What have you won?

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: What have you won?

Postby Shy Ted on Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:09 pm

Brace of Pheasants in a raffle when I was eleven.
Mum told to get rid, so I gave them away.
Shy Ted

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:28 pm

Backed my first Grand National Winner aged 13 - Highland Wedding .

Last National Winner was in 2015 - Many Clouds which I backed at 33/1 , the following Saturday I backed Wayward Prince in the Scottish National , again at 33/1 - only put £10 on both but £600+ in one week is the most I've ever won .

Won a competition that Tennents Lager were running during the 1980s - you had to guess which of Lester Piggott's 7 Derby Winners would finish 1st , 2nd , 3rd if they ran against each other in a computer generated race and you had to include a slogan - I guessed right but my slogan only gave me a 3rd prize - ' Lester Piggott Biography by Dick Francis ' signed by Lester Piggott . Still got it .
If memory serves me right , I went with Nijinsky - Sir Ivor - Crepello .

Our team won a School 5 aside Competition - Pen y Cefn Fairies - still got the little cup/medal thing by our telly .

I won the School Javelin Competition .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby dal on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:25 pm

Update,

The 3 missed calls was from ikea not itv. talk about a let down. she blamed the pub being noisy

thinking back I've had 4 numbers on the lottery 15 years ago. £100 and £70
dal

Postby westhamdave1 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:02 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Backed my first Grand National Winner aged 13 - Highland Wedding .

Last National Winner was in 2015 - Many Clouds which I backed at 33/1

I had that at 33/1 and lumped more on it at 25/1 on the morning of the race.

I did a similar thing with I'aventure in the Welsh National in 2005 .... 3 bets (33/1, 25/1 & 14/1)

Many many years ago I won a holiday on Invicta Radio (anyone remember Career The Geezer ?) .... the good news was it was 2 weeks in America for 2 people but you had to pay for one person. The bad news was that I had to choose from a booklet they sent me where all the hotels were Hilton / Sheraton etc and the prices were ridiculous. Shortly after "winning" Caeser was sacked by Invicta due to "fraud allegations" .... never found out if the two were linked !!
westhamdave1

Postby AnthraxDave on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:59 pm

I got sent a signed copy of the Oxford Dictionary after e-mailing Countdown in an ad break the answer to a numbers round that neither contestant or the lovely Rachel Riley could solve. I sold it on ebay for £200.
AnthraxDave

Postby last.caress on Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:35 am

-£1,000 as part of an £18,000 syndicate win on the lottery
-£100 on some TV crossword thing (or was it a wordsearch thing? I forget now, but I won anyway)
-A Quentin Tarantino soundtrack compilation CD, Rum Punch by Elmore Leonard on paperback (it was the novel which Tarantino adapted and made into the movie Jackie Brown), a Radio 1 record bag and a signed picture of Jo Wiley
-A trophy for Best Dressed Cub Scout at the Essex Cub Scouts St. George's Day parade, 1982

...aaand that's it, I think. Oh, and two or three Grand National winners over the last twenty five years(ish), but I'm not a gambler, the National's the only race I bet on and I only ever stick a couple of quid on to win, so maybe about £60 or so there in all? Something like that. Of course that also means that I've also lost close to fifty quid too, over that time, on all the other Nationals where my nag didn't come in. So, you know, swings and roundabouts.
last.caress
Extreme w*nker

Location: Se incontri L'ultima.carezza, prega per la tua morte.

Postby RichieRiv on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:47 am

Went on a works Beano down to Sandown back in 2002 (Japan World Cup). Had a score whip and got down there early doors to watch the England game. At the end of the football and without anyone's knowledge the whip holder put what was left (about 500) on the horse Boleyn Castle (he was of course West ham) which only came in. Didn't have to buy a drink for the rest of the day and at the end of the Beano the whip holder came down the coach and gave everyone a bullseye.

Other than that I won a holiday to Langkawi through work.
RichieRiv

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:14 am

Just last week won a quiz night at Hadleigh cricket club.

Going into the final round my team of four were about 10 points off the leaders in 3rd place. We then played our joker in the "guess the lyrics to a song" round and smashed all 10 questions.

Won the quiz, and donated our prize money to the charity it was in aid of. :thup:
westham,eggyandchips

Postby somerset-hammer on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:50 am

Beat Geoff Capes at arm wrestling, when he visited my primary school many years ago.
somerset-hammer

Postby djclipz on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:53 am

My best win to date was 2 fa cup final tickets and the VIP treatment from Budweiser. Free booze and food all day, can't complain.
djclipz

Postby Estuary on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:54 am

Had a lovely win from Fullers beers via a copy writing contest two Christmases ago. A hamper and a couple of cases of London Pride- My slogan, "Pride isn't just for Christmas, and it isn't just for London".
Not bad for random twitter thing while sitting on the train home.
Estuary

Postby Happyhammer52 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:18 am

Won a copy of LMA Manager 2006 for the Playstation 2. Got loads of extra little bits with it as well.

Few wins on the Premium Bonds lately, but nothing to make me stop work.
Happyhammer52

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:30 am

I didn't include Premium Bonds wins - we've had something every month bar two [ this last month and another ] - ranging between £25 - £75 - soon have to cash them in though as the builders are finally getting a move on .

Just remembered coming home drunk from work one Christmas Eve back in '78 [ an after work party ] with a turkey under my arm - I'd won it in a raffle apparently .

I never enter competitions , mainly as there aren't any up here - perhaps I should look online ?
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Hampshire Hammer on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:06 am

I won an air guitar competition, prize was presented by Sam Fox complete with kiss and hug. :thup:

I only entered because I'd had a few drinks and a mate bet me that I wouldn't.
Hampshire Hammer

Postby Tenbury on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:09 am

In 62 years, absolutely buggerall.
Tenbury

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:54 pm

I won an award for London Film Makers, judged by Mike Leigh, for my documentary on football violence.

Largest amount of money I've won is just over £4000 around 5-6 years ago after I backed Felipe total goal minutes @2 for around £100 total on Sporting Index with about 20mins left in the game and he popped up and scored a consolation for Fiorentina from a corner in about the 84th minute.
rare as rockinghorse shat

Postby FreeWheeling on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:58 pm

few years go done the super six on sky sports
Skybet offered me a free £10 bet on those results, thought **** it I aint paying
was 94/1
Wolves equalised in the 94th min to bring home the bacon
FreeWheeling

Postby Mega Ron on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:24 pm

About 10 years ago the Evening Standard started running lots of online competitions. I was winning things every week for about 6 months.

I won mobiles, DAB radios, £200 in vouchers for dinner at 15. there can't have been many people entering those competitions.
Mega Ron

Postby southbrishammer on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:36 pm

I won a Gary Davies "Young, Free and Single" tshirt after he read out my witty story on air, culminating in a Whiter Shade of Pale pun - something about a wider shape of snail.

I won a Barracudas CD off a local radio station - "write in and tell us why you should win this album" "because I remember that one of their songs started with babararacucudada". More likely it was because I was the only one who entered.

Best of all I won my work tenpin bowling competition. I know this thread is supposed to be about luck, but this really was. I am a crap bowler on the rare occasions I try, but that night I discovered that it's one thing that I get better at after a few beers - rather than really trying hard to aim and get the weight right, I just started wellying it, and getting strike after strike. It was a bit like watching Leicester win the league - surely it'll come to an end soon, but it didn't. I even got a trophy, which I still have.
southbrishammer

Postby James P on Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:35 pm

I won a lego castle in a spot the difference competition in the Daily Mail when I was about 6 or 7.
James P

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug