The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Westcliffspur
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Post by Westcliffspur »

An update on my post a few pages ago about how I was sexually abused at school and beaten by two teachers. One of these former teachers was arrested on Saturday. The policewoman in charge of the investigation told my wife she was going to make sure he had a particularly unpleasant day. I was soaking up the sun in the garden when my wife took the call. The policewoman said not to call me in as I was with our youngest child. She also told my wife this investigation could get very big. I'm just pleased this b*stard will get some sleepless nights now.
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 469 likes

Post by DrVenk »

^^^ :thup: The wheels of justice are turning, and I hope they throw the book at him. Hopefully this goes to trial as quickly as it can with the right verdict to boot.

Again mate, so brave of you to do this. Thank you so much for coming back on and updating us all. Really chuffed for you that the police have acted swiftly.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Pay back time.
I 'm sure your courage will be a beacon for anyone else who may have been violated by this,or any other c**t, that they might also start the process of rebuilding their lives.
Your bravery is an inspiration for all of us.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Westcliffspur :thup:
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Samba »

Tenbury wrote:Thanks .
Bit of a rant really.I think can appeal any refusal, but that will cost more money. Ironically I find people easy to deal with face to face , the council won't meet me.
I stopped all my meds, and tried to turn 360 to do this,maybe it was a mistake.
No way you've screwed up this thread, Tenbury. Silly so & so!
Reading what you've put, tbh I can't see how they could turn you down but I know, it's not me making the decision & I know what councils are like.
What you suffer from, is naturally tending to make you fear the worst.
Everything crossed for you!

Quick question, why did you stop all meds?
Not criticising, btw.
Last edited by Samba on Tue May 08, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Westcliffspur wrote:An update on my post a few pages ago.
So pleased for you, Westcliff.
I hope you get the justice that you do deserve. :thup:
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Samba wrote: D
Quick question, why did you stop all meds?
Not criticising, btw.
Lithium ( the go to drug for BP1, and BP2, and if you or anyone you know is diagnosed ,please don't be put off by this as usually it's life-changing) reacts very badly in about 1 in a100 cases...like I want to be one of the herd..! All the other stuff I'm supposed to be on, well you get so as your not sure where the condition kicks in/side effects start.
I will have to start them again,pretty soon.
I suppose the council thing, while they really have offended me, is just symptomatic.
[ It's the implication that I'm a danger to other people...it's hard to explain, but when you don't value your own life,that doesn't mean you would hurt anyone else EXACTLY the reverse.My isolation comes from the realisation that everybody else sees their existence as of value,and I would NEVER do anything to alter that.People that harm others in some grand gesture have a weird sense of self worth/importance /whatever, that doesn't register with me]

Anyhow, if WCS can deal with the sh*t he's going through who am I to moan?
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1237 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by last.caress »

Tenbury wrote:Anyhow, if WCS can deal with the sh*t he's going through who am I to moan?
My heart absolutely breaks for what Westcliffspur has gone through, and for what he will likely go through forevermore as a result, and I truly hope that he can find at least a measure of closure or peace from the developments he's relayed above. But Tenbury your problems, and Rio's, and HammermanDan's, and RARS', and mine and everybody else's are relative to our own experiences. You know that, mate, but it bears repeating. So don't do yourself down or dismiss what you're going through. :thup:
Samba

Post by Samba »

Tenbury wrote: Lithium ( the go to drug for BP1, and BP2, and if you or anyone you know is diagnosed ,please don't be put off by this as usually it's life-changing) reacts very badly in about 1 in a100 cases...like I want to be one of the herd..!
Anyhow, if WCS can deal with the sh*t he's going through who am I to moan?
You moan as much as you bloody well want, Tenbury!
Like last.caress was getting at, we've all got our own heaven & hell, in our own heads.
Drugs can have different effects on different people, can't they? Until the future's here, for now, it's a bit of trial & error, with all of the unpleasant side-effects that might, or might not, entail.
I seem to remember Stephen Fry saying that he stopped taking Lithium because of how it affected him. Perhaps it's ok for him to do that, with his own particular life situation.
One day, the drugs & treatments that science will develop, will make these days, look like the dark ages.

I know EXACTLY what you mean about the council hoops that you're having to go through. It doesn't help knowing that the ONLY reason they're doing it, is to avoid being sued in the future, IF anything went wrong.
They just don't get that, although you might wish you weren't alive (sometimes), you would NEVER hurt anybody else, in a million years.
We're all still hoping for the best! :thup:
Last edited by Samba on Wed May 09, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Not hoping to derail the thread in anyway but I was after some advice and thought you lot might give some.

In the past 12 months I've had a few periods where I've become really irritable, mostly when looking after my children, while at the same time feeling really happy and positive about things.

On a handful of occasions I have lost it with them, when they've been little shits to be fair, and have screamed at them and almost lost control totally. I haven't hit them but have found myself thinking that I would bloody love to.

I don't have a stressful life or job but things have been a bit chaotic this year and I have found myself uncomfortable in my surroundings. I'm confident that will be resolved when I get my office space back in the next couple of weeks (when our builders foxtrot oscar).

I've tried to write this on here numerous times but it's hard to say "I'm a **** to my kids". My parents were, and are, awful and I can't stand the thought that my children would have those feelings about me. Plus, I want them to be happy and having a moody father can't be good for them.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Mega Ron wrote:it's hard to say "I'm a **** to my kids".
Hard, maybe - but you shouldn't feel like a failure if you do. I've blown up a few times at my eldest daughter, then felt horribly guilty afterwards. The only thing that part alleviated that was to apologise and to try to explain why I lost my temper and became so aggressive.

A bit of parental fear isn't a bad thing in kids - lots of my daughter's friends have no respect or fear of their parents, and they're growing up to be utter sh*ts. Getting the balance right is tough, especially when it can be as frustrating as it is when they won't listen.

It's difficult not to replicate some parental behaviour, they're your main point of reference for parenthood, for better or worse.
mushy
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

I know many of you are not fans of soaps, but Coronation Street is covering the male suicide issue this week.
(spoiler alert!).
Here is a good article from the Samaritans -:
https://www.samaritans.org/news/careful ... versations

The storyline particularly relates to those that do not reach out and keep it to themselves, in this case with seemingly little or no outward symptoms, sometimes even close family are unaware that there is anything wrong. This by the way is common .

Some stats you might be aware of -
On average there are 84 male suicides every week in the UK.
75% of suicides are male.
Suicide is the biggest killer in males under the age of 45.

If any of you are ever in that horrible dark place and feel there is no end to it all, I implore you to talk to someone, anyone (that will listen), the Samaritans are a good place to start (116 123).
But even talking on a forum like this is a fantastic place to start.
You would be surprised how doing this actually helps.
Please do it.
Crouching Peeky
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Crouching Peeky »

mushy wrote:I know many of you are not fans of soaps, but Coronation Street is covering the male suicide issue this week
I thought they handled it superbly although it was all a little too close to home to be honest.

I wonder why 75% of suicides or men? Do men not cope as well as women? Do we not open up as well as women? If so, does that bottling up process result in the higher numbers?
Samba

Post by Samba »

Mega Ron wrote: I've tried to write this on here numerous times but it's hard to say "I'm a **** to my kids". My parents were, and are, awful and I can't stand the thought that my children would have those feelings about me. Plus, I want them to be happy and having a moody father can't be good for them.
You do seem to have a bit of insight to this, Ron. Which is a good thing.
I think Dan's post is very good.
Quite often, when we blow up, it can be related to things in the past, rather than the more obvious, present.
It also goes to explaining a lot of things, like some cases of road-rage.
Samba

Post by Samba »

mushy wrote:I know many of you are not fans of soaps, but Coronation Street is covering the male suicide issue this week
Crouching Peeky wrote:I thought they handled it superbly although it was all a little too close to home to be honest.
I wonder why 75% of suicides or men? Do men not cope as well as women? Do we not open up as well as women? If so, does that bottling up process result in the higher numbers?
I think you've answered your own question, CP.
Males have always been brought up to not cry, to not show emotions & my hated phrase, 'to grow a pair'.
Women probably have more emotional outlets/relationships but they obviously can, & do still suffer.
Bottling up feeling bad is potentially, very harmful for all of our our mental healths.
We don't always feel that we've got somewhere to get help, which only makes it worse, of course, but is another reason why we might automatically, bottle things up..
Mushy's advice is very good.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2011 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

A mate of mine is a paramedic, and a few weeks ago was part of a team that had the unfortunate task of retrieving a body of a man in his 20's that had sadly taken his own life by hanging himself from a tree.

Apparently he was wearing a West Ham shirt.

I really hope he wasn't one our Kumb members that was in desperate need of some help. :(
mushy
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

Crouching Peeky wrote: I thought they handled it superbly although it was all a little too close to home to be honest.

http://metro.co.uk/2018/05/01/coronatio ... s-7512010/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As Samba says, think you have more or less answered your own question.
The above is another good article on the current Coronation Street story line.
Samba

Post by Samba »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:A mate of mine is a paramedic, and a few weeks ago was part of a team that had the unfortunate task of retrieving a body of a man in his 20's that had sadly taken his own life by hanging himself from a tree.
Apparently he was wearing a West Ham shirt.
I really hope he wasn't one our Kumb members that was in desperate need of some help. :(
That's really sad, eggy.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1291 likes

Post by davids cross »

Yep.....

Sad stuff.

About 10 years ago I was taking my dog for an early morning walk, something I did every day in them days. We were walking in the local park, and as always, I was sort of walking the dog around the edge of the field, like doing a big circle of the field, which was huge.......throwing the ball for her and stuff.

Then........ I suddenly saw what I thought was a bundle of old clothes just beneath a bridge which straddled the playing field and a dual carriageway. Something was drawing me to going and having a look.....

On approaching I saw the weirdest sort of image.......A clothed body, with no head.

My senses went bananas, what am I looking at here ? This is a manikin dummy, it must be. !!

I got down and looked very close. There was no blood except a tiny amount around the wrist.........but he was wearing a watch............surely manikins don't have watches on their wrists ??

The hair is now well up on the back of my neck. I'm feeling a bit unreal.

I look upwards to the railing of the bridge and see an orange rope, noose still in place.......Now it's adding up , this man had hung himself.

His weight had decapitated his head from his body...........and he had fallen loose from the noose.

I look to my right..........I see his head.............eyes closed.

Now, I'm feeling really strange.

I see a middle aged woman wandering around as if looking for someone. By now I had sought the help and confirmation of what I was looking at by a local builder working about 100 yards way. We chat, he takes a look and says "yeah that's a body"

Suddenly I hear screaming and crying..............the wandering woman had wandered over and she was indeed the girlfriend of this poor, poor man.

What a terrible sight for her. My builder friend comforts her while I call the emergency services.

It was in the local paper, with apparently a photo of the dead man.

I could never look or read anything about it. I felt traumatised. I think I still am a bit.

I rarely go a day without thinking about his last moments, or thinking abut the scene that confronted me.

So sad, Please anyone ,ask for help..........Suicide is not pretty. And someone has to find you, they are a victim too.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Has anybody heard from Christopher?

When did he last log on?