The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Post by ChzMff »

Hi Christopher, I'm sorry you are in so much pain. There's a huge network here of (generally!) like minded people who are happy to listen. You are not alone. As this thread shows, other people have been there so please do continue to share how you feel and talk. Drop me a PM if you would prefer mate.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Christopher, I hope you can take a minute to read this.
Life has dealt you a really lousy hand of cards.Does your support worker realise how bad you are right now? You know you can call the Samaritans 24hrs a day, I have myself many times,they don't judge you, they just listen.And as you know,right now,that's just about the only comfort you can find.
Given the voices you are hearing,I seriously question if you are taking the right meds, make sure your care worker understands EXACTLY how you are.
Above all,Christopher, your Dad wouldn't want you to harm yourself, would he? He'd say get through this,make a life for yourself.
I know it seems like no-one can ever have felt as bad as you do now, but read back on this thread,maybe some have,and still turned it round.
Pm me anytime,mate .Best Wishes.
matthewbd
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by matthewbd »

To those that replied to my post. Thank you.

I'm not feeling any better about myself today but I don't feel as dark as I did. I phone the Samaritans but couldn't get the words out out how I feel. It seems easier to type it up somehow so I followed my call up with an email.

I've called my GP as well to get some help. I just hope I can express the way I feel well enough for them to understand.

The self loathing won't ever go away I don't think; I guess I just need help in how to deal with it better.
Last edited by matthewbd on Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2490 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

If you find it easier write it all down and hand it to your GP to read, they will understand.

A friend of mine gave in to the black dog when his little girl small, she had her first child last year and so wishes that he had been there to hold his grandchild. Please ensure you get help for her sake as much as yours, it is not weakness it is merely recognising that you can't beat this alone.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Don't give up.
matthewbd
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by matthewbd »

Thanks HH.

I may well do that.

I love my girl so much but when she's older, she's going to see that I'm a failure and I don't want to let her down. I just don't see how she'll ever look up to me like me and my sisters do to my Dad. He is superman. I can't even wire a plug! My wife has to get her Dad round to do anything in respect of the house. It's things like that which remind me how pathetic I am.

Like I say, I'm in a better place today but will always be aware of my many many faults.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Rocketron »

matthewbd wrote:Thanks HH.

I may well do that.

I love my girl so much but when she's older, she's going to see that I'm a failure and I don't want to let her down. I just don't see how she'll ever look up to me like me and my sisters do to my Dad. He is superman. I can't even wire a plug! My wife has to get her Dad round to do anything in respect of the house. It's things like that which remind me how pathetic I am.

Like I say, I'm in a better place today but will always be aware of my many many faults.
If your little girl grows older, it's a sign that you are definitely not a failure.
I tried to kill myself some years ago as I felt a failure, unloved and unlovable.
I'm so glad that was where I failed. Life since has been so much better.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I think a certain amount of self-doubt a necessary to be a balanced human being. Can be easy to become consumed by it, but at least it shows you’re capable of it. Contrast that against the people you encounter through life that do not have a shred of self-doubt. They are rarely balanced or healthy people, and they’re almost pathologically incapable of empathy.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2490 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

^^ Very true Dan
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Dan :thup:
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 469 likes

Post by DrVenk »

Well said Dan.

Hope you get treated well by the GP matthew. Keep coming on here and let us know how you're doing.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 754 likes
Total likes: 3480 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

EastLondonHammer wrote:I am a useless freak that would be better of dead.
It breaks my heart to read posts like this. If I'd listened to similar voices twenty five years ago ELH, my three children would never have born and we certainly wouldn't be sharing this conversation as KUMB would never have happened.

