SUV suggestions

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: SUV suggestions

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:54 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Have to say, I've got 2 kids now (7 years and 5 months) and for the majority of our needs, our 56-plate Golf diesel copes just fine. Could do with a bit more boot space, I suppose, but we can still get a buggy and shopping in just fine. Most of the medium-sized SUVs are based on an equivalent hatchback anyway, so it's not like you suddenly get lots more space because you've raised it off the road several inches. Maybe a slightly deeper boot, but that's about it.

I understand that a SUV offers other advantages - superior driving position (at the cost of inferior driving dynamics), improved ability to handle the UK's shocking road network, and allows driver and passengers to climb into the seat, rather than duck into them. But for the vast majority, a hatchback or estate is surely the better option?

I can get a lot, lot more in the boot of my XC60 than I could in the boot of my Golf TDI

But, in response to the poster earlier about the Ford Fiesta, I agree. It is a sad state of affairs that parents carry so much crap around with them (myself included). It wasn't needed when I was a kid, but just seems to be the way it is nowadays!
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Kev59 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:07 pm

Took the Jag E-Pace out for a demo today. Not impressed. The basic spec' is very basic and the add ons push the price way up. Felt cramped in the cabin. Suspension a bit too stiff. Like an Audi A4 for comparison purposes. One crossed off the list.....
Kev59

Postby PF. on Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:08 pm

I've got the Q5 2.0 S-Line, and its a fantastic car for the family. Safe and comfortable, with a decent kick when on my own.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow

Postby chigwells finest on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:04 am

Kev59 wrote:Took the Jag E-Pace out for a demo today. Not impressed. The basic spec' is very basic and the add ons push the price way up. Felt cramped in the cabin. Suspension a bit too stiff. Like an Audi A4 for comparison purposes. One crossed off the list.....

looked at one before the WBA game on tuesday at westfield. , 1st edition models priced at a staggering £ 50 k

as you say, better options out there
chigwells finest

Postby Toulouse_Iron on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:50 pm

Subaru Forester.
Worth checking out. Seriously.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form

Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on

Postby aboycalleddave on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:39 pm

EvilC wrote:Has anyone owned a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV or got any opinions on it?

Yes.
I bought 2.
One for a manager in work and the other for the missus.
IT IS BLOODY FANTASTIC.
Beautiful to drive. Full of gizmos. Bloody big. Great for tax if its a company car.
Drove it to Italy and back last year..never missed a beat.

downside;
The tank is only 40 litres so not great on long journeys...forever stopping to fill up.
The sat nav is not brilliant.

Without doubt its the best in its range. That's probably why they've sold so many.
Seriously, nothing compares to it.......in the PHEV department that is.
aboycalleddave

Postby szola on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:43 pm

Toulouse_Iron wrote:Subaru Forester.
Worth checking out. Seriously.

:thup:

Is a bl good car!
Same as the Outback.
szola

Postby hammerdivone on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:33 pm

PF. wrote:I've got the Q5 2.0 S-Line, and its a fantastic car for the family. Safe and comfortable, with a decent kick when on my own.

I've got to say I'm pretty happy with mine too. Drinks fuel like a fish does water in Sport mode but apart from that I'm getting around 40mpg now after 20k miles
hammerdivone

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:38 pm

I love the current crop of SUV adverts on TV. Appears they were all designed by the same committee:

1) Mix of urban and extra-urban scenery. Because your VW T-Roc is bound to see you doing a lot of clifftop driving as you head to the coast for another surf weekend party.
2) Hard rock soundtrack. Not *too* hard rock, though. Just hard rock enough for you to appear a bit dangerous and post-cool.
3) Limp-wristed beta white male driver, in the hipster mould. No doubt earning big, with kids in a good school, and a clean social conscience. And married to a woman with bigger testicles than his.
DasNutNock

Postby sendô on Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:28 pm

I'm late into this but for those of you needing more seats or boot space, I've got an S-Max now that I've been pleasantly surprised with. Nice inside and nice to drive, with loads or room. Managed to get to/from the inlaws Xmas day with 3 kids, 2 chairs, a bike, seat for the baby and a boot full of presents. Fairly economical too.
sendô

Previous

Return to The Snug