Pets insurance.

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Pets insurance.

Postby Big George on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:26 pm

Any tips?

Mrs BG has pitched up with two kittens and seems upset at my idea of throwing them in the river. (Kidding, they are very cute)

Anyone recommend a per insurance provider? They’ve had all their jabs etc

What should I be paying?
Big George

Re: Pets insurance.

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:43 am

I pay a few quid a month for basic insurance for our 3 year old ginger tom, who joined us from Battersea. Might look for a better policy next time - our neighbour's just spent £2k getting a tooth pulled from his cat.
DasNutNock

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:33 am

When I was with my ex, we had always been with PetPlan. Never let me down, always pay up and most vets will honour the policy straight off the bat (without you having to pay up front). They'll also pay for continuous treatment for existing conditions.

Recently my missus took out a policy with Animal Friends which (according to the latest vet we've seen) recommends them as being "one of the better companies". I'll keep you posted on how they perform as we've currently got one of our cats at the vet in quite a serious condition. You have to pay up front with these and claim back afterwards, which is a real pain.

Direct Line were a bit shady so we gave them a swerve after a year.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:52 am

^
Pretty sure our policy is with Animal Friends, too.
DasNutNock

Postby Phil S on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:24 pm

I found animal friends pretty good
Phil S

Postby Joyeux Marteau on Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:12 pm

My two cats are insured with Direct Line - I got a good discount as I get my home contents insurance with them as well.

Well worth it though!
Joyeux Marteau

Postby mumbles87 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:49 pm

I have animal friends for my cocker spaniel.. good company so far.. been decent in our claim

poor little guy just got Epilepsy well had his first seizure in august... then about 4 in the past month...

trail and error with the old meds but so far the insurance been decent enough processing the claim
mumbles87

Postby DoubleDave on Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:57 am

We opened a bank account for our little puppy and set up a standing order, hopefully he wont need any treatment for a long time, if ever, but when he does the money will be there when we need it.
DoubleDave

Postby Whitters on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:21 am

When we were in the UK we used Animal Friends, based on reputation rather than personal experience as thankfully we never had to call on their services. They used to donate some of their profits to animal charities, so ethically comforting too.
Whitters

Postby Big George on Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:54 pm

cheers guys and what's the monthly premiums
Big George

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:01 pm

Big George wrote:cheers guys and what's the monthly premiums

Around £7 per cat per month.

Animal Friends also donate to rescue centres too.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Wembley1966 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:10 pm

mumbles87 wrote:I have animal friends for my cocker spaniel.. good company so far.. been decent in our claim

poor little guy just got Epilepsy well had his first seizure in august... then about 4 in the past month...

trail and error with the old meds but so far the insurance been decent enough processing the claim

Our labrador suffered when he was younger. A bit of a shock and panic with the first seizure and then he used to have about 1 a month for 6 months. Very random and nothing obvious which might have triggered an attack. Been no sign of any for the last 4 years but we still look out for the slightest symptoms.

More concerned with what he manages to eat - kilo tubs of Flora, a whole large Christmas cake - complete with marzipan, icing and all the sultanas and raisins that aren't good for dogs, but he did leave the ceramic snowman. We now keep some hydrogen peroxide around - that makes them throw up and very effective for the time he got a box of chocolates.
Wembley1966

Postby TootingRob on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:33 pm

Have two cats and two dogs, always had pets always had insurance ( this started after a cat In the 90's cost me over £1500 before running away, well we moved and he kept going back to the old house a mile away crossing mains roads and all sorts ) anyway I have found that the supermarkets offered the cheapest insurance and were very good at paying back money. Ever year when the premiums went up, I'd phone them and they'd either agree to lower the cost or I'd change provider. A few years back changed to direct line as along with my car and home insurance it was a lot cheaper than anyone else. claiming is easy and I've just renewed as they now seem to be the cheapest again as my car and home bring the cost down. Just payed out £400 on one of the dogs and got £320 back. Getting bloody expensive now as the cats are 9 and the dogs are 8 and 9. Ask your vet if they offer a plan that includes everything. My vet does but as my plans renew at different times doesn't made sense to change, hope that helps
TootingRob

Postby Big George on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:12 am

You’re all very nice people, thank you for your advice.

In other news it’s very difficult relaxing with a bottle of red on a Friday with two batshit crazy kittens tearing around at 100mph for what seems like hours :P
Big George

Postby Rocket on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:13 am

Big George, is your missus a friend of Whitters?

I use helpucover.co.uk. They're one of the cheapest but I have no complaints. I'd advise looking on compare the market.
Rocket

Postby vietnammer on Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:22 pm

If you took out life insurance on your cat then throttled it, would they do a post-mortem?
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby POP POP POP Robson on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:59 am

Big George wrote:You’re all very nice people, thank you for your advice.

In other news it’s very difficult relaxing with a bottle of red on a Friday with two batshit crazy kittens tearing around at 100mph for what seems like hours :P

You have my sympathy. We got a kitten a few weeks ago (wasn't my idea) and I know what you mean. It feels like a relief when it's having a nap and not tearing around or trying to get a piece of your lunch/dinner (seems to have a bread fetish). We use petinsurance.co.uk which is just under £7 each for our other cats but they do occasionally put the price up without warning. Haven't had to claim on it yet but might check out Animal Friends.
POP POP POP Robson

Postby Rocket on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:39 pm

I have a kitten who is eleven months old (I can't decide if she's an old kitten or a young cat). She was batshit insane when I first got her, but has calmed down a bit now that she's been spayed and is allowed outside.
Rocket

Return to The Snug