The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Post by Tenbury »

Exiledin cardiff wrote:LC you smashed it in one. I have Bi Polar and the two ends of the spectrum from euphoria to dark depression is an enormous gap
From having to fight for PIP with out any help from a psych was hard ,going to the appeal and winning. triggered a Euphoric state the inevitable crash was horrid.
All I ask of people is that they treat me the same way as anyone else.
Mental Health care where I live is a lottery , self referral the norm and upto six months waiting list.
I went to A&E when I was having an episode and had a 3 minute meeting with a Dr who sent me away with anti depressants.
The NHS and Government need to do more. Just because you cant see our illness doesn't mean we are not ill.
x2 . I've just done the PIP thing this week.I still can't figure out where she was coming from.I know it's largely my own fault.There is much less support these last couple of years, my CMHN was redeployed, he used to come 3 times a week, and only my Gp is on my side these days. They seem to give up on you as you get older ,and concentrate on the younger ones,and maybe that's how it should be. There comes a time to withdraw gracefully, but this stupid bipolar creates so much financial and emotional ruin around you, that it's so hard to clear up your mess before you leave.
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

Tenbury wrote:WHBTS.
You know you can always pm me. Stick with that GP. Best Wishes.
Cheers buddy. Straight back at you on that count as always. :thup:
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2616 likes
Total likes: 938 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

WHBTS - I’d like to add to the appreciation of your well crafted and articulate posts. As you say, communication is a key thing, and you certainly can do that well.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Inspirational posting , West Ham By The Sea - keep strong , mate . :thup:
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 675 likes
Total likes: 1328 likes

Post by davids cross »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Inspirational posting , West Ham By The Sea - keep strong , mate .
Seconded..... :thup:
The Old Man of Storr

I tell you what , boys - I bet that despite your various disabilities , be it depression , bi-polar , asperger's or whatever , I'd bet that any of , all of you , would make better company than many who are considered ' normal ' or in the best of health , you're ALL OK in my book and I'd rather spend time with you than anyone . :thup:

Take Care of yourselves because your day will come .
Lt. Discussion

Post by Lt. Discussion »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:I tell you what , boys - I bet that despite your various disabilities , be it depression , bi-polar , asperger's or whatever , I'd bet that any of , all of you , would make better company than many who are considered ' normal ' or in the best of health , you're ALL OK in my book and I'd rather spend time with you than anyone . :thup:

Take Care of yourselves because your day will come .
Top post TOMOS. I tell to find that anyone who is in or come out the other side (me included) have a huge sense of empathy towards others which I find a great trait to have.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

This is the best and most important thread on here.

Hero's, every one of you.
Adrianisournumber1

Section 136 - advice

Post by Adrianisournumber1 »

I was detained under one of these 3 years ago, i am going through the DBS process for a new roll, i have to declare my section 136 despite the fact i was just detained so i could seek medical help for my health.
I am going on BBC on Tuesday morning to talk about my mental health and the things i am doing, i want to raise this as i feel it is discriminatory and not only that there appears to be no real guidance on it, it all depends on the inspector that night in charge if it shows or not, the only way to find out if it does is to do a subject of information request, that will take to long to do it for me this time. I also wasn't told about this by the police or the hospital i was discharged from 3 days later.

Imagine 2 people are going for a job one was sectioned 6 years ago lets say has no bearing what so ever on there life today but shows up on a dbs check, a person of equal say level to that person is also shortlisted for the job, id imagine 9times out of 10 the person without the section will be employ the person without the section 136.

The police say mental health isn't treated criminally any more yet treatment seems to say massively different, i tried to jump of a cliff the police sectioned me for my safety why should i be treated criminally for it especially 3 years later.
Lt. Discussion

Re: Section 136 - advice

Post by Lt. Discussion »

My understanding is you only declare convictions. A 136 is not an arrest either. Shouldn't show up at all.

Might be worth having a word with MIND to make sure but you shouldn't have to declare it IMO
The Old Man of Storr

Good Luck , Adrian . :thup:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I work with people who have suffered this. One, a lady, not far off my age, who had this some years ago, a male colleague who has been off work with depression and anxiety since August and who shows no sign of returning to work anytime soon and now my boss, also a female, has it too. My female colleague has just accepted a job offer elsewhere, so will be leaving the company within the next month and since our manager is currently off and may not be returning to work by the time the other lady leaves, which will be before Christmas, along with myself that is the sum total of our workforce. Naturally, I have no idea where this leaves me. I can work alone, no problem, but this is a fairly unique set of circumstances
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

What's your point?
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by ChzMff »

ChzMff wrote:Thank you for the kind words.

Following my post yesterday we had a further chat and my wife felt it was to extreme a step to be immediately admitted to the facility. We accepted help from my mother-in-law who has temporarily moved in with us, my wife will begin anti-depressants tomorrow and we will receive help from a perinatal team that includes nursery nurses, a psychologist and occupational therapist. She has accepted that if this does not work then the 24x7 facility would be the next option. In a way, we're lucky for her previous battles against this horrible illness as that has enabled us to get support so quickly.

When she previously suffered from depression she could not see it and as such, getting her to seek support was incredibly difficult. She thought I was mad, called me every name under the sun and every day was a constant struggle. She was very self aware today, openly admitted her feelings and that this was depression and that she wanted to take on all the help she could. That was a relief to me and also gives me hope going forward.
A month on and things have improved hugely. Looking back, it’s clear that sleep deprivation was a massive factor.

My wife has started taking medication which she’s already feeling the benefits of. I am doing in a feed in the night to give her some rest. And we’ve started to utilise the support network both professionally and from friends and family much more rather than burying our heads in the sand, trying to do it all ourselves.

Still, each day as it comes and celebrate the small victories.

As somebody who has been on the other side; living, loving and supporting somebody who has struggled with her mental health I can only keep emphasising that the first step seems to be talking about how you feel. That can be tremendously difficult but also will show that you are not alone.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Tenbury wrote:What's your point?

That I have made a post relevant to the topic and clearly this condition is evidently more widespread than I thought.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

Fair enough, please accept my apologies .
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Tenbury wrote:Fair enough, please accept my apologies .
Of course. No probs and I didn't take offence in any case. I remain intrigued by this condition and the evident number of sufferers. It must have something to do with the pressure of life today
mushy
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 880 likes

Post by mushy »

Tenbury wrote:What's your point?
Puff Daddy wrote:.

That I have made a post relevant to the topic and clearly this condition is evidently more widespread than I thought.
Puff Daddy wrote:In my job of trying to get the long term unemployed back into work, I counsel a hell of lot of people suffering from anxiety and depression and my belief is, many of them hide behind this excuse. Yesterday, one of customers who claims to have suffered with this for nearly 10 years and who has not done a stroke of work in that time, told me, one in four people in this country has this condition. In a country with a 60 million population, does that mean 15 million of us are not quite right in the head ?
This is your real point though isnt it Puff?
F**k having you as a counsellor by the way.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

mushy wrote:

This is your real point though isnt it Puff?
F**k having you as a counsellor by the way.
Dear oh dear, don't know where that came from. I am not a psychotherapist, or medically trained counsellor. My job is that of an Employment Consultant operating a contract on behalf of the DWP called The Work Programme to move people into work. Many of what remains of this contract are now people with either barriers to work, or other long term health conditions, most of whom are those suffering from mental health issues. I cannot help them overcome their conditions, but what I can do and all I can do is help them think about work and the benefits of work
mushy
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 880 likes

Post by mushy »

And you think that making lazy assumptions about them hiding behind mental health issues actually helps them in anyway?