Fatbergs

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Fatbergs

Postby Burningaham on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:53 am

[/quote]

I was referring to the machines that can deal with wipes that shanghi mentioned

However yeah your correct the 1 in 50 year your right I don't blame them for that at all[/quote]

No sorry wrong on machinery to take out wet wipes too. Think about it for a moment. Flush a wet wipe and what happens to it? Unless you live on top of a hill and the treatment works is at the bottom, then at some point your wet wipe is going to need pumping, along with the rest of the waste.
Whilst there are pumps that claim they can deal with wet wipes, they can’t really effectively. So where you slow flow down, pump chamber, manhole, gully pots - anywhere, items will drop out of the flow and collect more and more items and grease/fat. That is how your fatberg is created, and why it is created locally to where is problem is created. On the whole it won’t actually reach the treatment works for treatment.
Burningaham

Postby mumbles87 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:57 am

Burningaham wrote:
No sorry wrong on machinery to take out wet wipes too. Think about it for a moment. Flush a wet wipe and what happens to it? Unless you live on top of a hill and the treatment works is at the bottom, then at some point your wet wipe is going to need pumping, along with the rest of the waste.
Whilst there are pumps that claim they can deal with wet wipes, they can’t really effectively. So where you slow flow down, pump chamber, manhole, gully pots - anywhere, items will drop out of the flow and collect more and more items and grease/fat. That is how your fatberg is created, and why it is created locally to where is problem is created. On the whole it won’t actually reach the treatment works for treatment.

Thanks for the information burningham. Nice to have some reasoned debate brought to the table.

Do fat burgs always seem to happen in the same place?

For example sendo I think said the alley near his house floods all time because of this so is that the problem area or are they random
mumbles87

Postby RichieRiv on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:15 am

Reasoned debate?

You've listed a bunch of investment managers. To claim you're "all good" simply displays a complete lack of understanding, bordering on ignorance. How do you think those fund managers grow the pension pot? Dig a hole, fill it with money, water it and hope that it grows more money?

You need to go down to each individual fund that is managed by the investment manager and see how they invest it in.

I suspect you're far from good.
RichieRiv

Postby mumbles87 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:17 am

RichieRiv wrote:Reasoned debate?

You've listed a bunch of investment managers. To claim you're "all good" simply displays a complete lack of understanding, bordering on ignorance. How do you think those fund managers grow the pension pot? Dig a hole, fill it with money, water it and hope that it grows more money?

You need to go down to each individual fund that is managed by the investment manager and see how they invest it in.

I suspect you're far from good.

Yes reasoned debate

Actual facts and science rather than hear say and "shouldn't do that because it's a twat thing to do"

If I was actually bothered about my pension I'd look into it
mumbles87

Postby RichieRiv on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:42 am

You should be bothered. If you're going to moan about how shareholders are benefiting, then you want to make damn sure you aren't one.
RichieRiv

Postby mumbles87 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:09 am

RichieRiv wrote:You should be bothered. If you're going to moan about how shareholders are benefiting, then you want to make damn sure you aren't one.

Huge difference between shareholders sitting on their millions to build personal empires and that of people providing security for the future of others
mumbles87

Postby Billydinho on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:12 am

You're a bit of a hypocrite Mumbles, admit it.

One rule for you and something different for everyone else.
Billydinho

Postby mumbles87 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:13 am

Billydinho wrote:You're a bit of a hypocrite Mumbles, admit it.

One rule for you and something different for everyone else.

Indeed
mumbles87

Postby Shanghai Hammer on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:55 am

Burningaham wrote:No sorry wrong on machinery to take out wet wipes too. Think about it for a moment. Flush a wet wipe and what happens to it? Unless you live on top of a hill and the treatment works is at the bottom, then at some point your wet wipe is going to need pumping, along with the rest of the waste.

Partly true. However upgrading the pumping stations would potentially work. Putting in heavy duty macerating pumps for example. However as always it comes down to money. To upgrade all pumping stations would probably be in the 100's of millions per water company.

We have a particular problem in the UK with old sewers. We have one of the oldest networks in the World and they are cracking and leaking letting a lot of ground water in. All bad conditions that will allow wet wipes to collect and build up, mixed with fat. So to solve it properly most of the sewers would have to be re-laid, probably at a steeper gradient.

The issue about 1 in 20 or 1 in 50 storms shouldn't even be an issue as sewers should be designed to pass sewage and storm drains should deal with the surface water. However the cracked sewers means that its not that simple and they do collect a lot of storm water.

I'm currently advising some water companies overseas about the impacts of climate change on their operations too. This is expected to increase flood peaks and, as always, this will make things worse and not better.

So while its theoretically possible to address the issue it's damn difficult.

Compared to spending 500K on an advertising campaign to stop people flushing the wrong things its a no-brainer.
Shanghai Hammer

Postby Wembley1966 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:58 am

mumbles87 wrote:AQR Capital Partners LLP
Ardevora Asset Management LLP

Just the first 2 on your list of pension investments - some of AQR funds are invested in United Utilities (water company for NW England) and Ardevora has a high weighting of utility shareholdings in its UK Income Fund - 10% compared to 4% average for UK funds.
Wembley1966

Postby mumbles87 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:59 am

Thanks shanghai hammer

That information is very useful

Fascinating reading tbh. Amazing what the victorians did for us and how we have just left it at that
mumbles87

Postby Shanghai Hammer on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:08 am

mumbles87 wrote: Amazing what the victorians did for us and how we have just left it at that

It really is and as often is the case, the UK used to lead the World. If you read what Bazalgette did in designing the sewerage system in London back in the 19th century, much of which is still being used today, its quite fascinating. People think its just a bit of sewage in pipes but what Bazalgette did in London helped to improve living conditions so much that without it London wouldn't have become one of the leading cities in the World.
Shanghai Hammer

Postby mumbles87 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:30 am

Same with so many things aswell the victorians really led the way and we take for granted what they did and just never upgraded it

Years of under investment is haunting the railways now for example
mumbles87

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:36 am

We have an ancient septic tank in our garden so we have to be careful what goes down our loos and sinks - a few weeks ago we had a new treatment tank installed to cope with whatever visitors we receive when our self contained extension is built - I'll have to remember to put a few notices up above the toilet and kitchen sink . :)
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Monkeybubbles on Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:33 pm

My lad has colitis and is a real frequent flyer in the bathroom. Consequently we installed one of those Japanese toilets with a bum gun that gives you a squirt when you're finished. It might be the best thing I've ever done.

I am the future.
Monkeybubbles

Postby mumbles87 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:36 pm

Monkeybubbles wrote:My lad has colitis and is a real frequent flyer in the bathroom. Consequently we installed one of those Japanese toilets with a bum gun that gives you a squirt when you're finished. It might be the best thing I've ever done.

I am the future.

Planning to do this when I get the bathroom re done.. no room for a bidet
mumbles87

Postby RichieRiv on Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:43 pm

Monkeybubbles wrote:My lad has colitis and is a real frequent flyer in the bathroom. Consequently we installed one of those Japanese toilets with a bum gun that gives you a squirt when you're finished. It might be the best thing I've ever done.

I am the future.

Have sat on many on my trips to Tokyo. Surprisingly accurate and very good. They are way forward.
RichieRiv

Postby Monkeybubbles on Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:44 pm

RichieRiv wrote:
Have sat on many on my trips to Tokyo. Surprisingly accurate....

Depends on the size of the target I suppose.
Monkeybubbles

Postby RichieRiv on Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:48 pm

about 4cm when dilated.
RichieRiv

Postby sendô on Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:26 pm

mumbles87 wrote:Do fat burgs always seem to happen in the same place?

For example sendo I think said the alley near his house floods all time because of this so is that the problem area or are they random

It always blocks in the same place because my ****hole neighbours keep flushing wet wipes down the toilet, which get caught on the bend/join where the pipe to the street meets the man hole, and muggings here has to dust off his drain rods to clear it if he doesn't want to suffer the stench of **** throughout the house.
sendô

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug