Anti Wetherspoons snobbery

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Anti Wetherspoons snobbery

Postby fmgod on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:31 am

Nothing wrong with them in a few are really nice venues, that have taken old buildings, minds gone but the massive one near liverpool street(not hamilton hall is lovely)
Low prices
Constantly bringing in new beers and spirits
Okay the food is not amazing but it is exactly what it is
No music or sport, perfect for conversation
They are pretty honest about what they are, they don't pretend to be high end

Yeah you do the odd dodgy one but that is any chain
fmgod

Postby dave_l on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:45 am

Huge variations in them. The ones near me seem to end up being full of characters that are in for the duration each day nursing pints of John Smiths or equivalent. On the flip side, I’ve been to a few that aren’t bad at all and they all tend to do some proper ales with a decent selection.
dave_l

Postby delbert on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:26 pm

The Collector wrote:We would always choose the Spotted Dog rather than the Barking Dog, even though the beer was more expensive. I guess that it was a bit of snobbery but one was a pub and the other is an ex-supermarket.

However, when Davy’s sold the Spotted and the new people couldn’t give a toss about cleanliness of the tables, bar, glasses or toilets then we started meeting at the Barking. Better beer choice and they wash the glasses.

I might pop into the Hamilton Hall on the way home (mainly to have a slash) and have swift half, but don’t tend to use them because there is not one near where I work or where I live.

My mate once described the Barking Dog as the Spotted Dog's toilet....... :lol:
delbert

Postby Essex bill on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:09 pm

I used to love the Langthorne until we rocked up in town.
Essex bill

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:19 pm

cockney farmer wrote:See quite a bit of it on social media , having been in quite a few all over the UK I don't get it , granted some are ***** and in certain areas will attract a fair few dodgy customers (Millers Well anyone) , others are fantastic buildings , counting House Glasgow , Liberty Bounds Tower bridge and Imperial Exeter to name a few , I also know Tim Martin and he is such a down to earth bloke , so has anyone genuinely never been in one , what's your best/worst ?

Can't deny that some of Wethers are set in fantastic buildings.

The clientele and the beer however are cack. Thats not being a snob, thats experience. :wink:
westham,eggyandchips

Postby The Big Show on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:42 pm

Went to the new one in Ramsgate a couple of months ago. It is the old pavilion on the beach and is absolutely massive. You can almost quite literally have one foot in the pub and one foot on the sand. The roof terrace is huge and as it was a lovely day was a great place for beers in the sun with an amazing view. Kitchen is open plan, there's god knows how many bars. If it was some poncy brand owned by a celebrity chef peope would be creaming themseves over it.

The Hudson Bay on the other hand........
The Big Show

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:12 pm

The Big Show wrote:Went to the new one in Ramsgate a couple of months ago. It is the old pavilion on the beach and is absolutely massive. You can almost quite literally have one foot in the pub and one foot on the sand. The roof terrace is huge and as it was a lovely day was a great place for beers in the sun with an amazing view. Kitchen is open plan, there's god knows how many bars. If it was some poncy brand owned by a celebrity chef peope would be creaming themseves over it.

My mate was in there the other day and sent me photos. Looks really really imrpessive. I'll have to check it out - it looks amazing.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Coops on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:16 pm

Wetherspoons chicken wings are fantastic.
Coops

Postby -DL- on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:17 pm

Bought my 18 year old his first legal pint in the spoons in Leicester Square a few weeks back. Was a nice afternoon, so sat outside. Inside was a bit pokey though. However, it was much, much better than the Moon on The Square in Basildon for sure...
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby Big George on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:22 pm

The Big Show wrote:Went to the new one in Ramsgate a couple of months ago. It is the old pavilion on the beach and is absolutely massive. You can almost quite literally have one foot in the pub and one foot on the sand. The roof terrace is huge and as it was a lovely day was a great place for beers in the sun with an amazing view. Kitchen is open plan, there's god knows how many bars. If it was some poncy brand owned by a celebrity chef peope would be creaming themseves over it.

The marvellous Marina O’Loughlin didn’t rate it https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mari ... -c98r7zmr5

‘spoons are what they are, they beer isn’t great and the food verges on the rotten but it does serve a market that like it.

I used to go the one in Hornchurch with my Dad and he loved it. It’s was a great social hub for him and his mates and I will be grateful to them for that.
Big George

Postby The Big Show on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:04 pm

Reviewers like that do my head in a bit, obviously writing for her audience in The Times. You know what you're getting, something to eat and a drink for 6 quid. Now I've never eaten in a Wetherspoons but I think I know what's it's probably going to be like. I love a pint in a countryside pub on the river, but I also defy most people not to enjoy a pint in that place, on the sun terrace next to the beach.
Like BG says, they are a community hub for many. Good luck to those that enjoy them. I do from time to time.
The Big Show

Postby mushy on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:09 pm

Essex bill wrote:I used to love the Langthorne until we rocked up in town.

Is that a spoons pub?
mushy

Postby Nesticles on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:47 am

The atmosphere and range of characters can always be hit and miss, but can't complain too much about the food and beer situation.

If you are on an early session, the fry up is really good value. If you are meeting up a bit later, the burgers with a pint are better than most burgers I have probably paid double the price for in some places up town.
Nesticles

Postby Dover KUMB fan on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:54 am

Good cheap beer, & basic but very edible food. What's not to like? As nesticles says, their burgers are actually pretty decent.
The fact that they buy old dilapidated buildings that would otherwise go to rack & ruin has to be applauded too. (The Ramsgate one was empty & derelict for years)
The Whitstable spoons, the Peter Cushing is a very cleverly converted cinema. The foyer as you go in takes you back to your childhood memories of going to the cinema. Really well restored to its former glory.
On the other hand, the Folkestone one is a beautiful old Methodist church that when opened was something to behold. The original organ pipes are still on the wall behind the bar, & the ceiling is hand painted with clouds etc, like a lesser Sistine chapel. However, it has become a bit of a dirty rathole, & needs shutting for a month for a deep clean & refurb. Whether that would happen or not is another thing.
Dover KUMB fan

Postby EastBrisHammer on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:29 am

I have to agree with Rio that they can be very sterile. The beer can be hit or miss, the same with the food. I have been to plenty of Spoons so I wouldn't say I am a snob but in general I try to find better pubs if available.

I go to pubs for the ambience. If the ambience is missing I might as well chat with friends around one of our houses.
EastBrisHammer

Postby Big George on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:38 am

EastBrisHammer wrote:I have to agree with Rio that they can be very sterile. The beer can be hit or miss, the same with the food. I have been to plenty of Spoons so I wouldn't say I am a snob but in general I try to find better pubs if available.

I go to pubs for the ambience. If the ambience is missing I might as well chat with friends around one of our houses.

Speaking as real ale drinker...

I think their intentions with beer are laudable but too many managers don't know how to keep their beer fresh.

They also have too many ales on so a less popular beer will sit in the pipes for too long. Its ok where there a high turonver but in a pub with lots of lager drinkers you can end up with a real rough pint.
Big George

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:35 am

I don't mind the food in a Spoons tbf. Certainly get a lot of choice, and the steak and ale pie is very good value

In terms of good and bad ones, from my experience the worst ones are usually the ones that are in 'nicer' areas with a lot of other pubs nearby as they then become the place where all the less salubrious toe rags hang out - the one at Angel, the one on Stroud Green road etc

Having said that, the big one in St Albans is pretty decent, and the George in Wanstead is alright
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby mushy on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:26 pm

Big George wrote:
I think their intentions with beer are laudable but too many managers don't know how to keep their beer fresh.

They also have too many ales on so a less popular beer will sit in the pipes for too long. Its ok where there a high turonver but in a pub with lots of lager drinkers you can end up with a real rough pint.

I will say that the one I use sometimes (The George,Wanstead), rarely sells a rotten pint but even if they do, they have no qualms about exchanging it, unlike some of the more Camra type establishments around which often refuse to acknowledge a bad pint.
When I am old and skint I intend to sit in these establishments all day drinking the free soda water and keeping nice and warm for nowt.
mushy

Postby Big George on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:33 pm

mushy wrote:I will say that the one I use sometimes (The George,Wanstead), rarely sells a rotten pint but even if they do, they have no qualms about exchanging it, unlike some of the more Camra type establishments around which often refuse to acknowledge a bad pint.
When I am old and skint I intend to sit in these establishments all day drinking the free soda water and keeping nice and warm for nowt.

I think the area between an off pint and one that isn't great condition is tricky. Is it me?> Is it the beer? Am I being too demanding when this cost me less than £2.50?

I once took a pint back in the Blind Beggar which was fun, barman told me to piss off but then apologised when a regular complained about the same beer 5 minutes later.
Big George

Postby RichieRiv on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:42 pm

Big George wrote:Blind Beggar

The biggest pub in London.
RichieRiv

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug