Fatbergs

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Fatbergs

Postby mumbles87 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:09 pm

It may just be me here but anyone else fed up with the water board going on about these

Can't flush this can't flush that

Don't pour oil

Tried to avoid all this ofc but the cost of clean up is nothing compared to what they make in profits

Sounds like maintaince costs to me

Just do your job and get on with it

Surely if everyone stopped and bergs went then people wouldn't have a job!
mumbles87

Re: Fatbergs

Postby mushy on Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:46 pm

So your justifying chucking fat down the drains by saying that if you dont it will do someone out of a job?
Righty ho.
Do you also chuck old KFC meals out of the car window so that the council can employ more road sweepers?
mushy

Postby mumbles87 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:34 pm

mushy wrote:So your justifying chucking fat down the drains by saying that if you dont it will do someone out of a job?
Righty ho.
Do you also chuck old KFC meals out of the car window so that the council can employ more road sweepers?

No but the cost of cleaning up is tiny compared to what they bring in

For example wet wipes so many people (younger gen) use them instead of loo paper

But they don't break down like paper

The cost of repairing is like £1 per household per year
mumbles87

Postby hammerdivone on Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:37 pm

It's costing Thames Water alone £12m per year to clear blockages, so I suspect your £1 per household is a little light.

That said, these are avoidable issues that will always cause our water costs to go up rather than Water companies profits to diminish
hammerdivone

Postby mumbles87 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:38 pm

hammerdivone wrote:It's costing Thames Water alone £12m per year to clear blockages, so I suspect your £1 per household is a little light.

That said, these are avoidable issues that will always cause our water costs to go up rather than Water companies profits to diminish

£1 per household maybe a bit light indeed however how many people live in Thames water area?

Probably £1 per person

Bring the water companies back in house then its run for the customer not the share holder
mumbles87

Postby hammerdivone on Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:57 pm

mumbles87 wrote:Bring the water companies back in house then its run for the customer not the share holder

Don't go giving Jezza any more bright ideas
hammerdivone

Postby mushy on Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:58 pm

Whilst I agree with the sentiment mumbles, bringing the water services back in house isnt going to resolve the real issue.
Wet wipes , condoms and used sanitary towels all block the drains and as such should not be flushed down the toilet, yet people do as it seems easier then putting them in their own bins.
Toilets are now routinely used as another form of waste bin, they are not designed for that, only human waste and toilet paper which easily dissolves.
As for the fat, blame all those take-away food restaurants that everyone uses these days, its consumer driven.
mushy

Postby mumbles87 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:05 pm

mushy wrote:Whilst I agree with the sentiment mumbles, bringing the water services back in house isnt going to resolve the real issue.
Wet wipes , condoms and used sanitary towels all block the drains and as such should not be flushed down the toilet, yet people do as it seems easier then putting them in their own bins.
Toilets are now routinely used as another form of waste bin, they are not designed for that, only human waste and toilet paper which easily dissolves.
As for the fat, blame all those take-away food restaurants that everyone uses these days, its consumer driven.

Indeed however I do think it's the water boards job to maintain these pipes and whilst we shouldn't flush these things we shouldn't go trying to blame the user all the time

I'd like to see flushable wet wipes made as lot of people flush them and that would solve a lot of the issues
mumbles87

Postby -DL- on Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:21 pm

There's a company in Cheshire that processes the fatbergs there, purifies them, filters them, and turns them in to bio-diesel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/magazine-4 ... -into-fuel
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby warp on Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:26 pm

mumbles87 wrote:Indeed however I do think it's the water boards job to maintain these pipes and whilst we shouldn't flush these things we shouldn't go trying to blame the user all the time

in case of improper use, damn right the user is to blame.
do you think it's ok to go to the bogs at work and take a dump out of the toilet bowl, on the floor? after all, it's the company providing these services that is responsible for their cleanliness, and if you clean toilets for a living, you might as well wipe some **** off the floor...
making someone else's job harder because you can't be arsed doing things properly is what ***** do.

mumbles87 wrote:I'd like to see flushable wet wipes made as lot of people flush them and that would solve a lot of the issues

how about a ****ing bin next to the toilet? i know it's bordering on rocket science and we hardly have the technology to do it, but it's an idea.
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby mumbles87 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:28 pm

Warp if people wipe their arse with wipes who wants to put a poo covered bit of wipe in a bin to smell out their house
mumbles87

Postby warp on Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:32 pm

a bin with a lid.
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby hammerdivone on Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:33 pm

mumbles87 wrote:Warp if people wipe their arse with wipes who wants to put a poo covered bit of wipe in a bin to smell out their house

Works in Greece quite well where soil pipes are narrow bore
hammerdivone

Postby jastons on Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:34 pm

From what I can tell Fatbergs are caused by ignorance and laziness above anything else.
jastons

Postby Hammer1972 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:01 pm

Whenever I think people on here might run out of things to argue about....
Hammer1972

Postby -DL- on Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:11 pm

So it costs me around 3 quid a year on my water bill for me, my wife and son to be able to sling baby wipes, cooking oil and fat down the sewers as opposed to bagging the wipes up and emptying the bin, or going through the hassle of tipping it in to a cup, waiting for it to solidify then disposing it in the rubbish.

I think that's a bit of a bargain personally...
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby Mega Ron on Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:41 pm

It costs more when you have to get Dinrod out to unblock your pipes though.
Mega Ron

Postby -DL- on Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:50 pm

Never had to call them yet. :thup:
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby southbrishammer on Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:02 am

mumbles87 wrote:It may just be me here but anyone else fed up with the water board going on about these

Mumbles

I think you're missing the key underlying point here. As we all know, global warming is a real thing, and it will only take a rise in temperature of 1-2 degrees for all of the fatbergs to melt. When that happens my scientific advisors tell me that there is likely to be a catastrophic impact - the solidified fat will liquefy and expand, water pipes will burst, road surfaces above the pipes will crack, and there will be sudden explosive bursts of 5 year old nappies and chicken carcasses flying 10m into the air. And no-one wants that, do they?
southbrishammer

Postby pablo jaye on Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:58 am

Of a more imminent problem is the capacity of sewers in lots of places. Many were installed when populations were lower and are now reaching a point where the volumes and types of waste are causing serious problems. In many places - e.g built up areas, it isn't that easy to increase the capacity.

Whilst the issue is the responsibility of statutory authorities, I do think we all have a resposnsibility to minimise waste.
pablo jaye

Next

Return to The Snug