The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Post by Tenbury »

Matthew,Christopher, hope today is a good one,everyone here wants you both to get well.

I just wanted to give a massive big up to Dibble and his fellow emergency workers.To be honest, the OB haven't always been top of my Christmas card list,but the change in their approach towards people suffering mental illness over the past few years has probably been the best thing that's happened to people like me in decades.Nobody should be afraid to call the emergency services, if they hit absolute rock bottom and they or the people around them are in danger.In my experience you will be treated with understanding and dignity,the guys that picked me up I'd be happy to have as friends.Top people.
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

Christopher, Please be strong and think of the good things about your Dad. So many on here rooting for you.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Christopher. I put a post on earlier before learning of your situation. Whilst I maybe have problems of my own I wish you well. Good luck. :crest:
mushy
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

a quick check list -

SAMARITANS free phone number is - 116 123 (UK)
email -jo@samaritans.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
letter (free) Freepost RSRB-KKBY-CYJK
Chris
PO Box 9090
STIRLING FK8 2SA

Or you can actually visit -
find your nearest branch here - https://www.samaritans.org/branches
There are branches in Ilford, Waltham Forest and Havering among others.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

ironworkersgrandson wrote:i been doing some "mindfulness" stuff ....
It's good isn't it. It's enabled me to gain a good sense of self awareness and perspective. It's also given me a new attitude of if anyone asks for my help, personally or professionally, then I will do anything I can to do so. Not so I am owed, not because it gives me a sense of satisfaction but because it's the right thing to do.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2011 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Did anyone manage to get in contact with ELH (Christopher) via PM?
Officer Dibble
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by Officer Dibble »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Did anyone manage to get in contact with ELH (Christopher) via PM?
He hasn't PM me

Hopefully someone else has heard from him though?
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 376 likes

Post by Phil S »

Amazing thread and amazing people

this thread should be a permanent sticky imo
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Officer Dibble wrote:
Hopefully someone else has heard from him though?

I'm afraid not.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Please, please do not give up.

Things can and do get better. Once you get a glimpse of just some improvement, you grab it and want more.

Just think that at the moment you're being tricked with the wool over your eyes. Do not let it cool you into believing there's nothing here for you.

Please just don't do anything. Talk. Please..share.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Has anyone heard from Christopher?
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Last visited:Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:05 pm

That was the session start time I presume which contained his latest post.

Concerning.

Does anyone on here know Chris personally to get in touch?

Mods - do you have any further contact details?
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1291 likes

Post by davids cross »

Re : Christophers post....

Nobody who can write a post like that is worthless.

Beautifully written.

Would love to be proper friends with this man young man. Hopefully soon..... :thup:
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

davids cross wrote:Re : Christophers post....

Nobody who can write a post like that is worthless.

Beautifully written.

Would love to be proper friends with this man young man. Hopefully soon..... :thup:

Nicely said DC.

Chris - please get in touch so we all know you are ok.

Best,

David
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

At the end of the day there are very few people out there that have zero redeeming features. Everyone has a talent or a gift. They may not know it, but they do.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2603 likes
Total likes: 936 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

RichieRiv wrote:At the end of the day there are very few people out there that have zero redeeming features. Everyone has a talent or a gift. They may not know it, but they do.
You are quite right - for instance, those who have spoken about their issues here on KUMB are quite inspirational. Us blokes aren't any good at talking about issues and posts like theirs do an incredible amount to break down the stigma of silence and will encourage others to talk more.

Hats off to you.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

pablo jaye wrote:
You are quite right - for instance, those who have spoken about their issues here on KUMB are quite inspirational. Us blokes aren't any good at talking about issues and posts like theirs do an incredible amount to break down the stigma of silence and will encourage others to talk more.

Hats off to you.

:thup:
ironworkersgrandson

Post by ironworkersgrandson »

RichieRiv wrote:At the end of the day there are very few people out there that have zero redeeming features. Everyone has a talent or a gift. They may not know it, but they do.
we are all geniuses but if you jusdge a fish by how well he climbs a wall you will never find one ! englist and literacy are not my redeeming features haha x

chris,

pls let us know you are ok pal
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 206 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

I would say that it is OK to be unremarkable. There are other qualities and virtues which I find more important in a person. Just basic decency such as kindness and patience are much more valuable in my eyes.

Christmas is a wonderful time for most people. But for many it is a polarising time of year. It can be so garish and indulgent. These moments just emphasise the hardships and loneliness that some can experience.

If you are reading this Christopher, I hope that you are OK. And if you are not then there are people here who are reaching out. Let us know how you are.
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

Heading to London tomorrow for a week and not having a smartphone I will be away from the inter web for a week, so just wanted to add my two-penneth. Am having a very rough time at the moment (long term thing, I have mentioned it a few times before albeit not on this thread...been diagnosed bipolar this year on top of 28 years depression, so not great at the mo). I'm hoping a few days with my loved ones will help...maybe it'll drive me up the wall!

This goes out to everyone struggling at the mo, but particularly at this moment in time to Matt and Christopher.

Feeling worthless is horrible. Trust me I know. One of the most infuriating things about it is that at the back of our minds, we kind of know it not to be true. It's a hateful, aggressive trick our mind plays on us, and despite the fact it's 'only a trick', it can become all-consuming. We see the way the world around us judges itself, and unfairly compare that superficial sense of worth to ourselves...whether it's TV advertising hammering us with false values, or friends and strangers (understandably) sharing happiness based on anything from having kids, getting promotion, losing weight, being in love, or eating in a restaurant out of our league (and a million things beside). And our inherent competiveness can let that weigh on us disproportionately. When we're ok, we find it easier to enjoy the happiness of others...when it gets really bad, it can feel like a kick in the teeth. And we often then (wrongly of course) judge ourselves as failures, a disappointment to others, worthless.

As desperately hard or even impossible as it often appears, it's twaddle. Why? Because there is nobody worse placed to judge our self when we're low or high than our self. It goes both ways. Those of us who feel worthless have got it all wrong, because we misread and warp how we feel both the way the world judges us and therefore how we should follow suit. Meanwhile, those who judge that their own **** don't stink... they become Donald Trumps. And however low I get, I will never envy Donald Trump, because deep down, I know both he and I have got the wrong idea about ourselves.

Matt, Christopher, anyone else in this boat, if you're reading. You're not remotely worthless. None of us are. Just because our mind tricks us into believing it don't make it true. I won't patronise you with blarney about 'you have everything to live for', although it happens to be true; the fact that none of us who struggle can necessarily run up a list of immediate reasons as to why that is doesn't make it any less true. We just aren't aware what they are yet. But one day we will.

We are all worthwhile. Often we (as I said, me too, way too often), can't perceive how that is true. But it is. When our family and friends aren't there in person anymore, it doesn't mean there isn't another family and there aren't more friends out there too. Strangers can become friends in the blink of an eye (and i can vouch for that through this website alone).

There is ALWAYS a reason to carry on, even if you don't yet know what it is yet.

There is ALWAYS someone out there who cares and who can help, even if you don't know who that is yet.

Sorry to ramble, but y'know. I know we are all wired differently, but there are universal truths out there, and I know what I've written to be part of those truths.

Matt, Chris, and anyone else... feel free 24/7 to PM me (won't be on the web until next Thursday but a PM by 11am tomorrow i can give my mobile number if required).

Love and peace to everybody here.

Stu :crest: