What do you do?

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: What do you do?

Postby Shanghai Hammer on Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:16 pm

Vince wrote:Did you ever bump into a guy called John Hare in Kosovo by chance ?

Not a name I know. There were quite a few agencies knocking around at the time. I didn't spend that much time actually in Kosovo as I was mainly in Albania on the border on the basis that NATO were bombing the crap out of Kosovo at the time.
Shanghai Hammer

Postby alkali on Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:26 pm

Retired after a charmed life in Animation and Higher Education.

Gotta be cancer soon then :)
alkali

Postby Eggs'n'nuts on Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:35 pm

I'm a gaffer/chargehand electrician in the film and TV industry.

My role is to sort out (electrical wise) the equipment needed for the shoot, sorting out crew (I even employ Happydaystoytown very now and then), dealing with production, writing out risk assessments (don't get me started).

Studio wise, once the lamps are rigged and the sets lit, I'm the principle electrician on the studio floor; the man in between the production gallery and the studio floor itself; "tweaking" the lights depending on the shot, liaising with the other departments (cameras, sound, props) for the smooth running of the show.

Every now and then, another gaffer will book me to just spark a job. It's great as you can just get on with a job without any pressure or bulls**t.

I've been doing it now for the around 37 years. It'll never make me a millionaire, but it beats working for a living!
Last edited by Eggs'n'nuts on Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eggs'n'nuts

Postby warp on Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:38 pm

Eggs'n'nuts wrote:It'll never make me a millionaire, but it beats working for a living!

*old thumbs up facey as the new one sucks balls*
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby Eggs'n'nuts on Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:41 pm

*old thumbs up facey as the new one sucks balls*[/quote]

I'll take that as a compliment Warp!
Eggs'n'nuts

Postby warp on Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:45 pm

it is and i'll recycle that line for sure! Image
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby hammerdivone on Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Shanghai Hammer wrote:I work in international development, which basically means working with large funders (World Bank, Asian Development Bank, DFID etc) to define and manage projects in developing countries that will have a real impact on improving people's lives such as water supplies, sanitation, climate resilience etc. At the same time the projects must be sustainable and affordable.

It does mean a lot of travelling (I spend around a third of my time on the road) which is not great for the family but I do get to see some interesting places. Unfortunately, by definition, most of them are quite poor. Pay is just OK. Its nice to have a job though where the results are very clear to see.

I also had a related former life working in refuges camps for a few years. I helped to lead the relief efforts just after the Rwandan genocide and also during the Kosovo war. Our dear old Queen gave me an MBE for this back in 2006.

Do you work for or with Turner & Townsend?
hammerdivone

Postby Shanghai Hammer on Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:49 pm

hammerdivone wrote:Do you work for or with Turner & Townsend?

No but good guess. Its one of the biggest UK based firm of consultants, Mott MacDonald..
Last edited by Shanghai Hammer on Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shanghai Hammer

Postby Eggs'n'nuts on Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:50 pm

warp wrote:it is and i'll recycle that line for sure! Image

Be my guest matey!
Eggs'n'nuts

Postby hammerdivone on Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:51 pm

I do indeed, I used to run the DFID team in Turner & Townsend Europe, sending my PM's out to DR Congo, Bangladesh etc.

Do you know Steve Niblett at DFID by any chance?
hammerdivone

Postby Shanghai Hammer on Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:54 pm

hammerdivone wrote:I do indeed, I used to run the DFID team in Turner & Townsend Europe, sending my PM's out to DR Congo, Bangladesh etc.

Do you know Steve Niblett at DFID by any chance?

Very similar work then. No I don't know Steve. I know Martin Walshe? I haven't really worked much with DFID. The majority of my projects have been with the ADB, World Bank and currently the EIB.
Shanghai Hammer

Postby Vince on Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:07 pm

Shanghai Hammer wrote:Not a name I know. There were quite a few agencies knocking around at the time. I didn't spend that much time actually in Kosovo as I was mainly in Albania on the border on the basis that NATO were bombing the crap out of Kosovo at the time.

John was a Para. After his service he done some EOD work in Kosovo and other places around the globe. Currently back in the Falklands.
Vince

Postby smuts on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:14 pm

Senior project manager mainly doing new build stuff from 5 to about 30 million. Also do all the finance stuff for free for my wife's business.
smuts

Postby RichieRiv on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:28 pm

Mega Ron wrote:
I saw the end of that role on the horizon.....

I have to admit that surprises me - proof that assumption and opinion mean very little.

Having worked for a competitor (albeit not in that division) then a sister company and now back with the competitor, I've always looked at the Legal business as a fairly stable "safe place". By this I mean it's not something can be replaced and hence LN / TR as leaders are relatively stable (albeit not glamorous)
RichieRiv

Postby rigoberts song on Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:02 pm

Im a PR consultant to a premeirship football team currently owned by a couple of major players
in the sex shoos industry.Funny thing hapoened last week they upset the owner of a portugese team ! and they sre working out how to let their current manager go.last year they even sold and demolidhed the clubs ground and changed the badge.Right couple of cards but loely guy's to work for.I let their son handle all the social media side of the job he's great at it.
rigoberts song

Postby Vince on Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:30 pm

Having worked for a large German company both in the UK and here in the States, I started my own shipping and logistics company in 2000 and eventually sold the remainder of my shares to a Chinese company end of 2015.
We also have a small family real estate business. My wife the broker of the company, does the buying, selling of houses and looks for good deals for either flips or rental opportunities.
Me, I take care of the financials, plus we have a rental side of the business which are either personal properties which I take care of and we also do a lot of insurance work. So with Harvey and Irma around the corner we will be insanely busy in the next few weeks.
Vince

Postby Big George on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:01 am

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:I am a retail consultant (of sorts), with a background in consumer research.
Broadly speaking my company helps brands 'win at retail' either bricks and mortar or online.
This involves analysing consumer response (both Quantitative and Qualitatative) to understand and evaluate packaging design, POS tactics, merchandising, range management, new product testing, omnishopper strategies etc etc.
I work for an international company at their London office and manage a team of 8 and my clients include all the major FMCG manufacturers (Unilever, PepsiCo, J&J, SCJ, RB, Mondelez etc etc)
Today I was delivering a presentation on a proposed new packaging design for a popular drinks brand, Friday I will be delivering a presentation to a large food manufacturer about a proposed merchandising strategy they would like to implement in one of their categories. Probably In the office tomorrow catching up on client proposals that need writing.
It is fairly humdrum at times, and I have reached a glass ceiling, but I have known my direct boss (UK MD) for years and so can pretty much work my own hours as long as stuff gets done. In my current life-stage this is a major positive for me.

Sadly, this is my dream job. Ever since I sat on a sack on potatoes in my dads greengrocers
Shop in Billet Lane Hornchurch in th e early 70's.

Instead I make programme for Radio 4, 5 & World Service.

Pathetic eh?.

(Serious)
Last edited by Big George on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big George

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:03 am

Not started yet , but in three weeks' time I'll be Chief Toilet Cleaner on a SuperYacht in Italy - woop woop , down 'scope , you wanna the spaghetti sauce on a da chippers ?
Bonna Voyagee .

Bugger me , I'm a natural .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby lewisham-mer on Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:52 am

Full time trade union rep (assistant branch secretary) in a south london council.

My job is to negotiate the best terms and conditions for members, negotiate with the employers (it's not just the council but other private contractors: the dustmen, care home and care agency workers, voluntary sector etc). Most of my time is spent trying to get people out of trouble and lessen the sanction they could/should receive.

It's always interesting as different employers have a different interpretation of employment law as well as their own internal policies and procedures.
lewisham-mer

Postby RichieRiv on Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:05 am

Shanghai Hammer wrote:Mott MacDonald..

Mate of mine works for Mott as does his wife. They back in Croydon, but spent 6 years in Abu Dhabi and then just over a year in Hong Kong working on the airport extension. He's into roads and runways, she an environmental engineer.
RichieRiv

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug