Any cigar smokers on here?

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Any cigar smokers on here?

Postby Francoisvander or else on Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:10 pm

I have never been a smoker but was given a rather large Cuban cigar by a friends father the other week. Being a nosy bugger I have googled the brand and on reading the smoking notes it lasts about an hour. Having never been a smoker is it going to be wasted on me or should I pass it to my friend who rolls his own ciggies?

What can I expect if I do decide to give it a try?
Francoisvander or else

Re: Any cigar smokers on here?

Postby sendô on Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:23 pm

I love a nice cigar on occasion.

Firstly, you need a proper cigar cutter to ensure the end is cut properly. You can of course hack at the bottom with a knife or scissors, but then you're going to be chewing bits of tobacco while you smoke.

It will be strong and full of flavour, and not the sort of chemically cancerous ***** you get in cigarettes, proper smokey flavour. You don't inhale of course - not unless you enjoy coughing your lungs up.

When you smoke, don't smoke it like a cigarette, you need to get your lips right around it and expect the end to get a bit moist.

It will of course last ages, maybe not an hour unless you smoke really slow. Best bet is to get a comfy seat and a nice glass of brandy or whisky to enjoy with it.

Expect to look really ****ing cool while you smoke it too. Especially if you have it at a wedding, whilst suited and booted, with all the other blokes looking on enviously and the flange getting moist watching you chug it.

I've not had a cigar since April, I think I need to get another one now.
sendô

Postby warp on Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:47 pm

chances are you won't like. i'll PM you my address.
alternatively, you can leave it at your mum's, i'll pick it up at some point next week.
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby hammerdivone on Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:57 pm

warp wrote:alternatively, you can leave it at your mum's, i'll pick it up at some point next week.

It will be well soggy by then
hammerdivone

Postby warp on Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:16 pm

nothing new then... oh, you meant the cigar!
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby mumbles87 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:39 am

I'll get some for my golf holiday next year

Love being in a buggy with a fine cigar when playing on holiday

When we went Mexico for our honeymoon we got some cheap Mexican cigars and some Cubans

Both lovely and lasted me a year

Where do people order them from?

I use cigarsofcuba.co.uk

My fav atm is a montecristo number 5
mumbles87

Postby Coops on Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:15 am

One of my customers bought me a cigar back from Cuba. It is in it's own little glass case and I think it was a more expensive one.
But apart from some cheap nasty things I had as a teenager I have never smoked a cigar and can't really see the appeal. It will probably stay in the drawer forever.
Coops

Postby mumbles87 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:39 am

Coops wrote:One of my customers bought me a cigar back from Cuba. It is in it's own little glass case and I think it was a more expensive one.
But apart from some cheap nasty things I had as a teenager I have never smoked a cigar and can't really see the appeal. It will probably stay in the drawer forever.

I'd gladly take it off your hands lol
mumbles87

Postby Shy Ted on Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:13 pm

Turmeaus cigar shops are amazing for smokers found here:
http://www.turmeaus.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I visited one just recently for some Borkum Riff pipe tobacco.
They have smoking rooms to try a cigar out.
Shy Ted

Postby Eggs'n'nuts on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:01 pm

Can't go wrong with most Cuban cigars (just finishing a very nice Romeo and Juileta No 1 as I'm posting), but if you want to smoke them on a semi regular basis and you know of anyone travelling to any European countries (or Cuba), get them to bring you back a few. They're a hell of a lot cheaper than this country; in some instances, half the price.
Eggs'n'nuts

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:28 pm

Long time since I had one, but I liked a Romeo Y Julieta Robusto.
DasNutNock

Postby Eggs'n'nuts on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:06 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Long time since I had one, but I liked a Romeo Y Julieta Robusto.

Treat yourself Dan. You know you want to!
Eggs'n'nuts

Postby yonni on Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:29 am

I like a Cohiba but I don't think I've had one since my first son was born 7 years ago. Must get some in.
yonni

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:07 am

Eggs'n'nuts wrote:Treat yourself Dan. You know you want to!

Need to be careful about smoking anything since I elbowed the snouts, but I am rather tempted bycigar over Xmas to celebrate new family.
DasNutNock

Postby Eggs'n'nuts on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:54 am

^^^^^^
Top man Dan!

Don't know if you know of it, but there's a very good cigar shop in Teddington High Street (Hava Havana). They have a very good range (although a little pricey) in their walk-in humidor. Something like a Cohiba Siglo II will most probably set you back the thick end of £18.
Eggs'n'nuts

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:38 am

Interesting... used to love a tobacconist, back in the day. Might have a gander some time & look for a nice Xmas treat...
DasNutNock

Return to The Snug