SUV suggestions

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

SUV suggestions

Postby wizzo_66 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:53 pm

Looking at buying an SUV, owned numerous Kias and ever one has been outstanding - our most recent being the ceed gt which is an absolute pleasure to drive - so the Sportage is an obvious front runner.

Any KUMBers got recommendations so I can have a compare?

I think the Alfa Stelvio is stunning but you're paying quite the premium for it.

Cheers!
wizzo_66

Re: SUV suggestions

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:57 pm

Volvo XC60
a cracking car
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Mr_incredible on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:09 pm

not sure where suv ends and family 4x4 begins, but the bmw x5 is a monster. powerful to drive and luxurious inside. Cost is the only slight negative. Bigger question is probably Diesel or not?
Mr_incredible

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:15 pm

For real offroading or just because you fancy one?

Lexus Rx400h or 450h hybrid for the latter.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Location: Hit the fairway, hit the green, sink the putt. How hard can it be?

Postby wizzo_66 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:30 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Volvo XC60
a cracking car

On the shortlist :thup:

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:For real offroading or just because you fancy one?

Lexus Rx400h or 450h hybrid for the latter.

I'll take a look at those - just because we fancy something more comfortable with a higher driving position for longer journeys.

Mr_incredible wrote:not sure where suv ends and family 4x4 begins, but the bmw x5 is a monster. powerful to drive and luxurious inside. Cost is the only slight negative. Bigger question is probably Diesel or not?

SUV/4x4 whatever you want to call them really. BMW isn't my cuppa. Performance never questioned but for the price I always think the interior is naff and the parts are so expensive.
wizzo_66

Postby Tristan Shout on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:40 pm

Skoda, kodiak if you want a big one or a karok if you want a slightly smaller one, I've been looking at them for a while but still trying to convince myself I can justify the cost
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:46 pm

5 year old Disco or Audi.
DasNutNock

Postby Patito on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:54 pm

Sticking with Kia the Niro is a very decent motor as well.
Patito

Postby jevs on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:10 pm

Heard nothing but good about the sportage or even the sorento.

I'm going to be looking at a Qashqai....1.5 diesel acenta premium 2014/15. Cheap insurance, zero road tax, lots of toys, good MPG

For example.... https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 1.6&page=2
jevs

Postby view from the shires on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:16 pm

Kia are the second best car manufacturer in Korea. The top rated car manufacturer from that country makes cars as a sideline..........................just sayin'
view from the shires

Postby wizzo_66 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:25 pm

view from the shires wrote:Kia are the second best car manufacturer in Korea. The top rated car manufacturer from that country makes cars as a sideline..........................just sayin'

I had a Mk4 golf gti for 7 years - a german import. Ever so special. One of the best cars VW ever made.

For quality, economy, reliability...and in the ceed gt's case performance - our Kias have wiped the floor with it.

I was a badge snob when I was 18 - can't be bothered now. I want the best car for my money.
wizzo_66

Postby wizzo_66 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:30 pm

jevs wrote:Heard nothing but good about the sportage or even the sorento.

I'm going to be looking at a Qashqai....1.5 diesel acenta premium 2014/15. Cheap insurance, zero road tax, lots of toys, good MPG

For example.... https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 1.6&page=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's smart actually. Our Kia garage does Nissans as well so I can have a chat with them.
wizzo_66

Postby jevs on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:35 pm

wizzo_66 wrote:
That's smart actually. Our Kia garage does Nissans as well so I can have a chat with them.

Just had a good chat with my future son in law who is an executive sales advisor and guru for BMW and he said the Qashqai is a bloody good motor. Always keep an open mind though, i've looked at Kias, Rav4 and Hyundi as well as the Beamer X3. Qashquai has come out on top in all boxes.
jevs

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:39 pm

Dacia Duster, if you don't mind the low-spec interior. AFAIK its effectively a rebadged Renault/Nissan - every 3rd car in France you see is a Duster.
DasNutNock

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:03 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Volvo XC60
a cracking car

I've got the XC70 and can confirm they are great motors. I think they've been discontinued now and you have a choice of the XC60 or XC90. The XC90 is massive. Lovely motors though and I can see why Volvo drivers stick with the same make.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Burningaham on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:54 pm

I’ve got an outlander phev. It’s a decent motor.
Burningaham

Postby hammerdivone on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:59 pm

Skoda Kodiak or the SEAT Alteca.

The Alteca is built in Czech Rep I believe (the Audi Q3 is built in Spain) and the quality is very good.

You also won't go wrong with a Quashqui but some people find it too 'popular'.
hammerdivone

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:09 pm

hammerdivone wrote:Skoda Kodiak or the SEAT Alteca.

The Alteca is built in Czech Rep I believe (the Audi Q3 is built in Spain) and the quality is very good.

You also won't go wrong with a Quashqui but some people find it too 'popular'.

Mate has got one on the Mobility Scheme for his disabled daughter and raves about. It's a 2.0L or something and his only gripe is lack of low-end torque (which is understandable given the size of engine to weight ratio) but apparently it's the best car he's driven.

He's a drummer though so is still having problems counting to ten and tying his own shoe laces.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Georgee Paris on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:04 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Dacia Duster, if you don't mind the low-spec interior. AFAIK its effectively a rebadged Renault/Nissan - every 3rd car in France you see is a Duster.

When my daughter arrived we sold the convertible and got a duster... boot space was about all the swung it over the Nissan quasqui at the time. Now I think it’s a great car. Gutted it’s never snowed properly since we’ve had it but it’s a great car. It really is basic though and quite noisy. If you want a cheap option and live on a farm or might get to go off road at any point that would be my choice. If you have money to spend and want a bit of luxury go for something else. But for something to chuck the pram in and have enough space for a piano too.m the dusters a winner. There’s stories of 1 duster outdoing 5 range rovers evoque things on a off road test thing...wouldn’t surprise me - you can go full speed over pot holes and the thing just makes the holes a bit bigger. I think it’s probably more expensive now than when I got it as well - 2nd hand ones will be worth and he same as Bugattis soon.
Georgee Paris

Postby the pink palermo on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:13 pm

Skoda Kodiaq .

I've got one , cracking car .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Next

Return to The Snug