Prostate Cancer and Men's Health Issues

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Prostate Cancer and Men's Health Issues

Postby Rowly on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:39 pm

Hope it's ok posting this up, been dithering about doing so for a few weeks now, but after having a meeting with the Oncologist on Friday I think it is worthwhile.

I'm 53. A couple of months ago I got diagnosed with early stage T2c prostate cancer. I show no symptoms whatsoever.
Last November BBC Breakfast ran, "A Light On Cancer" for a week which just so happened to coincide with a guy who does subcontract work for us on occasion being diagnosed with N1 stage cancer, so I decided to go along to my GP and ask for a PSA test, the results coming back as "marginally high for a man of my age".
He referred me to a consultant Urologist and over the past year we've been keeping an eye on things with further PSA tests and an MRI scan.... all showing nothing conclusive but still on the slightly high side. In early Oct this year I had a biopsy which came back with the diagnosis. Luckily it's been found and a very early stage and it is treatable - I'm currently on what they call "Active Surveillance" which will involve regular PSA tests (every 3 months) 6monthy MRI scans and an annual biopsy (depending on what the PSA tests show). I'm told it could be a few years before surgery or other treatment becomes necessary.

I'm only really posting this to urge all you fellow KUMBERS of a similar age to get yourselves checked out! PLEASE!

If anyone else is or has gone though this and feels they can share their experiences I would be interested to hear them... Look after yourselves chaps!
Last edited by Rowly on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rowly

Re: Prostate Cancer and Men's Health Issues

Postby Shy Ted on Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:50 pm

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in march 2006, which was monitored for just over a year having PSA blood test every three months.
In June 2007 my PSA result showed that it had elevated. Then the MRI scan showed it was enlarged, so I was called in to see consultant Mr Pope at Hillingdon Hospital Uxbridge, to discuss options.
of:
Brachytherapy (which involves having small radioactive seeds placed inside the prostate gland),
or Radical Prostatectomy (which involves the surgeon removes the entire prostate gland plus some of the tissue around it, including the seminal glands). Seminal Vesicles glands produces semen. Having a Prostatectomy will leave the seminal glands intact so a man can still produce semen, sadly mine had gone past that stage.

I chose to have Brachytherapy.

So I was called into Mount Vernon Hospital Rickmansworth for the Operation.
Only to find out after I had been knock out, that the op could not be carried out because my prostate gland had enlarged so much that it was pushing onto my pelvic bone, and the danger was that I might not be able to walk again.

So I went back to see Mr Pope at Hillingdon Hospital Uxbridge. I asked him how long I would have if I had nothing done he replied 10 years max, so we discussed a date for a Radical Prostatectomy.
Mr Pope asked me when I would like it done I said "tomorrow" being a Friday. Mr Pope said I will do it on the Monday coming.

I was admitted to Northwick Park Hospital Harrow for the operation on Sunday, and had the op on Monday which was a total sucess.

Mr Pope also explained that more men die with Prostate Cancer than from it, that being said I advise all men over fifty to have a PSA test atleast once a year. Its only a bood test.

All that was over ten yaers ago, and I am fit and well and retired.
Thank you Mr Pope.
Shy Ted

Postby vietnammer on Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:03 pm

How do you get yourself checked out on the NHS? I'm nearly 60 and have thought for some time that I'd like to be, but it seems you can't get regular screening until you're much older. I haven't made a request, just talked to people. Glad the folks above got it in time :thup:

It was recognised as the biggest single killer of middle aged US males decades ago.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby Rowly on Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:34 pm

vietnammer wrote:How do you get yourself checked out on the NHS? I'm nearly 60 and have thought for some time that I'd like to be, but it seems you can't get regular screening until you're much older. I haven't made a request, just talked to people. Glad the folks above got it in time :thup:

It was recognised as the biggest single killer of middle aged US males decades ago.

You should have had a Wellman check up when you were 50. PSA would have been checked then and then it's done 5 yearly after that (I think.) However you can just contact your GP and request the test at any time after 50 and they should be happy to do so.
Rowly

Postby vietnammer on Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:58 pm

Ta for that. Been out of the country a lot since 50
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby peter49uk on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:22 pm

Well done Rowly for putting this up, my problem was an enlarged prostrate that lead me to having to have a TURP operation to allow me to pass urine again. What I would say is don’t be fobbed off, if you think something is wrong, request to be checked out. An enlarged prostrate can be picked up through an MRI scan also from a ultra sound test.
I have a blood test every year due to a kidney problem and I ask if my PSA was checked if not I request it.

The other thing I strongly urge you to have checked it your blood pressure. Mine caused me big problems so I have that checked also, but I also have my own machine the one that goes round the top of your arm I was told the cuff ones are not so good. I even took mine to the doctors to check it against their one, it turned out to be the same make as my doctors and with much the same recordings. From Argos for less than fifty quid.
This life isn’t a rehearsal, take care.
peter49uk

Postby hammerdivone on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:38 pm

Rowly wrote:You should have had a Wellman check up when you were 50. PSA would have been checked then and then it's done 5 yearly after that (I think.) However you can just contact your GP and request the test at any time after 50 and they should be happy to do so.

Most health authorities don't provide the Well Man check as a rule.

However you are right you can request it from your GP. There is a reluctance from some GP's to do the blood test as it can result in false negatives and/or false positives but they will talk you through the process, and ultimately it is up to you to decide if you want it or not. If you want to go ahead, don't let you GP try and talk you out of it or into postponing it.
hammerdivone

Postby Rowly on Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:05 pm

hammerdivone wrote:
Most health authorities don't provide the Well Man check as a rule.

Seriously? :o I was called in for the once over within a month of my 50th by my GP... I must be lucky...

hammerdivone wrote:However you are right you can request it from your GP. There is a reluctance from some GP's to do the blood test as it can result in false negatives and/or false positives but they will talk you through the process, and ultimately it is up to you to decide if you want it or not. If you want to go ahead, don't let you GP try and talk you out of it or into postponing it.
Rowly

Postby hammerdivone on Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:21 pm

Rowly wrote:Seriously? :o I was called in for the once over within a month of my 50th by my GP... I must be lucky...

https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2378.aspx?CategoryID=61
hammerdivone

Postby bongo on Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:11 am

At present I have not had a 100% diagnosis of prostate cancer.

I had a hernia operation in August and could not pee afterwards and as a result I was referred to a urologist who arranged a flow test again privately as after examination he said I had a enlarged prostate but that it felt benign,

At the test he decided I should have a MRI and PSA (again privately). The PSA was 3.58 and he said there was growth on the prostate that depending on the biopsy would require radio therapy or the removal of the prostate at no point in the ten minute appointment did he tell me the size of the growth.

I left the appointment in bits and as my health insurance was a the max I went to my GP. I also spoke to a trained nurse on the Prostate Cancer Charity Help Line who gave me far more information than the consultant. The consultant who did my hernia also told me at a follow up that the growth was very small again more than the original consultant had done.

My GP did a further PSA which came out at 3.47 which he advised me was within range for my age and he referred me to an NHS consultant.

At the appointment I expressed some misgivings about the biopsy due to the problems I had with the hernia and the consultant agreed that he would see me in three months and I would have a further PSA prior to the appointment which is in January. The consultant also stated in his follow up letter that he was unsure why the MRI had been undertaken as my PSA was within range for my age.

I am really grateful you posted on this Rowly because I have felt anxious ever since the original appointment and think I will have the biopsy in January as I need to know.
bongo

Postby Rowly on Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:28 pm

Sounds like your original urologist sounds like a bit of a dick Bongo.

In my case my PSA has gone from 3.45 last Nov to 4.54 in May to 5.15 at the end of Aug. Obviously something going on so I elected to have the biopsy for my own piece of mind. Best know for sure I reckon. My urologist has been brilliant throughout I'm pleased to say. He says that a PSA of 10 is the stage when either the Radical Prostatectomy or Radiation / Brachytherapy becomes necessary, tho the oncologist says the rate of rise of PSA count is also key. Luckily I have private medical insurance through my work and I have to say AXA PPP have been fantastic so far.... tho will interested to see what happens to my renewal premium when it comes round next March!

Good luck Bongo... glad to have been of some help to you.... this was exactly why I posted in the first place.
Rowly

Postby ironworkersgrandson on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:54 pm

i do a lot of rasing awareness for mens cancer for a charitu called Orchid. have a google lots on info on there site and u can go see one of there nurses or call them. good luck all
ironworkersgrandson

Postby AlfieG on Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:03 pm

Well done for reminding people about this Rowley.

It reminded me of this campaign from back in 2013. With our Ray and scenes shot in Repton BC.

https://vimeo.com/68152678

Every man over fifty should have a blood test and their PSA tested. Catch it early...

Good luck all. :thup:
AlfieG

Postby mushy on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:00 pm

bongo wrote:I had a hernia operation in August and could not pee afterwards

Could you pee ok before the operation?
You do know that the anaesthetic can stop you peeing (temporarily)?
mushy

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:39 am

I never knew you could ask for these tests so thank you , Rowly .

Last time I had the old finger up the bum hole I was told it was enlarged but ' smooth ' - I got quite nervous and embarrassed about it all and said to the Lady Doctor [ a friend of ours ] ' that's quite nice actually ' :)
The Old Man of Storr

Postby bongo on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:22 am

Yep Mushy was aware of the side effects but it went into the next day thus the need for the referral and I was paying!

Yep Rowly my urologist was a bit of a dick! Thanks for the info re the PSA levels before treatment again more than the original urologist told me!
bongo

Postby davids cross on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:28 am

Great thread.... :thup:

I recently had a good check up with the doctor.

Doc comments to me - "You'll be pleased to know that you are extremely fit for a woman of your age Mrs Cross".

davids cross

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:58 pm

Ive just turned 40 recently and apparently i'm now entitled to a free health check. Will be booking this today. I'd imagine a quick prostate test will be done?
Cockneyboy311

Postby Rowly on Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:08 pm

Cockneyboy311 wrote:Ive just turned 40 recently and apparently i'm now entitled to a free health check. Will be booking this today. I'd imagine a quick prostate test will be done?

I wouldn't count on it unless you have some family history of prostate cancer. I think 40 is a bit young for a routine PSA test, I think 50 is the start point. No harm in asking tho.
Rowly

Postby mushy on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:00 pm

I think if its a company type medical then they have a poke around there anyway, no matter what age you are.
Thats the normal rule of thumb anyway.
mushy

Next

Return to The Snug