Prostate Cancer and Men's Health Issues

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Prostate Cancer and Men's Health Issues

Postby Hampshire Hammer on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:36 pm

My old company paid for all men over 40 to have a PSA test a few years ago. The firm they used then wrote me a very scary letter about my "extremely high" PSA count, with all sorts of stats about low survival rates and recommending that I book in with them immediately for treatment - private naturally. So I went to see my GP, whom informed me that PSA counts go up and down due to various factors so he recommended having two or three tests and seeing what the results were - plus the "extremely high" reading was actually high within the normal range for a man my age. As the next three tests were lower we didn't worry. Then a couple of years ago I had a couple of high readings so was sent to see an Urologist and have a biopsy - not the most enjoyable experience but fairly quick and easy. The Urologist explained that a high percentage of men die with prostate cancer but not of it, and have experienced no real side effects.

My father in law has had prostate cancer for 18 years, with high PSA readings. He is 86 and there is little doubt that something else will get him way before the cancer does.
Hampshire Hammer

Postby cockney farmer on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:02 am

Big thanks to Rowly , after being in denial for a few months in the face of changes "down there" this thread prompted me to get things checked out , my PSA was 0.6 which is very Low my prostrate was slightly enlarged but normal for a bloke my age , the fact I have to get up during night and piss normal for my age as well , very reassuring and worth the 15 mins all the tests take .......finger up the arse was good as well
cockney farmer

Postby Rowly on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:45 pm

:thup: Glad to read you got the all clear CF. I'm currently awaiting the result of my latest blood test taken on Tuesday 12th.
Rowly

Postby Monkeybubbles on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:53 pm

mushy wrote:I think if its a company type medical then they have a poke around there anyway, no matter what age you are.
Thats the normal rule of thumb anyway.

Thumb?

:shock:
Monkeybubbles

Postby Monkeybubbles on Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:01 pm

My sisters hubby had some back pain about a year ago. Trapped nerve in the lower spine. Went for x rays, and they noticed some shading where there shouldn't be shading, turned out to be PC.

He had the radio rod treatment with partial success, but it's passed to his lymph system now. All in all, not looking that clever for him. Just had his second dose of chemo, starting to grind on him a bit.

Lovely lovely man, 63, fit as a fiddle, never smoked, multi millionaire. Just goes to show. Get it checked boys.
Monkeybubbles

Postby Rowly on Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:08 pm

Just got the scores on the doors from my latest PSA test.... dropped slightly to 4.8 from 5.1... Huzzah! :scarfer:
Rowly

Postby RichieRiv on Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:18 pm

Cockneyboy311 wrote:Ive just turned 40 recently and apparently i'm now entitled to a free health check. Will be booking this today. I'd imagine a quick prostate test will be done?

Had mine last year and there is no prostrate check. That doesn't happy until your 50. They mainly check cholesterol, blood sugar levels, blood pressure etc.

Well worth doing but according to the nurse who I had a follow up with, it's incredibly rare for a man to actually turn up. She was so pleased!
RichieRiv

Postby POP POP POP Robson on Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:50 pm

Little question. Is the finger test absolutely necessary for a test? Someone mentioned to me it's not anymore and they can just do a blood test. That's the main thing that puts most off.

I'm over 50 and have never been offered a well man check up.
POP POP POP Robson

Postby Rowly on Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:24 am

First step is just a simple blood test POP. If that is ok they wont wanna finger your arse! :wink:
Rowly

Postby mushy on Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:26 pm

At my place you get the finger treatment the at the same time as the blood test.
They are not mutually exclusive you know.
mushy

Postby Shy Ted on Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:06 pm

mushy wrote:At my place you get the finger treatment the at the same time as the blood test.
They are not mutually exclusive you know.

Is Mrs Mushy a nurse? :wink:
Shy Ted

Postby devonshire flu on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:22 am

I know this goes against what the posters so far think, but here goes.

You should never get a PSA test done, even if offered by a GP or a well-man clinic.

If you biopsy older men who are dead, most of them have either prostate cancer or would have had a high PSA reading. But they didn't die of prostate cancer.

So, for every life that is saved by having the test done, 5 to 10 men are treated for something that wasn't going to kill them, and the treatment is a combination of surgery, radiotherapy and chemotherapy that will **** you up.

Breast cancer screening isn't as bad, but is still bad: for every life saved, the NHS treats 3 women who had nothing major wrong with them:

"To simplify the figures as much as possible, this means that for every breast cancer death prevented through screening, about 3 women will have treatment for a cancer that would not have caused them problems."

Quote taken from
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/breast-cancer/screening/screening-2012-review
devonshire flu

Postby RichieRiv on Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:37 am

^^^^^^

What you have written there (I refuse to quote it) it both misleading and ****ing irresponsible. You have selected and quote paragraphs that suit your opinion.

If you read the entire piece the review was made in 2012 with data from 2009/10, so nearly 8 years ago. The panel (for which the article provide commentary) also states there is no hard evidence to support over diagnoses and is based upon assumption. The piece also deals exclusively with breast cancer screening, which Cancer Research UK concludes, women over the age of 47 should continue to be screened.

It's tough enough to get blokes to see their GP anyway, without the likes of you peddling this tripe.
RichieRiv

Postby Hampshire Hammer on Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:34 pm

Well said Ritchie.

As my GP said to me, PSA readings go up and down naturally and many men die with prostate cancer, but not from it, but you should have the test anyway. The opinion of my GP and consultant was they quickly filter out false readings, which are a low percentage, and can identify those men that just need monitoring but early test and diagnosis is essential to identify those that need surgery and other treatment. The earlier you are identified and treated the better your chances of success.
Hampshire Hammer

Postby brownout on Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:35 pm

I’ve had two BUPA health checks in the last 7 years. Both times I was offered the finger test and psa. The second time the doctor said think carefully about the psa as a high result doesn’t necessarily mean cancer and the further investigations can be unpleasant. I had the psa test but also the finger. She said a lot of men decline it ‘for obvious reasons’ but it was reassuring to hear that my prostrate was nice and small. I also did a home psa test kit a while ago.

My grandfather died from prostate cancer which spread, as did someone I knew from work – and he told everyone to have the finger test. I’d rather have a quick test to catch possible cancer early (a friend of mine ignored what turned out to be skin cancer for a year, by the time he went to the doctor it had spread to lymph glands and now he has a few months to live).

I’m 57 and I’ve never been offered any sort of health check by my GP.
brownout

Postby Rowly on Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:20 pm

Yep totally agree with Ritchie & brownout. I'd much rather be in my position of knowing it's there, and keeping a close eye on it, rather than be oblivious and have it growing away inside undetected and possibly spreading to other areas. When the time comes I'll have the surgery but that could well be a few years away yet. Detect it early and be in control of it, rather than find it too late and have it be in control of you.
Rowly

Postby AlfieG on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:44 am

Gents, please do not ignore the simple things that can help identify this cancer.

Ignorance does not help...... Active surveillance does though. From pcf.org

During active surveillance, prostate cancer is carefully monitored for signs of progression. A PSA blood test and digital rectal exam (DRE) are usually administered once or twice a year along with a repeat biopsy of the prostate usually every 1-3 years. If there is evidence that the cancer is progressing treatment might be warranted.

It is important to note that 50-66% of men during the 10 years after their diagnosis stay on active surveillance and don’t warrant treatment.

https://www.pcf.org/c/active-surveillance/
AlfieG

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:11 pm

Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby AlfieG on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:01 am

I know its Friday and we should all be happy as its the end of the week for most but im not apologising for bumping this thread....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42890405

Catch it early..... :thup:
AlfieG

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:22 am

Heard on the news today that prostate cancer now kills more than breast cancer every year. This was being heralded as good news in the fight against breast cancer.
DasNutNock

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug