What Magazines Did You Read/Are You Reading?

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: What Magazines Did You Read/Are You Reading?

Postby Tenbury on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:46 pm

Used to be Freak Bros,these days just Private Eye.
Tenbury

Postby mushy on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:16 pm

Charles Buchans Football Monthly and Shoot! magazines.
Used to be another one about that time but cant remember what it was called.
Our Dad also rather hopefully used to buy us Look and Learn, I dont think any of us ever read it.
mushy

Postby pablo jaye on Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:36 am

As a lad, I used to get Shoot and Goal. Then for a while, I used to get Viz and now I read Q and When Saturday Comes - this month’s edition has an article on us.

A few weeks ago, I had to take my missus for an eye check-up at Frimley Park hospital and there was a copy of Viz in the piles of magazines, which I picked up and read. Not sure what the other patients thought of the sniggering wreck sat reading what looks like a kids comic!
pablo jaye

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:38 am

I used to buy "When Saturday comes" not sure if its still about?

I still buy "Q" depending on who the headline story is.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby vietnammer on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:11 am

Bought it (WSC) a few times early 90's. It never really took hold with me, but I liked that it had a kind of 'Private Eye' format and attitude, right down the speech bubbles on the cover photos. About '91 it showed a pic of The Mummy saying 'Gascoigne Reports for Training'
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:28 am

I used to love my uncle's (now a 2-star General) collection of Victor, Warlord & Commando. Thematically, a bit repetitive "Sargent Death on the Island of Doom!", but always good to see Germans being machine gunned by heroic Brits.
DasNutNock

Postby Big George on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:33 am

As a a kid I bought "Action" and "Bullet" religiously through the mid late seventies.

"Action" provoked outrage because of its gory conetent and was eventually toned down which killed its popularity.

Among the strips I remember now were "DREDGER" who was essentially a killing machine for British intelligence, Death Game 1999 in which prisoners played a highly violent version of rollerball on motorbikes and they could win their freedom by offing fellow prisoners,"Kids Rule OK" where gangs of teenagers ran Britain as a violent dictatorship and Hook Jaw. HJ was a shark who used to disembowel random innocents using the harpoon spear embedded in its chin.

All good family fun.

More about what the Sun called "The sevenpenny nightmare" https://bigmouthmag.wordpress.com/2016/ ... -real-70s/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I loved it.

Shoot was also a childhood favourite. I couldn't wait to turn to "Focus" where a top pro would answer mindane questions about there life. Ray Stewart's was a classic of the genre http://footballinprint.com/ray-stewart-west-ham-united/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have read Private Eye since I was a teenager and still do.

I have also loved at various points, Smash Hits, NME, WSC, Melody Maker, Arena, GQ, Loaded, FHM, Four Four Two, the Word, the Spectator,

A lack of long train journeys, parenthood, spending limited reading time on novels the web means only Private Eye survives nowdays
Last edited by Big George on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Big George

Postby last.caress on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:22 am

If I'd been three or four years older I'd almost certainly have read Action (in its original 1976 incarnation anyway). Subsequently I've never read Hook Jaw but the collected graphic novel has been on my wish list for a few months now (I first saw the strip mentioned in the documentary Future Shock! The Story of 2000AD).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hook-Jaw-Archive-Pat-Mils/dp/1782768041/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510568237
last.caress
Extreme w*nker

Location: Se incontri L'ultima.carezza, prega per la tua morte.

Postby yonni on Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:28 pm

I did paper rounds 7 days a week from about 12 to 16 years old. I saw so many people get interesting stuff that I used to blow most of my wages on comics and magazines and sweets. Over the years I've regularly bought or subscribed to:
Beano 1970s
Plug (Bash street boys spin off comic) 1970s
Spider man/Hulk comics 1970s
Something I was a secret agent for (Action maybe?). When you subscribed you got a spy kit. Late 1970s
Unexplained magazine (spontaneous human combustion, ESP, Loch Ness Monster nonsense etc.) Early 80s?
Back Street Heroes - when I rode motorbikes 82-86
Melody Maker - sporadically from about 79 and throughout the 80s
NME 89-94 weekly
Practical Photography 2001-2003
Cycling Weekly 2005-2008
National Geographic (Christmas present subscription) 2008-10
I'm sure there were more.
yonni

Postby Big George on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:31 pm

yonni wrote:Something I was a secret agent for (Action maybe?). When you subscribed you got a spy kit. Late 1970s
e.

Fireball in Bullet?
http://markwestwriter.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... comic.html
Big George

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:16 pm

I remember when people used to buy Mixmag. What a pile of w*nk that was.
DasNutNock

Postby fmgod on Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:21 pm

Match for lots of year then on to Four Four Two and then nothing now days once the internet got widely accessible with high speeds
Zoo/Nuts a bit when a teenager erm for the articles
fmgod

Postby yonni on Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:32 pm

Big George wrote:Fireball in Bullet?
http://markwestwriter.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... comic.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's it! I used to love that little plastic wallet. My mates weren't as impressed as me but they didn't get it - I was a secret agent like Fireball!
yonni

Postby Big George on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:01 pm

yonni wrote:
That's it! I used to love that little plastic wallet. My mates weren't as impressed as me but they didn't get it - I was a secret agent like Fireball!

Basically, same.
Big George

Postby CMNinja on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:43 pm

I won't list the comics I used to get as there were too many but Deadline was a good magazine about comics that I used to read.

Don't read many magazines now but over the years I've had subscriptions to Loaded, Four Four Two, National Geographic (I intend to get that again as it's always great), Private Eye, Hot Dog (which was a brilliant film magazine), Empire, and Fortean Times. Ones I didn't have subscriptions to but picked up were Grand Royal (for its brief run), Guns and Ammo (for no good reason - it was just mental) and, as a kid, White Dwarf.
CMNinja

Postby yonni on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:54 pm

Sussex Armourey catalogue. Not a magazine but knife and gun catalogue you could order and then send off postal orders and buy air rifles, throwing knives, cross bows, etc. We used to buy Bowie knives every summer as kids, 9/10 years old. Amazed no one ever got seriously hurt.
yonni

Postby jastons on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:58 pm

When I was a kid my Dad got me a subscription to Match and Shoot! magazines. I also had subscriptions for Budgie the little helicopter, Beano, Judge Dread and then when I was much older I would buy Motorcycle News every week.
jastons

Postby TootingRob on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:12 pm

Beano, Roy of the Rovers, shoot and 90 minutes then another one by the 90 minutes team but can't remember it's name (turned glossy?) then four four two and world soccer. Nowadays it's history revealed and all about history.
My all time favourites are Roy of the Rovers and 90 minutes never missed either one. Dabbled with empire for a bit but reviewers tend to be an anal lot.
TootingRob

Postby Hammers Dad on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:36 pm

Never really bought magazines.

When I was a kid, my dad used to come home every Saturday with a bag full of comics, Beano, Dandy etc.
Later on, when I was 16 I was working for a publisher which printed Kerrang! amongst others, so used to take a copy of every issue as it came out.
Hammers Dad

Postby Rocketron on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:01 pm

As a child, The Beano, then Look And Learn.
As a teenager, New Musical Express.
As a young adult, Punch and Private Eye.
I can't remember the last time I bought anything else.
Rocketron

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug