Vehicle vinyl wrapping

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Vehicle vinyl wrapping

Postby Monkeybubbles on Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:04 am

I'm thinking of getting a VW van wrapped. I'm even thinking that I might have a go at doing it myself. What could possibly go wrong?

Anyone done it, or had it done?
Monkeybubbles

Re: Vehicle vinyl wrapping

Postby somerset-hammer on Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:25 am

We had our work vans done, looks pretty tricky but then I can't even hang wallpaper.. fair play if you have a go at doing it yourself.

End product if done right, is top-notch.
somerset-hammer

Postby hammerdivone on Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:31 am

Monkeybubbles wrote:I'm thinking of getting a VW van wrapped. I'm even thinking that I might have a go at doing it myself. What could possibly go wrong?

Anyone done it, or had it done?

Unless you've done anything like it before, I wouldn't even attempt it.

Most wraps are printed to fit exactly the vehicle they are going on, so if you get it slightly wrong it will look a mess.

Get it done professionally, there are plenty of good companies around.

Useless info - Marlon Harewood works for a car personalisation business that do this as part of the service
hammerdivone

Postby Monkeybubbles on Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:07 am

I'm thinking of getting a couple of white vans and then wrapping the bottom half so they look all poncey and retro, a bit like this one. Maybe with our company logo on the back door.

I was thinking of diy-ing it because it looks like it might be a vaguely fun thing to do, and probably as easy as these things could ever be given that there's a lot of fairly flat surfaces. Also, I was thinking of getting my son (he's an apprentice graphic designer) to do a course in wrapping to give him another bow string.

If it's difficult, he won't want to do it. If I've only taught him one thing in life, it's "never be afraid to back away from a challenge". So I was just trying to find out how difficult....
Monkeybubbles

Postby damiant on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:46 pm

you'll need to buy a heat gun to stretch the material around the curves
damiant

Postby Hammer1972 on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:53 pm

As with most things

If you just want it done cheap - do it yourself.

If you want it to look good - get a pro to do it.

Depends what your priority is.
Hammer1972

Postby Goldie on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:14 pm

My advice - NO NOT attempt to DIY this . I have seen guys who apply vehicle graphics for a living attempt full vehicle wraps and make a total hash of it.
What make & model ? and how many ?
Happy to recommend company(s) that carry out a lot of my fleet stuff , they are easy to deal with design print & and fit nationwide (vehicle needs to be inside and can be subject to ambient temperature).
Goldie

Postby Monkeybubbles on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:42 pm

Goldie wrote:My advice - NO NOT attempt to DIY this . I have seen guys who apply vehicle graphics for a living attempt full vehicle wraps and make a total hash of it.
What make & model ? and how many ?
Happy to recommend company(s) that carry out a lot of my fleet stuff , they are easy to deal with design print & and fit nationwide (vehicle needs to be inside and can be subject to ambient temperature).

Thanks.

TBH, I saw a few Youtube demos and I thought it looked fairly easy and quite satisfying. I had a mental image of me spending a few peaceful afternoons lost in zen-like meditation, feeling the heft of the vinyl as it slicks onto the curves of the van like lube on a supermodel's noonoo. The reality would probably just be swearing and blood.

Anyway, 2 off VW Transporter T6 Kombi SWB. I don't need design and print, it's just a solid colour below the waistline (like a supermodel's noonoo).
Monkeybubbles

Postby delbert on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:45 pm

I can't even put a screen protector on a tablet straight and without air bubbles, bunging one on a car must be a proper craft...........
delbert

Postby RichieRiv on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:47 pm

RichieRiv

Postby Wembley1966 on Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:54 pm

Just done the opposite on the car for the missus!

Image Image

The red did look nice though.
Wembley1966

Postby Monkeybubbles on Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:47 pm

Wembley1966 wrote:Just done the opposite on the car for the missus!

Image Image

The red did look nice though.

Does it come off easy?

And what about the vinyl?
Monkeybubbles

Postby WCpete on Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:18 pm

That's what I want to know. Is it hard to get off? We're getting a couple of new vans for the business and I'd like to wrap them, but only if they're reasonably resistant to wear (city dings from other vehicles, tree branches scratching, frequent washings etc) and if they come off easily without damaging the paint when we want to sell the vans.
WCpete

Postby hammerdivone on Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:34 pm

Pete, you'll need to look at a professional who uses 3M vinyl if you want a good level of protection as well as a good look.

It can be removed, usually using the reverse process i.e. a heat gun. You may find a colour difference when you do but this can be polished out
hammerdivone

Postby WCpete on Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:12 pm

Thanks HD1. Do they have what's considered a 'life span' before they deteriorate?
WCpete

Postby hammerdivone on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:26 pm

Up to around 7 years so almost certainly longer than you'll have them
hammerdivone

Postby Rio on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:40 am

Isn’t this what Marlon Harewood does now?
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Postby hammerdivone on Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:45 pm

Rio wrote:Isn’t this what Marlon Harewood does now?

I may have mentioned this earlier 8-)
hammerdivone

Postby simonirons on Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:18 pm

I wrap vehicles.

The below is based on a colour change, not a printed/branded livery.

Only use 3m or avery, that said oracle and Hexis are improving.

Strip the car into as many pieces as possible.

Remove door handles

Clean every part of the vehicle especially out of sight spots, under wheel arches, under rubbers using a specific surface prep.

Anchor the film wherever possible (under wheel arches, round doors)

Don’t cut on the vehicle.

Get a decent squeegee with a proper felt edge.

Heat the film to a temperature outlined by the manufacture.

Don’t over stretch

Get plenty of excess (it’s around £25/£30 a metre and your gonna **** it up and need to redo)

Do it indoors in a very warm room. - leave the vehicle in overnight before you start.

If your doing a vw spend plenty of time watching videos of the recesses being heated and fitted. (I’ve seen them “pop out” after a few months on guys with years fitting experience]

A wrap course is a good place to start but you can’t beat good practice. - a van side/rear door from a scrappies makes good practice.

If I’m honest mate, it’s the equivalent of me watching a YouTube video and attempting to plaster my house.
Last edited by simonirons on Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
simonirons

Postby simonirons on Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:33 pm

WCpete wrote:That's what I want to know. Is it hard to get off? We're getting a couple of new vans for the business and I'd like to wrap them, but only if they're reasonably resistant to wear (city dings from other vehicles, tree branches scratching, frequent washings etc) and if they come off easily without damaging the paint when we want to sell the vans.

Depends what your after, again, colour change or print. - it will protect your vehicle (stripped sky vans second hand fetch more money as the bodywork has been under wraps from day one)

A big pit fall with wrapping a second hand vehicle, if it’s had a crash repair , then been wrapped, even signwritten. - the vinyl will likely strip the lacquer and need a repaint.

Stripping a wrap from a factory paint job won’t be an issue. Just warm it right up, remove at a 30 degree angle and it won’t leave much glue.
simonirons

Next

Return to The Snug