Sensitive and offended.

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Sensitive and offended.

Postby jevs on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:58 pm

What's going on with this bloody country? Every pour soul seems to be offended by something these days. I was having a chat with one of my volunteers yesterday and he admitted to complaining to the BBC that the programme "Gunpowder" was too gory. FFS surely you just turn it off if you don't like it.

In other news, my home town of Lewes hosts one of the biggest bonfire processions in the country. But a huge row has started up because a tiny few are offended that one of the bonfire societies have a group of people who dress up a Zulus....which includes blacking their faces. You would've thought someone's murdered their children. It's a big tradition in the town to have these costumes.
The bonfire is also anti Catholic...all brought about because there were 17 protestant martyrs burnt at the stake under a catholic reign.....so now they do gooders are on about racial hatred and are offended.

Maybe it's just social media, maybe i'm just getting old (i'm 51) or maybe Lewes is a twee, middle class town full of lefties.

Rant over
jevs

Re: Sensitive and offended.

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:12 pm

The thing that makes me laugh the most is the fey young men that like to publicly portray themselves as completely on-message feminists. As if somehow that's going to help them get laid.
DasNutNock

Postby Hammers Dad on Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:16 pm

Someone linked a poll on my FB that asked if we should called pregnant women "Pregnant People" to avoid upsetting/offending transgender people.

Most of the comments were that only women can get pregnant so no; one or two pointed out the transgender man who had a baby.....
Hammers Dad

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:37 pm

Just don't mention Anne Frank's drum kit
rare as rockinghorse shat

Postby warp on Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:11 pm

^ she was jew don't you know? Image

DasNutNock wrote:The thing that makes me laugh the most is the fey young men that like to publicly portray themselves as completely on-message feminists. As if somehow that's going to help them get laid.

it will, because the vast majority of females publicly portraying themselves as completely on-message feminists are ****ing idiots*.

*percentage in line with the average world population, just to avoid someone getting the hump 'cos i'm "being sexist"
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby sendô on Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:52 pm

This thread offends me.
sendô

Postby delbert on Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:03 pm

Someone rather clever once said "being offended, doesn't make you right", or words to that effect.

Trying to block or ban something due to being overly sensitive and offended is about on par with the whole safe area, no platform lark and even blocking/ignoring people on social media.
Depending on the actual event and action taken it's at worst a form of cowardice and at best just attention seeking, sometimes it's both. Either the later or the former are brought on by an inability to argue, debate or simply ignore, a problem not being helped by pandering to some of the silliness.

There's some quite cutting Meme's out there ridiculing this very subject.......
delbert

Postby wolf359 on Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:13 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

This every time the subject is discussed (3:30 in)
wolf359

Postby Bend it like Repka on Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:35 pm

As yes, Gunpowder complaints.

You put up a true reflection of how human beings once treated each other, and people are so shocked they need to call up and complain.

Utter ****wits
Bend it like Repka

Postby Hammer1972 on Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:58 pm

I'm with you on most of that Jevs.

But, blacking up, come on...
Hammer1972

Postby BromleyHammer on Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:50 pm

I read an article earlier about people being upset over a rice Krispy cartoon image on the packet portraying the slightly darker rice Krispy as the janitor! Surely the people upset are racist by associating the two!
BromleyHammer

Postby hammerdivone on Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:15 pm

Hammer1972 wrote:I'm with you on most of that Jevs.

But, blacking up, come on...

What if the zulus were black people, instead of white people with black faces?

Would it then be acceptable, or still considered racist?
hammerdivone

Postby Hammer1972 on Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:21 pm

Yes, it is definitely acceptable for black people to have black faces.

White people, less so.
Hammer1972

Postby yonni on Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:28 pm

FWIW Jevs I'm the same age as you and yes, Lewes does seem to be lefty middle class from what I know of if (from my lefty middle class friends who live there). I hate over sensitive stuff too but I would have a problem with blacking up. As someone who went through school being called "deigo", married to someone who recently had rocks thrown at her and told to "piss off back to her own country" by school kids, because she has olive skin, I'm very sensitive about anything like that. My wife's country, and mine, is England. The Zulu maybe a tradition but it can't be that old surely? My rule of thumb is would I be comfortable laughing at that with my black friends? The answer would be no.

As for burning Catholics, I went to a catholic school and regular church until age 14, so Chuck 'em on the bonfire I say!
yonni

Postby hammerdivone on Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:58 pm

Hammer1972 wrote:Yes, it is definitely acceptable for black people to have black faces.

White people, less so.

I meant as I'm sure you knew, would it be considered racist for black people to portray 'savages', as zulus are potrayed in these rituals
hammerdivone

Postby Monkeybubbles on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:05 pm

There are two categories of people who might be cheesed off by the Zulu fellers blacking up.

1. Shrill lefties
2. Black people

I think many people will seek to defend the blacking up because they don't want society to pander to the first category. Which is a bit skewhiff, when you think about it.
Monkeybubbles

Postby delbert on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:06 pm

The black face thing has a varied history depending on the country, I'M m on my tablet at the moment so would probably cock up a link, if you Google black face and look at the wiki entry it makes for some quite interesting reading...........
delbert

Postby Monkeybubbles on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:11 pm

hammerdivone wrote:
I meant as I'm sure you knew, would it be considered racist for black people to portray 'savages', as zulus are potrayed in these rituals

In fairness, they're not portrayed as savages at the Lewes thing. The idea behind many (most?) of the bonfire societies is that they represent groups of people who were oppressed or suffering at the time at which the society was founded. So, back in the early 20th century, a group of bods dressed up as Zulus to draw attention to their plight.
Monkeybubbles

Postby Hammer1972 on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:47 pm

It makes no odds as to how nicely intended your blacking up is, or what the history of it is.

It is completely inappropriate in this day and age and I am stunned that anyone would argue otherwise.
Hammer1972

Postby bubbles1966 on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:04 pm

Hammer1972 wrote:It makes no odds as to how nicely intended your blacking up is, or what the history of it is.

It is completely inappropriate in this day and age and I am stunned that anyone would argue otherwise.

Putting make up on is inappropriate?

Work that through.

The issue is not the portrayal of a different race, but the negative portrayal.
bubbles1966

Next

Return to The Snug