What Magazines Did You Read/Are You Reading?

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

What Magazines Did You Read/Are You Reading?

Postby last.caress on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:40 am

-As a kid, 2000AD comic every week. Maybe from '78-'85ish. Some brief flirtations with some DC titles over this time (The Flash, The Green Lantern, The JLA) but they never really took.
-Then, into my early teens, Smash Hits was the way. Everyone read it. '83-'87 perhaps?
-Over that same period (I think) I would've also been picking up Touchdown magazine and Quarterback newspaper, which I think was renamed First Down. This was all in line with the new Channel 4-driven fad for American Football. Nicky Horne, John Riggins, Dan Marino, Eric Dickerson, Holding Out For a Hero, all that good stuff.
-Briefly, maybe '87-'88ish, Pro Wrestling Illustrated. This was expensive though (a fiver for a mag was quite a lot at that point; it cost less to get into the South Bank at the Boleyn) and only one newsagent in town carried it.
-Late '80s-early '90s, a music mag called Metal Forces and, some time after Metal Forces ceased publication, a new mag called Terrorizer, although I only stuck at that one for a few months. Same went for Alternative Press magazine which initially looked the part but, tbh, really wasn't all that "alternative" in the end (also, as with PWI, it wasn't particularly easy to pick up).
-Started watching Red Dwarf in 1992 while Red Dwarf V was on air and so started buying the Red Dwarf Smegazine but I think I only managed maybe half a dozen issues.
-Then nothing for a while until maybe '97(ish) when I started picking up Official PlayStation Magazine, which I did more-or-less throughout the remaining lifespan of the PSOne and throughout most of the PS2's heyday.
-Then (and in addition to PSM), from maybe '00-'03, FHM. I bought the odd copy of Loaded over that time too but I really didn't take to that one.

Since then, a couple of those collections run by companies like DeAgostini: The Classic Carry On Collection which I completed but since flogged on eBay, Elvis: The Official Collector's Edition which I gave up on a dozen or so issues in, and Eaglemoss's Batman Automobilia set which I did for sixteen issues before quitting.

What mags did you gentlemen used to pick up? Reading anything interesting at the moment?
last.caress
Extreme w*nker

Location: Se incontri L'ultima.carezza, prega per la tua morte.

Re: What Magazines Did You Read/Are You Reading?

Postby vietnammer on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:31 am

Only one regularly through the 90's was Mojo cos they'd do features on people 'from a certain era' that interested me, and it was pre-internet. Then they ran out of yesteryear and the umpteenth Beatles/ Pink Floyd special got repetitive for me. They would do good cd giveaways of contemporary stuff so this old fart could hear what was currently out there. Good writing as I recall. Bit expensive, mind.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:24 pm

Back Street Heroes when I'm bored and on a long journey and that's about it. Used to regularly buy Bass Player magazine in the early 90s. I find now that almost all magazines are just full of advertiments with little substance at all.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Rio on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:43 pm

Used to read Raw, Kerrang, Goal, FourFourTwo religiously

Just down to FourFourTwo now
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:17 pm

Used to buy the ' Thor ' magazine in the 1960s .

As an adult I've bought ' Four Four Two ' and subscibed to ' Film Review ' and ' BBC History ' magazines .

Recently I subscibed to ' Amateur Photographer ' and ' N-Photo ' magazine , a Nikon Camera owners mag . I'd occasionally buy other Photography mags ' Digital Camera ' and ' Outdoor Photographer ' also .

Last year I relived my childhood by investing in two ' Thor ' mags from the 60s and 70s .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:28 pm

A mate of mine from my Gardening days used to subscibe to ' Star Trek ' magazine , a man n his late 40s then now nearer 60 like myself - he must have spent or ' invested ' hundreds of pounds in those magazines .
They're probably have some worth to them now .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby warp on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:48 pm

le ore
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:24 pm

vietnammer wrote:Only one regularly through the 90's was Mojo cos they'd do features on people 'from a certain era' that interested me, and it was pre-internet. Then they ran out of yesteryear and the umpteenth Beatles/ Pink Floyd special got repetitive for me. They would do good cd giveaways of contemporary stuff so this old fart could hear what was currently out there. Good writing as I recall. Bit expensive, mind.