I hope you too, one day, can look back and be thankful that you kept up the good fight. Don't hesitate to PM me any time, night or day, if you need/want someone to talk to. Godspeed to all of you fighting off the black dog.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Christopher, you are not alone mate, there are plenty of us who have been through dark moments, don't give up though, please speak to someone. It will get easier with time, even though it might not feel like it right now.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2603 likes
Total likes: 936 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

It's amazing how many people do have mental health issues. We had a presentation at work yesterday (to about 70 of us) about Managing mental health by this chap called David Beeney - a really inspirational chap whough delivered a thought provoking and talk. At the end, there was a q and a session and it was quite surprising how many people suddenly opened up about issues that they were having to deal with - both personally and others in their family. This reaction did really appear to show that the lid had been opened on the box and the stigma associated with mental health was being removed to some extent.
Lt. Discussion

Post by Lt. Discussion »

Christopher

After at least 15 years lurking. You got me to register (Thanks Graeme)p
I've pm'd you and implore you get in touch. Your recent travails are very similiar. I want to help. I believe I can help where no box ticking psychiatric nurse can't. You have my number. Please text me. I can see you tomorrow if you want. Wnat a great virgin KUMB post!!

Please mate
My phone is on 247. I know its a massive effort as you think no one cares and you.dont want to burden anyone. But people care. Especially ones whove been there.
Officer Dibble
Has liked: 40 likes

Post by Officer Dibble »

matthewbd - If you are happy to then PM your personal EMail, whilst I am on nights tomorrow I will send you an EMail I have at work in relation to where you can try to get help. If you are still in Farnborough then there will walk in places local to you included.

Christopher - As I said to Matt, feel free to PM your EMail address as well, not sure where you live, but some of the information I have on the Email I can send will apply yo you as well. Reading your post you say you have no friends or family local, does this mean that you do have people elsewhere that care for you? I know that you are in a low place right now, however, there are people that are there to help and support you. I speak from personal experience that when you feel low it is bloody hard to see a way out, but believe me, there is a way, it can be long and hard but there is a way.

One of the more positive things throughout the year has been the honest accounts William and Harry gave following the death of Diana. Their honesty has led to other people in the public eye to share their experiences too. The stigma of Mental Health is beginning to change, I know that there is still a long way to go, but I feel we are on a path to a better understanding of the problems.

Professionally the way I deal with people with Mental Health problems has changed drastically during my time as a Police Officer, and I also see the change in the people I work with. If either of you, or anyone else for that matter, ever feel that they are in a dark place then call 999, you will be treated with respect, care and empathy by every member of the Emergency Services.

If you can't put what you want to say into words then please continue to post on here, there appears to be people on here that will read what you say and try to offer words of advice, comfort and empathy.
Lt. Discussion

Post by Lt. Discussion »

Hats off to Dibble. I found myself at the behest of the local constabulary due to my condition in the past. Having my only experience of plod through fooball, I wasn't expecting much.. They were great in fairness.

Matt. I've seen your posts too. And my offer goes out to you too. Drop of a hat, I'll be there. Again, the reason i offer is because I know you don't feel you want/need/hassle anyone.

I could use the whole of kumbs bandwidth with my story . I won't but I wholeheartedly extend my offer to yourself and eastlondonhammer.

Best
Lt. Discussion
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes

Post by ChzMff »

For those that prefer or find it easier to message then the Samaritans offer a SMS service. Text 07725909090. :thup:
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

I'm having a bit of a bad patch lately. I've noticed I'm becoming disproportionately aggressive and irritable. Not sure what to do about it if I'm honest.
I was a micky Flanagan at the o2 and there was an absolute tosser in front. pissed and arguing with his bird who was in the lobby outside during the gig. I asked him keep it down. He called me all sorts. I didn't react because of the people around me.
Anyways. He went to the toilet. I followed him down and really went for it.
He decided to leave.

It's out of character though. So I'm a bit worried.
Last edited by Hugh Jargon on Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ironworkersgrandson

Post by ironworkersgrandson »

hi all,

i been doing some "mindfulness" stuff either using audible books or apps on my phone. My counsellor recommended every night i right down 3 things i did well or am grateful for. my boy does the same and it really helps us. me being me said to the counsillor shall i put 3 things i did wrong as well !! she laughed and said no that's not the point its meant to be self gratitude !! we beat ourselves up to much !