Change of career

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Change of career

Postby wizzo_66 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:27 pm

I know a few KUMBers have had career changes - some with great success.

To those that have taken the leap of faith - any advice that you can offer?

I have been in the public sector for nearly 10 years, I'm 27 - risen very quickly through the ranks to a managerial role with Head of Service deputising responsibilities....but I've become increasingly unhappy in what I do, job satisfaction at an all time low. I won't bore with the details but it's now having an impact on how I feel at home which has made me reflect with a bit more urgency.

Gets to the point where you have to value your mental health. I'm not sure what it is I want to do, but I know it's not what I am doing now.

So yeah, any advice, experiences would be really welcome.

:thup:
wizzo_66

Re: Change of career

Postby orbital on Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:50 pm

I would say go for it, if it is effecting you mentally you have to change, I had the same situation before I got the job I do know, was on the verge of a mental breakdown, so took a 50% wage reduction and have not looked back, I even had just had a child at the time, so money was important, but excuse the cliche, not as important as your health.
orbital

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:00 pm

27 is still plenty young enough to switch, assuming you don't have kids or other similarly major commitments. Bear in mind, the grass isn't always greener.

Case in point, it's traditional in my field (IT) to moan that plumbers are grossly overpaid for what they do etc. and that we should all retrain as plumbers and become rich, living an easy life. In actual fact, it's a tough trade, contorting yourself under people's badly installed plumbing, covered in their excrement.
DasNutNock

Postby Tenbury on Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:02 pm

Though I'm effectively now retired,I've had more than one change of direction.Teacher...nuseryman.....Horticultural lecturer.....Motorcycle courier.....Pig farmer.Most have been a function of my mental state,and I'm not typical,but if I could go back again, I'd stick with the most secure job,with pension etc,etc,and do some incredible stuff at weekends/holidays.It's easy to take stuff like financial security for granted.....you appreciate it more when you haven't got it.
Having said that, if you're single/your partner's minted/your family's grown up, or you're like me,go for it.

Either way, good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Tenbury

Postby wizzo_66 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:14 pm

DasNutNock wrote: Bear in mind, the grass isn't always greener.

Something I have absolutely been playing over and over in my mind.

No kids yet, a hefty mortgage so I couldn't utterly slash my salary, but there is some wriggle room - there always is.
wizzo_66

Postby davids cross on Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:25 pm

Would never change my carer.....

Lovely woman.

Cleans my testicles and everything.
davids cross

Postby only1post on Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:54 pm

I don't think he is applying for the job of dusting your knackers DC.
only1post

Postby sendô on Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:32 pm

I need something where I can work locally and be my own boss but still have the same levels of job security and remuneration that I have now.

Failing that I'd be happy to fly to tourist hotspots and check out the bars and hotels for triple my current pay.

I'm flexible.
sendô

Postby ereford ammer on Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:36 pm

My career has changed direction several times. I left being a horticultural lecturer (like Tenbury) to set up a private training company which was successful and then went my own way doing a variety of jobs. I packed in the steady eddy when I was listening to a radio interview with the late Sir John Harvey Jones who said 'the biggest risk in life is not taking one'. I thought about it and handed in my notice. Oh and at the time I had four kids, a big mortgage and a wife with a credit card addiction. My advice, think carefully, have a plan in case things go wrong and be prepared for when the opportunity comes. Good luck, life is too short to have a job that makes you miserable. :thup:
ereford ammer

Postby Hampshire Hammer on Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:05 pm

davids cross wrote:Would never change my carer.....

Lovely woman.

Lucky beggar I have to pay extra for that and even more if I want her to use a soft cloth.
Hampshire Hammer

Postby ageing hammer on Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:07 pm

Lovely woman.

Pity she didn't clean your spectacles David :D
ageing hammer

Postby Hampshire Hammer on Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:10 pm

ereford ammer wrote: My advice, think carefully, have a plan in case things go wrong and be prepared for when the opportunity comes. Good luck, life is too short to have a job that makes you miserable. :thup:

Sound advice, there is a temptation to think "Anything must be better than this, that job is different I'll go for that" and end up in a worse place. I do know someone who went from IT to being a plumber, I also know several who couldn't hack it, I also know a couple of people who packed in office jobs for an outside job and didn't make it through the first winter.

Make a list of your skills and interests and think where they could be applied - office management is the same everywhere but what else can you add to it and where could you apply it? Do you want to work on your own (is it people that get you down)?
Hampshire Hammer

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:02 pm

wizzo_66 wrote:I know a few KUMBers have had career changes - some with great success.

To those that have taken the leap of faith - any advice that you can offer?

I have been in the public sector for nearly 10 years, I'm 27 - risen very quickly through the ranks to a managerial role with Head of Service deputising responsibilities....but I've become increasingly unhappy in what I do, job satisfaction at an all time low. I won't bore with the details but it's now having an impact on how I feel at home which has made me reflect with a bit more urgency.

Gets to the point where you have to value your mental health. I'm not sure what it is I want to do, but I know it's not what I am doing now.

So yeah, any advice, experiences would be really welcome.

:thup:

Better to realise it at 27, than be in the same situation at 39 with a young child, like I am!

My advice...

Quit your job (or jobs if you have a partner), rent out your property, and take a break. Six months or a year. Travel the world, do some volunteering somewhere

That will give you plenty of time to think long and hard about what you want. You never know, opportunity might strike somewhere you least expect it
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby RichieRiv on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:43 pm

If it's any consolation Wizzo you are not are alone. I manage a group of 20 somethings both directly and as an extended team and the one thing they all have in common is the fear that they'll hate their jobs - that and a constant need to experience career mobility.

My theory is that someone or something has done a number on them and your generation. There appears to be an unrelenting pursuit of perfection and it is somehow deemed a failure if you're not 100% happy in your job. I think this coupled with the obscene levels of student debt, promotion is essential to maintain the debt and this has led to a perfect storm.

The reality is very few people are 100% happy with their jobs, especially those who are hungry and want progression. My granddad gave my mum this simple piece of advice over 50 years ago when she started work - "there will be some bits you like and others you won't". That advice was handed down to me and some 20 years on I think it still rings true. For example I have just returned from a week in Jo-burg. It was brilliant, seeing clients, working and coaching the aforementioned 20 somethings and actually having fun on the job. Today it's back to earth with a bump.

But this is not about me, so here's my two-penneth.....

If you fear that your mental health is at risk, then you need to detach yourself from your job. Ultimately we all need to work to put a roof over our heads and food on the table, so jacking it in for most, isn't realistic. Treat it as a means to an end. The analogy I use is the paper boy / girl. The last thing he / she wants to do is get up at 5am on a cold and wet Sunday morning to deliver the papers - they do though because they know that each week they'll get paid.

This is not a long term fix, but enough to give you the breathing space to think, whilst paying the bills and not getting too stressed about it. You need to think long and hard about what it is you want to do and how you intend to get there and you and you only can make these decisions, albeit with a bit of advice.

If you want a sounding board, then please feel free to PM me any time. Sometimes you just need to run things past someone independent. It helps to provide your own clarity, without the usual "you should do this and you should do that".
RichieRiv

Postby bubbles1966 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:54 pm

wizzo_66 wrote:To those that have taken the leap of faith - any advice that you can offer?

In your heart of hearts you know when you're ****ing sick of something.

The only questions then are how and when you make the change, not if.
bubbles1966

Postby Monkeybubbles on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:04 pm

Lovely woman.

Hampshire Hammer wrote:Lucky beggar I have to pay extra for that and even more if I want her to use a soft cloth.

Though, to be fair, you don't keep yours in a jar in the fridge.
Monkeybubbles

Postby Monkeybubbles on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:16 pm

Wizzo....I put up with a job that I didn't like for too long, and put myself under a lot of pressure because I was scared that it was all I could do. Eventually I had an aneurysm, partly/mostly due to the stress. 20 seconds from karking it, and all that.

Since then, I don't really take anything particularly seriously. Weird thing is, I still do pretty much the same job, but now I've learnt to enjoy it and I'm actually more successful than I was when I really cared.

Life's harsh, then you die. Take it easy.
Monkeybubbles

Postby warp on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:26 pm

you've got to ask yourself a question: do i feel lu...

no wait.

i mean, is it that job that you hate, or just working?
if it is something intrinsically related to that job then it's a no-brainer.
but if like me you see working as a complete waste of time, you're pretty much screwed, and could end up doing something which you will consider even worse.

well, do ya, punk?
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby Tenbury on Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:57 am

Richie. :thup:

You see these old twats on the TV.." Bin catching eels all me life,and my father was,and 'is father.....etc...all very bucolic..Facts are he gets piss wet,ripped off by the fishmonger,and while he's out all night,his missus is banging the neighbour.

The other man's arse is always cleaner.
Tenbury

Postby JerseyHammer on Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:25 am

I am the epitomy of someone that won't do something they don't want to, so I'd say that if you aren't happy then look to change.

BUT, take your time. Let the right opportunity come up, don't go looking for something that doesn't exist which will end up like trying to make a square peg fit into a round hole.
JerseyHammer

Next

Return to The Snug