Nissan Micra K11 cutting out. Can anyone recommend a garage?

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Nissan Micra K11 cutting out. Can anyone recommend a garage?

Postby BPRIGGSC on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:33 pm

Hey all

I'm driving around a bit of a old banger but only require a runner. Anyway, it's an old Nissan Micra K11 and it's been cutting out when slowing down / coming to a stop.

Anyway, after some investigation, it appears the issue is with the mass airflow sensor (attached to the throttle body) or more likely the throttle body itself. To replace the throttle body is pretty expensive and as the car is 18 years old I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Can anyone recommend a garage around the Ilford/Romford area who may be able to repair the issue (and who aren't too expensive)
BPRIGGSC

Re: Nissan Micra K11 cutting out. Can anyone recommend a garage?

Postby richard99cook on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:59 pm

I had this issue with mine ages ago IIRC it was the fan belt?
richard99cook

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:27 pm

I loved our old Nissan Micra - two recurring problems though -

The little plastic thingy on the windscreen wiper motor kept breaking and when they break some garages will insist on replacing the whole windscreen linkage system - happened to us a total of 4 times .

The boot - the cable [ or whatever it is ] that is linked to the button thingy that opens the boot is liable to failing , happened to us twice .

Apart from that it never let us down , took us everywhere and I got 80 mph [ on the motorway ] with 5 hefty adults in the car from the little 1.2 engine - I'd buy another one for running around .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby FreeWheeling on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:49 pm

The old Micra is a proper little work horse, Drove an 18 year old one all the way to Mongolia and the only problem, until we hit the capital was a busted fan belt
FreeWheeling

Postby BPRIGGSC on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:30 pm

richard99cook wrote:I had this issue with mine ages ago IIRC it was the fan belt?

I don't know a great deal about cars, but does the fan belt only come into play when the car is overheating? My car isn't overheating, just cutting out.
BPRIGGSC

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:04 am

BPRIGGSC wrote:
I don't know a great deal about cars, but does the fan belt only come into play when the car is overheating? My car isn't overheating, just cutting out.

The fan belt is contantly turning , mate - it keeps the alternator working , power steering , air-conditioning and probably other stuff .

An engine cutting out could be a number of things - looking back , when I was in hospital , Jen had problems with our Micra cutting out and had to borrow a car to come down to Paisley - but I was out for the count and have forgotten what was wrong with it , I'll ask her when she comes home from work [ if I remember :) ] .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Estuary on Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:30 pm

My daughter has a Micra '98 vintage. It has one issue, occasionally it won't start in foggy or damp conditions when left over night. We discovered the distributor cap gets condensation inside and shorts the current. This has happened twice when the car was moving off as well, the power dips away when you press the throttle pedal and the engine cuts out.
The fault is very occasional and easily remedied by wiping the inside of the distributor cap with dry cloth. Make sure the engine is off and the key out before attempting.
For a quick start when the fault occurs, get someone to give the distributor casing a tap with a mallet or rubber hammer while turning the ignition, the current will jump and the car will start.
This model has one noted fault, it floods, there is plenty online to help with this, but it hasn't ever happened to our one.
Great little car.
Estuary

Postby Hampshire Hammer on Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:43 pm

Years ago I had a car that used to cut out when slowing down/coming to a stop. To cut a long story short it was the brake servo, which (in simple and slightly incorrect terms) used air pressure from the engine manifold to assist in braking.. The brake pads were really worn, which took extra pressure and killed the engine. Replace the brake pads and problem solved. I only found out the possible cause when talking to a mechanic.
Hampshire Hammer

Postby richard99cook on Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:29 pm

Estuary wrote:My daughter has a Micra '98 vintage. It has one issue, occasionally it won't start in foggy or damp conditions when left over night. We discovered the distributor cap gets condensation inside and shorts the current. This has happened twice when the car was moving off as well, the power dips away when you press the throttle pedal and the engine cuts out.
The fault is very occasional and easily remedied by wiping the inside of the distributor cap with dry cloth. Make sure the engine is off and the key out before attempting.
For a quick start when the fault occurs, get someone to give the distributor casing a tap with a mallet or rubber hammer while turning the ignition, the current will jump and the car will start.
This model has one noted fault, it floods, there is plenty online to help with this, but it hasn't ever happened to our one.
Great little car.

It'll be this then, forget my earlier post. My cutting out was exactly the same, moving away or when stopped just after starting up the car and also seemed to only happen in winter or when it was chilly!
richard99cook

Postby BPRIGGSC on Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:50 pm

Cheers for the messages everyone, lots of things to check here :thup:
BPRIGGSC

Postby hammerheadjim on Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:51 pm

richard99cook wrote:It'll be this then, forget my earlier post. My cutting out was exactly the same, moving away or when stopped just after starting up the car and also seemed to only happen in winter or when it was chilly!

This will probably be a cold start loom that needs changing. Extremely popular on the K11 Micra. For a google search, the part number is B407950B00. £26 from a main dealer... :thup:
hammerheadjim

Postby Kennet on Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:56 pm

Estuary wrote:It'll be this then, forget my earlier post. My cutting out was exactly the same, moving away or when stopped just after starting up the car and also seemed to only happen in winter or when it was chilly!

Bear with me here... I had an old car that i had reconditioned and upgradged etc that did this and I was living up north at the time. It was suggested to me that I cover the engine at night, worked a treat! Just had to remember that I had before I tried to start it in the morning....
Kennet

Postby BPRIGGSC on Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:44 pm

Looks like it was the throttle body. Got the garage to sort out a second hand one as a new one is more expensive then the car!
BPRIGGSC

Postby Estuary on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:28 pm

Bear with me here... I had an old car that i had reconditioned and upgradged etc that did this and I was living up north at the time. It was suggested to me that I cover the engine at night, worked a treat! Just had to remember that I had before I tried to start it in the morning....

Yes, that would work, keeps the damp and condensation off the leads and stops it forming inside the distributor cap.
Could get "warm" if you forget and drive off though. :wink:
Estuary

Postby Kennet on Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:00 pm

Estuary wrote:Yes, that would work, keeps the damp and condensation off the leads and stops it forming inside the distributor cap.
Could get "warm" if you forget and drive off though.

That never happened....more than once :lol:
Kennet

Return to The Snug