Wedding venues - Essex

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Wedding venues - Essex

Postby Hammersfaniow on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:35 pm

somerset-hammer wrote:We got married in Mauritius, beach front honeymoon apartment for 2 weeks, plus all the wedding stuff, big BBQ on the beach, to feed 20 guests etc came to about £7000 in total, the friends and family that wanted to or could afford to come paid for themselves.

£7000ish for a wedding and honeymoon was money well spent in my eyes.

Party when we got back in nice village hall was under £1000

Would recommend anyone to consider going abroad to get wed.

Part of our honeymoon was in Mauritius, absolutely beautiful island. We saw people get married at our hotel, which also had a big beach bbq so it could be the same place, Ravenala Attitude ?

Shame the beaches in Essex aren’t quite as picturesque as it looked lovely
Hammersfaniow

Postby somerset-hammer on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:41 pm

We were at the Heritage Awali in Bel Ombre.

It was amazing, to be fair I expect all the hotels are top notch.

Beautiful island.
somerset-hammer

Postby mushy on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:51 pm

The Uplands Social club in Woodford Bridge.
I think you will find the venue is free as they are glad of the money behind the bar.
mushy

Postby prophet:marginal on Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:24 pm

Have a look at Orsett Hall
prophet:marginal

Postby -DL- on Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:26 pm

prophet:marginal wrote:Have a look at Orsett Hall

I've been to 4 weddings there. It was a lovely place before it burnt down - not been inside since it was rebuilt mind.

However, none of the 4 couples I saw married there are still married, so it may be best to avoid it. :D
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby southbrishammer on Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:27 pm

It's completely at the wrong end of the county for you, and I have no idea how much they charge, but check out Hedingham Castle - a 900 year old Norman keep.

https://www.hedinghamcastle.co.uk/wedding-venue-essex/
southbrishammer

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:45 am

somerset-hammer wrote:Get married abroad, and have a party when you get back.

:thup:
Anyone getting wed here in the UK wants there head read. Its a licence to print money.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby RichieRiv on Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:58 am

Wedding you say sir? Ah that will be a 500% margin.

The reason why most marriages aren't consummated on the first night is beacuse for the last 12 months the happy couple have ****ed senseless by caterers, florists, chauffeurs, wedding dress makers and suit hire companies.

If that wasn't bad enough on the wedding day itself Great Uncle Dave (who you haven't seen since he touched you up in the potting shed) and Gary Get involved from her work have rinsed the free bar.

For this reason we got hitched in Tuscany. Those that wanted to be there made the effort for a reasonable cost. It was just the right distance to prevent Gary and his ilk from attending.

The Italians also didn't take the piss - far from it in fact. €45 a head for a 5 course spectacular including all drink throughout the day.
RichieRiv

Postby 3times on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:24 am

DasNutNock wrote:I know a very good caterer if you need one.

Although it was 24 years ago our total for the wedding inc honeymoon in the US and Jamaica cost about £8k.

This was with 120 at the sit down and another 100 in the evening.

It was mainly the wife that wanted it, I was happy to get married abroad.

Average uk house price in 1993 was £51k. Now £209k, so going by that measure, your £8k wedding would now be a £32k celebration.

£32k on a wedding would not be a celebration!!

In all fairness while I can see your point in house prices, the inflation on other parts is not as high. In fact I would probably say that in real terms some have reduced in value - a similar honeymoon to what we booked now would be less than twice the price.
3times

Postby DODGYDAL on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:01 am

Ye Olde Plough House is nice in Bulphan so not that far.
DODGYDAL

Postby Wembley1966 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:01 am

somerset-hammer wrote:We got married in Mauritius ....

So did we. Just the 2 of us at Le Touessrok - we paid out slightly more by getting married at the very end of the high season (early May) which meant that we were 1 of only 2 weddings held there that week so got looked after really well and the hotel wasn't completely full. The following week when prices came down they were having 3 a day! We got married in the hotel grounds so didn't have any fat Germans in Speedos in the background had it been on the beach. We had a couple of musicians that played at the ceremony and acted as our witnesses.

Had a party at the local country club when we got back. Did photographs with the family in the afternoon and about 100 guests for the evening. At 1:00am about 30 of us went back to ours to continue the celebrations - a few confused neighbours getting woken up to an impromptu party starting at that time. Also meant that it was the following afternoon that we first consummated the marriage - that's when we first went to bed!
Wembley1966

Postby Mega Ron on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:40 am

RichieRiv wrote:
For this reason we got hitched in Tuscany. Those that wanted to be there made the effort for a reasonable cost. It was just the right distance to prevent Gary and his ilk from attending.

The Italians also didn't take the piss - far from it in fact. €45 a head for a 5 course spectacular including all drink throughout the day.

We got married in Provence and it was great and it does get rid of the need for the evening people.
Mega Ron

Postby chigwells finest on Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:57 am

stockbrook manor
the fennes - braintree
chigwells finest

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:15 pm

Sack her off and go to Vegas. I'm sure you'd have way more fun getting through 15k over there :thup:

Ok serious reply - Maylands Golf club (Brentwood) is nice. DJ'd a wedding back there in the summer.
Cockneyboy311

Postby prophet:marginal on Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:27 pm

Hope you got the dancefloor moving with a few Melvins numbers :D
prophet:marginal

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:49 pm

prophet:marginal wrote:Hope you got the dancefloor moving with a few Melvins numbers :D

They used to come to the club i DJ'd at Proph, so the music i was playing wasnt far off! It was banging. Best do i've ever DJ'd at.
Cockneyboy311

Postby warp on Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:53 pm

plenty of pubs in essex, find one you like, forget about the wedding. 15k will buy a shitload of pints!

other than that, EastBris got it right with the vegas thing (elvis priestley is a must).
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby chelmsfordhammer91 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:16 pm

I got married at Channels golf club, Chelmsford.

They have closed the golf due to selling it off for housing but the barn is still running and I don't think the immediate vicinity has been changed yet.

Venue was £2400 for the full day/night. £40 a head for 3 course meal. £10-20 per head for evening food depending what you have.

My brother in law got married at Crondon Park a couple of months ago, that was lovely and on par with Channels IMO.

My brother had his at a pub called the Bull next to foresters golf club in august. That was on a budget but was one of the best weddings I've been to so worth a look if you don't want to spend much
chelmsfordhammer91

Postby Monkeybubbles on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:16 pm

We paid 37 quid in the registry office, got some random Doris working on reception in the town hall to be a witness. Bought some M&S sandwiches, went and sat on the beach. There is no punchline.
Monkeybubbles

Postby bubbles1966 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:53 pm

bab_whu wrote:Recently popped the question and looking for nice (but not extortionate) venues in Essex. Budget £10k - £15k. Any tips/ideas much appreciated.

Do it the Greek way - no prezzies, pin money on the bride in the mortgage (sorry, money) dance.
bubbles1966

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug