Anti Wetherspoons snobbery

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Anti Wetherspoons snobbery

Postby EastBrisHammer on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:10 pm

They say it is a sign of getting old when the price of a pint is more important than the atmosphere.

There is a Spoons in Bath that is pretty awful. The Thomas Ingoldsby in Canterbury was something else. It was like a southern version of Shameless.
EastBrisHammer

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:22 pm

Well, I like Spitfire, Doombar and Abbott. Spitfire is alright if you fancy a lager without all the gas, as it's not as heavy as other ales.

Ruddles, yeah, not so much Ruddles.
rare as rockinghorse shat

Postby Dover KUMB fan on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:37 pm

EastBrisHammer wrote: The Thomas Ingoldsby in Canterbury was something else. It was like a southern version of Shameless.

The other spoons in Canterbury at the Westgate towers isn't too bad. You do tend to get more oiks in the Ingoldsby.
Dover KUMB fan

Postby Centre Half on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:39 pm

When I was in halls at uni there was a spoons just across the road. Dinner there with pals all the time as the prices were even lower to cater for the students!

Burger and a pint for £5.99 :scarfer: Couldn't even make it yourself for that...

Curry night ain't bad either, always found the steaks a bit on the tough side though...
Centre Half

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:42 pm

Centre Half wrote:found the steaks a bit on the tough side though...

One of them offered me out the other night :shock:
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby somerset-hammer on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:12 pm

My local Spoons has a small wooden dance floor up one end.

Years worth of sick soaked into the floorboards, there's no escaping the smell.
somerset-hammer

Postby on the edge on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:16 pm

Its strange that Hammersmith has 2 within 200 yards of each other but the people stood outside still don't have a full set of teeth between them. Is it law that a paddy power has to be located within throwing distance of a spoons?
on the edge

Postby LincolnshireHammer on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:06 pm

The Collector wrote:You’re not wrong about Doombar, dishwater.

Lincoln had three spoons, didn’t it? One on the Brayford , the converted cinema walking south across the railway track and another near the Premier Inn. Only, been in one when visiting the junior Collector at Uni. 2 pints of Ruddles and a burger at 22:30 at night after a troubled drive up from the Smoke. Lincoln must be blessed to have three spoons, or full of students.

Doombar is the John Smiths of the 1970/80s according to my old man. Just bitter and smooth, nothing else to it. Hardly a beer for the discerning real ale twat!

I believe Lincoln only has two now. The Ritz on the High St and the Square Sail on the Brayford. Far better pubs to visit when in Lincoln.

The Victoria, The Strugglers and The Treaty of Commerce are all top notch.
LincolnshireHammer

Postby woodgreenspur on Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:08 pm

There's good and bad Spoons
I have two near me.
The Tolgate up Turnpike lane despite its location is ok. Decent Ale,good service and normal north London locals.
Spouters Corner in Wood green is a hellhole though.Full of arseholes that can't have half a shandy without wanting to scrap with everyone,and shouldn't be allowed to mix with normal human beings.
And the blokes are worse!
The John Oldcastle is Clerkenwell is ok as well.I like a good spoons,but detest a bad one .Same as any pub really.
woodgreenspur

Postby mushy on Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:17 pm

I went to the Tollgate once for lunch when I was working round the corner.
Once was more than enough.
mushy

Postby EugeneSpeed on Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:46 pm

woodgreenspur wrote:Spouters Corner in Wood green is a hellhole though.Full of arseholes that can't have half a shandy without wanting to scrap with everyone,and shouldn't be allowed to mix with normal human beings.

I used to drink in Spouters Corner a fair bit when I lived in Wood Green. Remember having a day off and seeing the Spurs lad Terry Dixon in there hammered at about 2pm - doing pints and shots with this mate. Must have been just after he was released by West Ham.

It's still better than the Goose, Nelson or Monaghans Tavern though!
EugeneSpeed

Postby woodgreenspur on Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:52 pm

EugeneSpeed wrote:I used to drink in Spouters Corner a fair bit when I lived in Wood Green. Remember having a day off and seeing the Spurs lad Terry Dixon in there hammered at about 2pm - doing pints and shots with this mate. Must have been just after he was released by West Ham.

It's still better than the Goose, Nelson or Monaghans Tavern though!

I'd say the Goose is better nowadays(though i rarely use it)
The Nelson was ok up until about 7 months ago when it was taken over.they have ran into the ground.
It was probably my favourite pub along the high rd up till then.
As for Monaghans, i would rather drink in an Arsenal supporters club than go in there.
It use to be great when it was the Jolly Butchers ,years ago though.
woodgreenspur

Postby Algarve Hammer on Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:32 pm

I think it very much depends on where they are. When I lived in the UK the nearest Spoons was the White House in Luton town centre, it was awful, full of lowlifes, but I'm not sure how much of that was down to the pub itself or just Luton in general.

When I used to visit my Dad in Tiverton the local Spoons, the White Ball Inn was first rate, friendly locals and very well kept ale served by knowledgeable friendly staff who were always happy to let you try a beer you didn't know.
Algarve Hammer

Postby cockney farmer on Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:54 pm

Algarve you perception of Luton inhabitants is similar to what we from Exeter think of Tiverton ones (6 fingers anyone) , Exeter now had 4 spoons , original is brilliant but near uni so you can't move weekends , chev now had roof terrace overlooking back of KFC (you can see cathedral as well though)
Georges Meeting place an old church has zero atmosphere and Sawyers full of less celubrious spoons customers (except says when my old man pops in)
cockney farmer

Postby ChzMff on Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:11 pm

The Knights Templar down Chancery Lane is decent although can sometimes be heaving with local students.
ChzMff

Postby pablo jaye on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:24 pm

Rocketron wrote:Nor Ruddles. :lol:

Ruddles ... tastes and sounds like puddles!!!
pablo jaye

Previous

Return to The Snug