Sensitive and offended.

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Sensitive and offended.

Postby Tenbury on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:18 pm

My grammar passed away in 1975.
Tenbury

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:39 pm

Tenbury wrote:My grammar passed away in 1975.

:) Coincidentally , so did mine - she was 99 , nearly got that telegram

Thinking about it , it was a couple of years later than that as I had a new girlfriend by the time she died and I didn't meet her until 1976 , so I was a year out .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby mushy on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:19 pm

You never met your Nan until 1976?

PS. sorry to hear about your girlfriend, very upsetting indeed..
mushy

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:16 pm

mushy wrote:You never met your Nan until 1976?

PS. sorry to hear about your girlfriend, very upsetting indeed..

My Grandma isn't as good as I thought it was . :D
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Hammers Dad on Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:12 pm

Hammers Dad

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:25 pm

Burning at the stake is too lenient for him.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby MD_HM on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:04 pm

This is the type of b*llocks I was referring to on the previous page...

Unless a medical exception then a child that hasn’t had any operation to alter the gender they were born with would still be that gender.

Have no issue if an adult wants to change gender but keep it out the schools. Over 8m pupils in schools and this effects only about 2000 according to that report.

I’m sure they are much larger minority groups that don’t get this special treatment in the education system

It’s all madness, whats next; I want to be identified as a chair from now on... “boys, girls, others and chairs please be quiet”
MD_HM

Postby Algarve Hammer on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:00 am

MD_HM wrote: I want to be identified as a chair from now on...

Wow, I have literally just changed my name to Parker Knoll, how did you know?
Algarve Hammer

Postby sendô on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:48 am

There were two children referred aged three in 2016-17.

:shock: How the **** does that come about?

I've got a three year old. He once told me he wanted to wear knickers not pants. Should I have taken him to the hospital to get gender re-assignment therapy then?
sendô

Postby uptonparkhurst on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:19 pm

Presumably they don't have a dressing-up box in Nursery schools any more - it will now be a
"Gender-exploration-facilitation unit".

Come Christmas time there will probably be a story about an angry parent whose son was not allowed to
be Mary in the school Nativity play (or daughter not allowed to be Joseph).

The world's gone mad.
uptonparkhurst

Location: On the ground floor, thinking that the "next level" could be the basement

Postby DrVenk on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:47 pm

MD_HM wrote:Unless a medical exception then a child that hasn’t had any operation to alter the gender they were born with would still be that gender.

You're talking about sex reassignment not gender reassignment.

I'm gonna have to beat this drum until the day I die :)

As for the teacher, being publicly flogged like that is terrible. An honest mistake on his part.
DrVenk

Postby uptonparkhurst on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:58 pm

Tbh, I don't see it as a "mistake" - he could equally well have been castigated
if he'd said "girls and boy" if the child had decided to be offended by that.
I suppose he could have said "children","people" or something similar.
How can anyone have a genuine conversation when every single word has to evaluated
in case it might give offence to the Thought Police?
uptonparkhurst

Location: On the ground floor, thinking that the "next level" could be the basement

Postby DrVenk on Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:21 pm

It is a mistake to say that people are born a 'girl' (or boy). No. They are born female (or male). The gender is then for them to work out as they get older.
DrVenk

Postby Hammers Dad on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:01 pm

DrVenk wrote:It is a mistake to say that people are born a 'girl' (or boy). No. They are born female (or male). The gender is then for them to work out as they get older.

Sorry but that is complete rubbish.
The definitions are:
Boy - a male child or youth
Girl - a female child
Hammers Dad

Postby DrVenk on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:23 pm

It really isn't and you're just seeing sex and gender as the same thing. You may use the terms interchangeably, but it's just sloppy thinking.

I won't bother trying to convince you that sex/gender are distinct, as I know I'll be banging my head against a brick wall, but it is biology and sociology 101 - our genitals and our identities are separate and they don't have to map onto each other neatly.
DrVenk

Postby MD_HM on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:23 pm

DrVenk wrote:It is a mistake to say that people are born a 'girl' (or boy). No. They are born female (or male). The gender is then for them to work out as they get older.

Not for 99.999% of people it isn’t, they remain as they were born; male or female.

It’s not a do I like my steak medium rare or well done type of decision to work out.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/white-floridan-man-who-identifies-as-filipino-sparks-social-media-outcry-a3690311.html

Here is the latest, it’s getting worse by the day :lol:
MD_HM

Postby DrVenk on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:26 pm

MD_HM wrote:Not for 99.999% of people it isn’t, they remain as they were born; male or female.

You are talking about transexuals.

The issue here is transgender, and the problem is people don't think gender is different from sex when it's blindingly obvious it is.
DrVenk

Postby MD_HM on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:30 pm

DrVenk wrote:It really isn't and you're just seeing sex and gender as the same thing. You may use the terms interchangeably, but it's just sloppy thinking.

I won't bother trying to convince you that sex/gender are distinct, as I know I'll be banging my head against a brick wall, but it is biology and sociology 101 - our genitals and our identities are separate and they don't have to map onto each other neatly.

I am intrigued by your definitions to be honest.

I have no problem with “adults” feeling/deciding they should have been been the opposite sex and having the operations to change that etc....

Just think as it’s such a tiny tiny % of people that feel like that then we shouldn’t deflect and change what doesn’t need to be changed.

Over 8m pupils, over 25k schools and this effects 2k people (although not sure how they are working that out for a three year old)

Think there are more people that think they are a Jedi in this country!
MD_HM

Postby MD_HM on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:33 pm

DrVenk wrote:The issue here is transgender, and the problem is people don't think gender is different from sex when it's blindingly obvious it is.

Please explain, it’s not obvious to me.

I thought it was about someone for example that is born a woman, feeling like that want to live as a man

What I am missing?
MD_HM

Postby DrVenk on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:52 pm

The slippage is evident in what you just wrote..."people born a woman".

Colloquially accepted, but actually wrong - should read "people born female".

Now, I was born male. Got the purple wand and hairy sack of magic to prove it. And as part of that, I was raised in blue clothing (not pink), encouraged to play football, helped my dad out on DIY etc. That is, raised as a 'boy' - football...it's what boys play. My sister, being born with a fanny, was raised differently - gynmnastics, wore pink, never was allowed to help my dad with DIY etc. She was raised as a 'girl' - gymnastics and dolls houses...'girls love that sort of thing'

So - you can see how based on our different genitalia we were moulded differently. The point about people concerned with gender identity is that they argue that we don't have to accept the way we moulded just because we were born with certain genitalia.

A further example - if I suddenly ditched my masculine identity (that is, ideas about what is to be a 'man') and decided 'nope, sod jeans and shirt, I'm off to primark to get a black sparkly number, and I just LOVE those high heels'...then I am adopting a woman gender identity. Still got the purple wand and hairy sack of magic, but how I want to identify myself, outwardly, socially, is as a woman, not a man. "Man! I feel like a woman".

So, I can be both male and a woman. Analytically sound.

But, I know, I KNOW...this is all seen as BS and a separation without a real difference. But it's not up for debate - there ARE people with fannys who want to dress and act in a way we associate with men; and there are people with purple wands who want to dress and act in ways we associate with women.

That's all we need know...people of the same sexes are adopting different identities which don't fit with common stereotypes.

That's because gender identity is not the same as sex. If you don't believe that, then you are just routinely ignoring what people are wearing and saying!
DrVenk

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug