Stuff That Made You Buy Stuff .

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Stuff That Made You Buy Stuff .

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:38 pm

We were watching an episode of ' Rick And Morty ' last night [ Rick Potion No9 ] , at the end of the episode [ I won't spoil it for you ] the Mazzy Star song ' Look On Down From The Bridge ' is played while Morty's face remains in shock on the screen .

Today I bought the Mazzy Star album ' Among My Swan ' .

I'd never heard of Mazzy Star up until last night , now I have one of their albums .

A couple of years ago Madisen Ward and Mama Bear sang ' Live By The Water ' on BBC's ' Breakfast ' programme , I immediately bought ' Skeleton Crew ' as I had to hear more of their songs .

What influenced you to buy things ?
The Old Man of Storr

Re: Stuff That Made You Buy Stuff .

Postby WHU_Del on Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:05 pm

Stuart Maconie.

I had always avoided anything described as 'krautrock', because I'd assumed it meant soft-rock-wave-your-lighter-in-the-air stuff like The Scorpions.
Anyway, I was doing a night shift listening to The Freak Zone on 6Music, when Maconie played this track that I thought was utterly fantastic. My little DAB told me it was 'Weapons Destruction' by Warm Digits.
So I went on a little surf about the web, and discovered that this was what krautrock was, (or at least was very heavily influenced by it). Psychedelic, electronic, often instrumental.
I was utterly smitten and have proceeded to spend quite a lot of money (not just on Warm Digits) after hearing this one track.
WHU_Del

Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:30 pm

Following vloggers on YouTube influenced me to buy a decent camera.

Listening to bands like The Jam, The Who and The Kinks got me interested in the whole mod culture and an appreciation of good clothes and music, which have since branched off into different sub cultures and now a massive variety if musical interests.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:42 pm

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Following vloggers on YouTube influenced me to buy a decent camera.

When I had to leave work due to my back problem it coincided with the firm looking for voluntary redundancy applicants - I'd been with them for 7 years so received enough to buy myself a digital camera - I had already tested the waters with a Nikon F80 and really enjoyed my new hobby but now came the time to invest in a serious camera - I did a lot of research but was finally convinced to buy the Nikon D7000 described by Ken Rockwell as ' the best camera Nikon ever made ' , that was back in 2012 , they've made better cameras since . :)
Anyway , I'm happy with my kit but if I ever get enough money to buy the Nikon D750 then that will be my next camera [ I think ] .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:49 pm

The mainstream switch to surround sound made me upgrade my home AV system, so I could have some chance of understanding what the f*ck anyone was saying. All I could hear for years was the sound of Charlie Brown's Teachers whenever someone was meant to be talking, followed by deafening explosions as Van Damme threw someone else through a window.

Upgrading to full uncompressed 5.1 was like removing earplugs for the first time.
DasNutNock

Postby FreeWheeling on Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:58 pm

2 years ago I had one of those silly little blow up paddling pools in the garden for the granddaughter
it was a piece of crap and kept going down

I was walking into Tesco's to grab a sandwich when I noticed that they were offering one of those big 2700 litre 8 foot pools for 20 sovs, I grabbed one
Got home big grin on my face thinking of the browny points I am going to get for this

I had not thought it through
next comes
Chlorine tabs etc
Pool Cover
Leaf skimmer
Filter pump
Ah , gonna need a decent permanent power source for the pump
So cables , waterproof sockets etc

a 20 quid pool end up costing around £160
FreeWheeling

Postby Tenbury on Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:02 pm

My desperate need to shag an 18 year old from Bury, once induced me to purchase two tickets for a 10cc gig in Southport.
Tenbury

Postby Rio on Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:06 pm

Alcohol
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Postby Hummer_I_mean_Hammer on Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:42 pm

weed or hash.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Postby Etonhammer on Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:47 pm

Tenbury wrote:My desperate need to shag an 18 year old from Bury, once induced me to purchase two tickets for a 10cc gig in Southport.

Was it just a silly phase you were going through :wink:
Etonhammer

Location: Laid on the floor seeing 'Jesus saves' painted by an atheist nutter

Postby irongav on Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:39 pm

stuff that's made me buy stuff would have to be my sperm .......... I will let you decide which path that leads, but whichever path its gonna be expensive
irongav

Postby mushy on Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:05 am

Tenbury wrote:My desperate need to shag an 18 year old from Bury, once induced me to purchase two tickets for a 10cc gig in Southport.

Etonhammer wrote:Was it just a silly phase you were going through :wink:

Brilliant.
mushy

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:44 am

irongav wrote:stuff that's made me buy stuff would have to be my sperm .......... I will let you decide which path that leads, but whichever path its gonna be expensive

Cleaning products?
DasNutNock

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:34 am

Rio wrote:Alcohol

:) Now in the dim and distant but yeah alcohol is behind half my house covered in books .

I could have bought gold , shares in Microsoft , Shell , become an Arms Dealer but oh no I bought a load of books - ah well great place to store all our dust .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby last.caress on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:31 pm

Beavis & Butthead. Such a brilliant music show back in the 90s. Ended up with albums by Henry Rollins, Whale, Cycle Sluts From Hell, Dinosaur Jr., Mudhoney, Didjits, The Reverend Horton Heat and Maggie Estep among many others I can't recall right now, because of that show.

last.caress
Extreme w*nker

Location: Se incontri L'ultima.carezza, prega per la tua morte.

Postby vmixture on Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:07 pm

last.caress wrote:Henry Rollins

Liar!
vmixture

Postby last.caress on Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:49 am

vmixture wrote:Liar!

I'll come to you like an affliction, and I'll leave you like an addiction. You'll never forget me. You want to know why? 'Cos I'm a liar! Yeah, I'm a liar! I'll rip your mind out, I'll burn your soul. I'll turn you into me, I'll turn you into me, 'cos I'm a liar! A liar! Liar, liar, liar, liar!

last.caress
Extreme w*nker

Location: Se incontri L'ultima.carezza, prega per la tua morte.

Postby Hummer_I_mean_Hammer on Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:52 am

Tenbury wrote:My desperate need to shag an 18 year old from Bury,

Tenbury wrote:once induced me to purchase two tickets for a 10cc gig in Southport.

I thought one was related to the other? 10cc being a the amount you unload when shagging?
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Postby vmixture on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:06 am

last.caress wrote:I'll come to you like an affliction, and I'll leave you like an addiction. You'll never forget me. You want to know why? 'Cos I'm a liar! Yeah, I'm a liar! I'll rip your mind out, I'll burn your soul. I'll turn you into me, I'll turn you into me, 'cos I'm a liar! A liar! Liar, liar, liar, liar!

Great song, great episode, great time of life. Mid 90's, late Friday night with a bunch of Jamaican woodbines, curry delivered and Beavis and Butthead on the telly.
vmixture

Postby Monkeybubbles on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:32 am

If her from Mazzy Star had a proper rack fitted, I would buy her the moon, the stars and the Boleyn Ground.
Monkeybubbles

Next

Return to The Snug