Anti Wetherspoons snobbery

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Anti Wetherspoons snobbery

Postby cockney farmer on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:35 pm

See quite a bit of it on social media , having been in quite a few all over the UK I don't get it , granted some are ***** and in certain areas will attract a fair few dodgy customers (Millers Well anyone) , others are fantastic buildings , counting House Glasgow , Liberty Bounds Tower bridge and Imperial Exeter to name a few , I also know Tim Martin and he is such a down to earth bloke , so has anyone genuinely never been in one , what's your best/worst ?
cockney farmer

Re: Anti Wetherspoons snobbery

Postby Burningaham on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:40 pm

Weatherspoons in fleetwood is something to see on a Saturday afternoon. One of the main attractions in the town.
Burningaham

Postby cockney farmer on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:47 pm

Reminded of another fantastic one I've been in Blackpool sea front glass lifts indoor heater , the lot
cockney farmer

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:38 pm

Not from me. They get a hell of a lot of things right - decent ales and decent beers sold cheaper that almost all pubs. Grub is cheap and cheerful if you need some nosebag before a game or an all day jolly.
I've drank in loads and actually prefer them to some of the pretentious and expensive pubs that seem to be springing up in London. At least you get a complete cross-section in the spoons, from pissheads, blue collar workers, office sorts.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Rio on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:53 pm

They do key things right, but key things wrong. On the whole they’re alright & actually improving.

The beers good. The ale range is ever changing and decent, craft bottles can’t argue with, plus the big standard garbage for the less discerning customer.
Food. Well you can’t beat the breakfasts for value. The rest is hit and miss. But if your going out for a proper meal, go to a proper restaurant. Spoons microwaved specials do the job for a working lunch, refuel etc.

The clientele can be iffy. But that’s because the beers cheap and cheerful.

What they get wrong is the pubs themselves. More often than not they don’t feel homely or welcoming. More sterile and make do. Staff can be incredibly hit and miss too.
No music or sport on is something that doesn’t help create atmosphere, sometimes stimulates conversation.

They’ve done the one near where I work in Victoria up. It’s actually more light and airy. Subtle changes, little structure change and a refresh of the furniture and it’s quite pleasant.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Postby RichieRiv on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:27 pm

JJ Moons in Hornchurch is okay both in terms of pub and clientele. Penderel's Oak in Holborn, is vast but pretty good.
RichieRiv

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:02 pm

Rio wrote:No music or sport on is something that doesn’t help create atmosphere, sometimes stimulates conversation.

They do sport in at least three that I know of (two in Wood Green and one in Leyton). They do music in Maidstone and believe me, it's ****ing ***** but thankfully it's only on Friday.
They do a pub quiz on a Monday in one of the Maidstone ones.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby AnthraxDave on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:10 pm

The one in Hereford is fantastic. Always a decent range of guest/continental ales.
Not really a fan of the food they do, though.
AnthraxDave

Postby tall paul on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:51 am

The best pub in Braintree is the spoons, this probably says more about Braintree than the spoons :|
tall paul

Postby jevs on Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:51 am

I meet my daughter every Sunday at the 'Spoons in Hailsham, East Sussex. Can't fault it....food is super, coffee good (too early for beer plus i'm driving and daughter is 7 months pregnant).

You do, however, get a couple of families with about 10 kids each who continually run amok whilst the parents play on their iphones.
jevs

Postby Rocket on Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:46 am

Rio wrote:No music or sport on is something that doesn’t help create atmosphere, sometimes stimulates conversation.

They’ve done the one near where I work in Victoria up. It’s actually more light and airy. Subtle changes, little structure change and a refresh of the furniture and it’s quite pleasant.

I have always assumed that not having music and sport is one of the things that helps to keep them cheap, as they don't have to pay for the licences.

Which one in Victoria? The Shakespeare by the station?

Pendrel's Oak is a good shout from Richie.

I'd be interested to know what independent publicans think of them. Do they have a similar attitude as cabbies have towards uber?
Rocket

Postby Rio on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:12 am

Rocket wrote:I have always assumed that not having music and sport is one of the things that helps to keep them cheap, as they don't have to pay for the licences.

Which one in Victoria? The Shakespeare by the station?

Pendrel's Oak is a good shout from Richie.

I'd be interested to know what independent publicans think of them. Do they have a similar attitude as cabbies have towards uber?

The Willow Walk.

Shakespeare I thought was a Taylor walker pub. Can’t stand the place
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Postby Tenbury on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:31 am

Massive variations,but on balance they aren't the worstpubs in any given town.Food cheap n' cheerfull ,probably not the best place for a first date.
Beer choice pretty good,but they should look to stock more local brands(Tesco have started doing this) I expect the choice of ciders is good for most areas,but here in Cidershire, it's second rate.
Tenbury

Postby pablo jaye on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:35 am

They do what it says on the tin ... you know exactly what you are getting in a Spoons.

They do some decent beers and the food doesn't pretend to be anything fancier than what it is.

Unlike some pubs who seem to give the impression that Raymond Blanc is in the kitchen preparing edgy fusion food, whereas it is actually someone setting the timer on the pre-prepared microwave meals. As for descriptions of the food - hand torn oak smoked Wiltshire hock of ham with two free range corn fed Rhode Island Red eggs, on a bed of thrice fried Maris Piper classic chunky chips ..... my arse!!! That's ham egg and chips!!
pablo jaye

Postby vietnammer on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:58 pm

They do good breakfasts.

They serve Abbots

All good far as I'm concerned
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:05 pm

Only been inside two of them , one in Maldon [ very nice , good food , very efficient staff ] another in New Brighton , basic , tables not cleared , only one girl serving , she was doing her very best but could have done with some assistance , being a Friday night probably didn't help but we all thought it was cheap and cheerful and would have gone back had we being staying longer .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Tenbury on Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:21 pm

The one in Kiddy is revolting,full of old dossers tables/carpet etc strewn with half- trampled food.The beer is lousy,the service is appalling and the bogs invariably overflowing.

It is,however, by far the best pub in town.
Tenbury

Postby sendô on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:31 pm

They're largely alright. Cheap beer, iffy food, a broad range of clientele.

It's a means to an end.
sendô

Postby The Collector on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:13 am

We would always choose the Spotted Dog rather than the Barking Dog, even though the beer was more expensive. I guess that it was a bit of snobbery but one was a pub and the other is an ex-supermarket.

However, when Davy’s sold the Spotted and the new people couldn’t give a toss about cleanliness of the tables, bar, glasses or toilets then we started meeting at the Barking. Better beer choice and they wash the glasses.

I might pop into the Hamilton Hall on the way home (mainly to have a slash) and have swift half, but don’t tend to use them because there is not one near where I work or where I live.
The Collector

Postby Mega Ron on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:24 am

From my experience they keep the places clean and tidy which, given the clientele of some, is no mean feat.

When we first moved to Brockley the Barge was the only real pub that you could get cheap food from and I would always be happy meeting mates there for a huge plate of food to help soak up the Saturday night booze.
Mega Ron

Next

Return to The Snug