I recently bought the 31st edition of MOJO on Ebay from June 1996 that covered "The 100 greatest guitarists of all time", which included what guitar they played and the best music they made. :tune:

A great magazine back in the day.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby Clucking Bell on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:53 pm

As a kid The Beano, Victor, Look and Learn and 2000AD.

In fact, I had the first 150 issues of the latter which I cleverly threw out when I was 14 or 15 rather than lovingly wrapping them in cellophane and selling them twenty years later for the price of a small house! Hey ho.

My sister subscribed to Smash Hits and I used to read that ...... generally before she did by exerting big brother privileges.

I subscribed to Cycling Weekly from the age of 13 and to 220 Magazine from the first issue (89 or 90). I only cancelled these when we emigrated. I've also subscribed to The Economist from time to time but, then I cancel the subscription when I have a big pile of unread copies.

Other that I've only ever bought magazines when I've been traveling. A few issues of Viz and Loaded back in the nineties, and the odd copy of Runners World, FHM and The New Scientist when the front cover looked interesting.
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Postby WHU_Del on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:43 pm

No 2000AD for me, it was either Battle Action or Roy Of The Rovers, and then the relaunched Eagle.
Smash Hits and Record Mirror, when it became a mag rather than a newspaper, there was a short-lived competitor to RM called The HiT of which I had all six (!) issues, and I was also reading the UK American Football mags, once winning two tickets to watch the Brighton B52s play the London Ravens.
Then there was Empire, and Classic & Sportscar, and for some mad reason Kit Car (I was never going to be able to buy one or build it!).
When Saturday Comes, 90 Minutes and Four Four Two.
And since then, it's been Railway Modeller and British Railway Modelling.
WHU_Del

Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:33 pm

If you're going back to childhood then Commando comic (which is still going strong now). My aunt had a mate who worked for IPC magazines and used to get loads off her back in the day. Also, Warlord, Battle and Fury. Viz in the late 80s and early 90s
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby DasNutNock on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:47 pm

Viz, since 1988. I haven't missed a single issue, such is the extent of my love for it.
DasNutNock

Postby Tristan Shout on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:04 pm

Razzle readers wives, loved the center spread of your mum 8-)
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"

Postby last.caress on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:31 pm

Clucking Bell wrote:A few issues of Viz

DasNutNock wrote:Viz, since 1988. I haven't missed a single issue, such is the extent of my love for it.

Viz! Of course. Got Viz for a while too, maybe '89-'90 or thereabouts. Briefly picked up a Viz wannabee called Zit as well, but I'd be lying if I said I could remember even one character from it (can't remember all that many from Viz either tbh, beyond the biggest names).
last.caress
Extreme w*nker

Location: Se incontri L'ultima.carezza, prega per la tua morte.

Postby DasNutNock on Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:51 pm

Zit - Psycho Derek and Acid Head Arnie were the only two decent characters.
DasNutNock

Postby Monkey Mike on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:33 pm

My wife got me a Viz subscription for my last birthday, I love it after spending many years just buying it occasionally.

As a kid I used to read Dandy, Beano, Whizzer and Chips, Roy of the Rovers, Match and Shoot.
Monkey Mike

Postby jevs on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:39 pm

Loved warlord as a kid
jevs

Postby webby the iron on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:53 pm

World Soccer Magazine- religiously every month as, prior to the internet, it was my best way of finding out what my favourite ‘foreign’ players were up to. Well written, too.

Still get a copy every other month or so.

Loads of music magazines- used to spend a relative fortune on them and covered my wall with pictures of my favourite bands and musicians.
webby the iron

Postby Marky on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:12 pm

Men’s health good for weight lifting chat
Marky

Postby cambridge hammer on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:20 pm

CAMRAS latest monthiy review for pubs in the Cambs area. It's called "Pints of view" See what they did there?
cambridge hammer

Next

Return to The Snug