Central Heating Watch 2017

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Central Heating Watch 2017

Postby hammerdivone on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:56 am

Have taken the bedroom windows off summer setting now, but the fanlight will remain open all through winter.

Heating on? Not on your nelly

So much for Eastenders being hard :wink:
hammerdivone

Postby Estuary on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:56 am

No CH on yet, but we have had two nights in the last week where we had the log fire going in the lounge.
Estuary

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:43 am

I think we had 3 days without any central heating this year - a record .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby somerset-hammer on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:47 am

The Old Man of Storr wrote:I think we had 3 days without any central heating this year - a record .

Crikey TOMOS.. I blame global warming!
somerset-hammer

Postby peter49uk on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:54 am

chelmsfordhammer91 You should only need to bleed a rad if its not working correctly.

What a lot of people miss doing is making sure their system is keeping clean if not that's when you get a build up of sludge that normally works its way to the bottom of a rad, it comes about with the process of the heating and cooling of the water in the system.

What is required is an inhibitor to be added to your system.
https://www.fernox.com/inhibitors-protectors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; showing all

https://www.fernox.com/inhibitors-prote ... r-f1-290ml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; this one is quite easily to add.
peter49uk

Postby Monkeybubbles on Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:22 pm

Ah, bollox to this. It's bloody freezing, bloody wet and bloody windy.

I switched the heating on in the office this morning, booked a flight to Spain for a couple of days time, and came home (where it's warm).

And before you start, I'm harder than you.
Monkeybubbles

Postby Kennet on Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:52 pm

CH automatically on when I awoke this morning!

Although wet and windy it has remained warm in NL but that's it for summer it seems :(
Kennet

Postby djclipz on Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:51 pm

Yesterday tested me, but it did make me realise that it appears the hinges have worn on the windows. Doesn't look like the windows are fully closing shut and leaving a gap on the hinge side. :(

I managed to push them flat from the outside, but that isn't gonna fly.
djclipz

Postby hammerdivone on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:53 pm

djclipz wrote:Yesterday tested me, but it did make me realise that it appears the hinges have worn on the windows. Doesn't look like the windows are fully closing shut and leaving a gap on the hinge side. :(

I managed to push them flat from the outside, but that isn't gonna fly.

If they are UPVC friction hinges they are easily and cheaply replaced

http://www.screwfix.com/search?search=friction+hinges
hammerdivone

Postby WHU Independent on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:16 pm

We had the font door open all day so come about 7pm when we shut it, it was quite nippy at home. I had to replace shorts for trackkie bottoms (1st time this year) and even then it was cold, so we put the heating on for an hour to take the nip out the air. An hour later it was lovely and it went off again.
WHU Independent

Postby ageing hammer on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:03 pm

I couldn't stick the nip in air for another night so it's on in my house tonight. Bloody biting strong wind around all day.

Nice and cosy now. 8-)
ageing hammer

Postby sendô on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:11 am

I've put the rad in the bathroom on for an hour in the morning, so that I get warm, dry towels.
sendô

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:13 am

sendô wrote:I've put the rad in the bathroom on for an hour in the morning, so that I get warm, dry towels.

Had a thermostat/timer shower rad installed last spring, noticed it made the room nice and toasty when I went for a slash this morning. Best turn that off, eh.
DasNutNock

Postby fjthegrey on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:29 am

It's still nowhere near having even crossed my mind.

It isn't even cold yet.
fjthegrey

Postby djclipz on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:29 am

hammerdivone wrote:
If they are UPVC friction hinges they are easily and cheaply replaced

http://www.screwfix.com/search?search=friction+hinges

:thup: Yeah cheers, i think they are... but need to have a closer look. The stupid part is the arrow head on the hinge which is meant to lock into the socket when you close it is made of plastic. So was bound to crack/break eventually. Where as, on those screwfix alternatives the arrow part appears to be metal. But i think that is just part of the problem anyway, the hinges just need replacing!
djclipz

Postby mushy on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:18 pm

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote::

They were all fine earlier this year when the heating was on so will check again when it gets too cold that we put it back on.

I take it then that they don't need to be bled every year? And can be a good few years without a bleed if all is working as it should?

Its a sealed system so in theory you should only need to bleed radiators when something isn't quite right, the water in the system can only be displaced by air (or gas) in two ways I believe.
First is some sort of leak where water slowly drips out somewhere to be replaced by air, the other way is when you have too much old crap in your system, this then reacts with the very hot water to form some sort of gas(cant remember which).
Generally speaking the only radiator that should need bleeding is the one at the highest point in your house.
Power flushing the system seems to work well, then add an inhibitor.
mushy

Postby mushy on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:20 pm

DasNutNock wrote:
Had a thermostat/timer shower rad installed last spring, noticed it made the room nice and toasty when I went for a slash this morning. Best turn that off, eh.

WTF is a shower rad? or do you mean its installed in the shower room?
mushy

Postby hammerdivone on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:23 pm

djclipz wrote: :thup: Yeah cheers, i think they are... but need to have a closer look. The stupid part is the arrow head on the hinge which is meant to lock into the socket when you close it is made of plastic. So was bound to crack/break eventually. Where as, on those screwfix alternatives the arrow part appears to be metal. But i think that is just part of the problem anyway, the hinges just need replacing!

It's a common problem on older UPVC windows, but even the new hinges still have nylon/plastic sliders.

Beware, the sash can be quite heavy and is really a two person job, but it's really easy to change them - just 6 screws.

If the holes don't line up, use a very small drill to drill a pilot hole for the crew
hammerdivone

Postby hammerdivone on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:26 pm

sendô wrote:I've put the rad in the bathroom on for an hour in the morning, so that I get warm, dry towels.

Funnily enough I thought I would do the same, so turned all the rad valves off around the house causing one in the spare bedroom to start leaking. The problem is it's an old imperial rad so can't fit the new metric valves to it.

Had to drain the system down, take the rad out, cap off the flow and return, fill the system back up again, balance the system, order new rad and valves all ready to fit on Friday.

FFS!
hammerdivone

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:35 pm

mushy wrote:WTF is a shower rad? or do you mean its installed in the shower room?

Yes, sorry, should've called it a towel rad or something. Warms the (tiny) en suite shower/karzi and dries towels hung off it. Quite a smart bit of kit - has a programmable LED timer and thermostat on it, so you can have it run cool overnight, warm in the morning & evening and tickover during the day.

Have a similar model of electric rad in the master bedroom, too, which was a loft conversion that never got hot water plumbed in (shower's fed off a pump from the water tank). My only regret is that I let my sparky talk me out of the smaller unit I specified, having done all the calculations on room size before he ordered the larger one. I have to use the "tick over" thermostat setting otherwise the room gets too hot.
DasNutNock

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug