Fatbergs

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Fatbergs

Postby mumbles87 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:04 pm

Rocketron wrote:Why are people using wet wipes (designied to clean babies) to wipe their arse?

Does anyone suffer from ibs? Trips to the loo can be very painful
mumbles87

Postby mumbles87 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:09 pm

Burningaham wrote:It is actually illegal to put anything detrimental to sewers into them, water industry act 1991.
That includes FOG, wet wipes, dead animals, or any of the other hundreds of bizarre foreign object that I’ve seen in them over the years.

Schools, student accommodation and nursing homes tend to be the worst; but FOG is the most disgusting thing I’ve ever seen. Much worse than just raw sewage, and how much there is depends on the cuisine, and what equipment is being used to cook.
For instance a modern steam oven produces 50-60x more fat than older standard ovens.

Thanks for that information very informative

So have modern ovens contributed to this?
mumbles87

Postby Burningaham on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:19 pm

To some degree. usually see this sort of big unit in a commercial kitchen, and one of those should have separate provision to deal with FOG.
This might be an under sink dosing system, but that only moves the problem downstream. Most use a grease traps, but the problem with these is that they work . They fill up quickly with grease but don’t get maintained or emptied often enough, block up and stink.
If the grease is dosed it moves the issue downstream to the treatment works where the grease creates issues with the treatment process, but also the treatment works now has to cope with the chemical being dosed.

I put a 60,000 Ltd grease trap in a place near Heathrow that makes 17000 airline meals a day recently. It gets emptied twice a week, 7 different cuisines in the same factory.
Burningaham

Postby mumbles87 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:21 pm

Burningaham wrote:To some degree. usually see this sort of big unit in a commercial kitchen, and one of those should have separate provision to deal with FOG.
This might be an under sink dosing system, but that only moves the problem downstream. Most use a grease traps, but the problem with these is that they work . They fill up quickly with grease but don’t get maintained or emptied often enough, block up and stink.
If the grease is dosed it moves the issue downstream to the treatment works where the grease creates issues with the treatment process, but also the treatment works now has to cope with the chemical being dosed.

I put a 60,000 Ltd grease trap in a place near Heathrow that makes 17000 airline meals a day recently. It gets emptied twice a week, 7 different cuisines in the same factory.

Sounds to me like years of under investment in the water system is coming back to bite us personally .. same with under investment in other areas

Like shanghi said there are machines that could deal with this
mumbles87

Postby Burningaham on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:31 pm

No, there are no machines currently that can deal with this issue.

And the lack of investment existed many, many years before the water companies did, but it is not the fault of the water companies. They can’t be to blame for the changes in what people eat creates more FOG, and overwhelms the system design.

It’s like flooding, you can design pipe work for say a 1 in 20 year storm, but what happens when there is a 1 in 50 year storm? Is the water company responsible for that?
Burningaham

Postby mumbles87 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:33 pm

Burningaham wrote:No, there are no machines currently that can deal with this issue.

And the lack of investment existed many, many years before the water companies did, but it is not the fault of the water companies. They can’t be to blame for the changes in what people eat creates more FOG, and overwhelms the system design.

It’s like flooding, you can design pipe work for say a 1 in 20 year storm, but what happens when there is a 1 in 50 year storm? Is the water company responsible for that?

I was referring to the machines that can deal with wipes that shanghi mentioned

However yeah your correct the 1 in 50 year your right I don't blame them for that at all
mumbles87

Postby hammerdivone on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:37 pm

This whole issue of 'stinking bins' is a bit of a myth really. Bins can be lined and have sealed lids and not cause any real smell issues at all. That said they still need to be emptied and as it's down to lazy ****ers throwing the things in the toilet in the first place the chances of getting people to use and empty bins is almost zero
hammerdivone

Postby mumbles87 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:47 pm

hammerdivone wrote:This whole issue of 'stinking bins' is a bit of a myth really. Bins can be lined and have sealed lids and not cause any real smell issues at all. That said they still need to be emptied and as it's down to lazy ****ers throwing the things in the toilet in the first place the chances of getting people to use and empty bins is almost zero

Never smelt a dogpoo bin then
mumbles87

Postby RichieRiv on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:45 pm

hammerdivone wrote:This whole issue of 'stinking bins' is a bit of a myth really. Bins can be lined and have sealed lids and not cause any real smell issues at all. That said they still need to be emptied and as it's down to lazy ****ers throwing the things in the toilet in the first place the chances of getting people to use and empty bins is almost zero

I was in Cyprus in the summer up in the mountains, so no mains sewers. Reliant on a cess pit, no toilet paper could be flushed. No problem with a bin and a few nappy sacks. Empty every other day. Didn't stink despite being 38 degree.
RichieRiv

Postby hammerdivone on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:31 pm

mumbles87 wrote:Never smelt a dogpoo bin then

I don't make a habit of it no.

How often do you think they get emptied?
hammerdivone

Postby Billydinho on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:16 am

mumbles87 wrote:
Just do your job and get on with it!

Don't you work for London Underground?
Billydinho

Postby mumbles87 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:57 am

Don't you work for London Underground?

Congrats on bringing a lazy generalisation to the discussion...

Must have taken hours to think of that
mumbles87

Postby Billydinho on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:12 am

It's more a case of hypocrisy.

You lot strike and skyve off work over the most trivial of things yet people who actually have to do a bit of hard graft complain about your lazy habits causing issues with our sewage system and you tell them to just get on with it.

You'd do well to take your own advice and pass it on to your workshy colleagues.
Billydinho

Postby mumbles87 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:18 am

Billydinho wrote:It's more a case of hypocrisy.

You lot strike and skyve off work over the most trivial of things yet people who actually have to do a bit of hard graft complain about your lazy habits causing issues with our sewage system and you tell them to just get on with it.

You'd do well to take your own advice and pass it on to your workshy colleagues.

Bit of research shows my grade haven't struck in many years and my control room never strike

We are the ones who try and run the service during a strike

So your point is rather pointless.
mumbles87

Postby Billydinho on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:22 am

I've seen you on here previously trying to justify strike action and never adopting the linebyou poster above.

Must be a union thing. :thup:
Billydinho

Postby mumbles87 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:24 am

Billydinho wrote:I've seen you on here previously trying to justify strike action and never adopting the linebyou poster above.

Must be a union thing. :thup:

I will always defend the rights to strike.. which I have done on here before

But as a manager I go in and attempt to give the best service to customer.

Normally I report the facts. And squash the rubbish people like you come up with.

Which isn't hard because it's never researched
mumbles87

Postby RichieRiv on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:27 am

Seriously mumbles you've posted some of the most poorly research old tripe in a long time.

By the way, hows your pension invested?
RichieRiv

Postby mumbles87 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:28 am

RichieRiv wrote:Seriously mumbles you've posted some of the most poorly research old tripe in a long time.

By the way, hows your pension invested?

Very well
mumbles87

Postby RichieRiv on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:37 am

You want to ensure none of it is invested in the utilities like water. You could after all be benefiting from the very thing you're moaning about. You wouldn't want to be hypercritical would you.

(Utlities are a favourite of fund managers as they represent good steady growth)
RichieRiv

Postby mumbles87 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:41 am

RichieRiv wrote:You want to ensure none of it is invested in the utilities like water. You could after all be benefiting from the very thing you're moaning about. You wouldn't want to be hypercritical would you.

(Utlities are a favourite of fund managers as they represent good steady growth)

AQR Capital Partners LLP
Ardevora Asset Management LLP
Arrowgrass Capital Partners LLP
Blackrock Investment Management (UK) Limited
Brevan Howard Asset Management LLP
Bridgewater Associates, Inc
Burgundy Asset Management
CBRE Global Collective Investors UK Limited
Colonial First State Global Asset Management
Coronation International Limited
Credit Suisse IRIS ALHC Fund Limited
Goldman Sachs