What do you do?

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: What do you do?

Postby Mega Ron on Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:37 am

Mega Ron wrote:
I saw the end of that role on the horizon.....

RichieRiv wrote:
I have to admit that surprises me - proof that assumption and opinion mean very little.

Having worked for a competitor (albeit not in that division) then a sister company and now back with the competitor, I've always looked at the Legal business as a fairly stable "safe place". By this I mean it's not something can be replaced and hence LN / TR as leaders are relatively stable (albeit not glamorous)

Editorial roles in the sector are being/have been offshored on a huge scale. When I started there were hundreds in roles similar to mine but now we are down to 9.

With me gone that will be 8 and the slack will be taken up in Manila.
Mega Ron

Postby east_ham on Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:54 pm

I have had my own Company for the past 16 years , I contract to industries and organisations when they need data reports from there IT systems.

I am currently working for a Local Council , creating/recreating new reports for there departments to see if they meet KPI targets.

I have in the past worked for defence , oil , telecomms.

I find contracting the most exciting way to work , I never know what I am facing , I can go into a role and ask awkward questions (hey I don't know that X Dept Manager has an issue with Y dept Manager , Im there to get a job done , and you don't want to keep someone your paying X quid a day hanging about).

Saying that I also hate it as I constantly moving about , never seeing , longterm impact of my reports or building something....that and dealing with HMRC for tax....
east_ham

Postby WHU_Del on Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:15 pm

Big George wrote:Instead I make programme for Radio 4, 5 & World Service.

Pathetic eh?.

(Serious)

A mate of mine was a WS producer until recently, but he's been doing a lot for the BBC as a freelance since.
WHU_Del

Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Postby OFT on Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:59 pm

There ain,t half some clever barstards on here, l' ll lower the tone a little

I have a small retail shop and workshop I design and make bespoke (ugh!) Pieces of mainly 'country style' furniture, some polished, some painted, all by hand and from scratch (I.e. rough sawn timber) a customer tells me what they would like and I tell them what will be nice :) I also make new pieces out of old broken bits and 'restore' a few old pieces. I.m self taught, and can pick an choose the jobs I fancy, there s no real money in it but I like it and it keeps me sane, broadly speaking
OFT

Postby DasNutNock on Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:09 pm

I would love to do what you do, OFT. I'm putting together a small workshop at the moment, and sourcing a small set of tools to get some DIY projects under way (bathroom first). My neighbour does a lot of his own small construction and joinery work and I've resolved to get a lot more handy around the house, having been mugged a couple of times recently by ****hole contractors.

First woodwork project is a BBQ table, naturally. Don't be surprised if you get some PMs from me in the future, begging for help.
DasNutNock

Postby OFT on Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:19 pm

Glad to help if I can but it's not that difficult 80% of the job is in the eye.. I manage with a table saw, radial arm saw, thicknesser and Morticer . I,ve just bought a spindle moulder which I may or may not use, but it was cheap. I tend to use hand tools for that old and quirky look
OFT

Postby DasNutNock on Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:40 pm

Have just got the things I've needed for recent projects so far - 18v driver, utility bar (flat crowbar thing for lifting floorboards), clamps to glue and repair the broken floorboards, workbench, new saw etc. I keep seeing a Mikita circular saw in Homebase, and am increasingly convinced I "need" it. Have also been reading up on how to turn it into a table saw, although I am clearly getting ahead of myself.
DasNutNock

Postby east_ham on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:57 am

WHU_Del wrote:A mate of mine was a WS producer until recently, but he's been doing a lot for the BBC as a freelance since.

best place I ever worked at WS , I would go back in a heartbeat.
east_ham

Postby warp on Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:03 pm

i am the resident gigolo in an all-female, high-end nursing home. the tips are nice and beats doing your mums for free.
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby The Collector on Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:10 pm

I work in Cyber Security for a UK company. I have a team of 5 in Edinburgh, 8 in London and 5 in Dirty Leeds. Also, some partner resource in Chennai.
The Collector

Postby Monkeybubbles on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:23 pm

warp wrote:i am the resident gigolo in an all-female, high-end nursing home. the tips are nice and beats doing your mums for free.

Just the tip?
Monkeybubbles

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:20 am

Monkeybubbles wrote:quote="warp"]i am the resident gigolo in an all-female, high-end nursing home. the tips are nice and beats doing your mums for free.[/quote

Just the tip?

It's where the juiciest parts are .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Estuary on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:29 am

Producer, distributor and film and TV rights owner since 1982.
Estuary

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:32 am

Television Critic and Mattress Tester .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby szola on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:37 pm

Shanghai Hammer wrote:I also had a related former life working in refuges camps for a few years.

:clap:

Another one who've dipped his toes in the same waters as myself. Although I've only been on the other end of the production line. First as a case worker for the people you've given shelter to, and now dealing with the procurement side of the industry.

One of my neighbours works with setting up camps around the globe. Gets to travel to some interesting places while at it - Burkina Faso, DRC, Palestine, Burma.
szola

Postby matthewbd on Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:02 pm

Christ, after reading through these it's further confirmed how much my job sucks and how I've wasted my life.

I work as in private medical insurance, conducting market reviews for companies who offer PMI as an employee benefit. Negotiating with insurers, working with consultants and producing reports.

Only upside is it's close to home, I don't need to stay past 5pm, & can work from home as and when I need to. Pay is "ok" but no real prospects and no other brokers work the way we do so my role doesn't exist outside this company.
matthewbd

Postby fjthegrey on Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:06 pm

matthewbd wrote:upside is it's close to home, I don't need to stay past 5pm, & can work from home as and when I need.

For these reasons alone, your job is clearly superior to many.
fjthegrey

Postby Hummer_I_mean_Hammer on Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:10 pm

fjthegrey wrote:For these reasons alone, your job is clearly superior to many.

totally agree, so much else is well over rated.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Postby matthewbd on Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:18 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm aware of the advantages of working so close to home, and having just become a dad for the first time, I wouldn't move jobs anyway.

Just wish I was doing something that a) was close to home, b) paid well, and c) I was passionate about! But who doesn't!?
matthewbd

Postby Beavis Danzig on Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:46 pm

make music visuals, mainly for pop bands but with misc. corporate guff in there too. if you're in the habit of taking your 9 year old daughter to see her favourite girl band you've probably seen them.

the best thing about is that it's freelance and pays well enough that i can do alright for myself while still having plenty of time to live the rest of my life. i never get a season ticket because i'm liable to disappear for a month the moment i've got a break and go off surfing somewhere.

also has the benefit of making my gibson les paul sound like nectar from heaven after a day spent listening to the latest chart mediocrity.
Beavis Danzig

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug