SUV suggestions

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: SUV suggestions

Postby chigwells finest on Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:20 pm

weve got a Mitsubishi asx 4 auto diesel , very good car , all the suv's mentioned are decent, the kia, Nissan , mazda , kuga is good too
chigwells finest

Postby Whitters on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:09 pm

I have a Discovery Sport. Great car, very comfy, has a versatile 5 to 7 seat configuration as and when needed, and brilliant in the snow (admittedly usually a bigger issue here than in East London).
Whitters

Postby damiant on Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:45 pm

I've got a Ssangyong Korando 2 litre turbo diesel 4WD manual,
paid £21k for it, have got full leather , reverse camera, parking sensers , climate, front and rear heated sets, bluetooth.
Have done 66k miles in my 2.5 year ownership and has never let me down. My mate has a kia sportage and i do think that they are a bit more comfortable. Ssangyong have a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty
damiant

Postby The Sherriff on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:21 pm

Land Rover .... all day long.

We got a limited sports edition free lander 2, 2012 plate.

Blacked out windows, alloys, spolier, side peddles. Looks like a government agency vehicle. Very quick, extremely comfortable and loadsa space .... more than the new versions.

They're dependable, go on for years and hold their value.

If its good enough for the royal family and british army ... its good enough the sheriff and his girls.
The Sherriff

Postby chigwells finest on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:42 pm

The Sherriff wrote:Land Rover .... all day long.

Blacked out windows, alloys, spolier, side peddles. Looks like a government agency vehicle. Very quick, extremely comfortable and loadsa space .... more than the new versions.

If its good enough for the royal family and british army ... its good enough the sheriff and his girls.

until anything out of warranty goes wrong .
chigwells finest

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:43 pm

The Sherriff wrote:Land Rover .... all day long.

A government agency vehicle doing the school run, yes.
DasNutNock

Postby Tenbury on Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:29 pm

Be different..

Mk 1 Landrover (alongside the 2CV,one of the best non-military off road vehicles)

Insurance < £100, free tax, no M.O.T., but put a decent bench seat in the front eg hilux.

If you want more power, you can shoehorn a Toyota diesel into it (takes a bit of work).
Tenbury

Postby CMNinja on Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:12 am

Every Land Rover owner I know loves them ... because they constantly go wrong which means they can spend their weekends chasing down parts and trying to repair them. Owning Land Rovers seems to be a hobby for them all. All have advised me against buying one as I have other things I'd rather do on the weekend.

I had an old Grand Vitara which was the most fun I've ever had driving anything, also bought an Mitsubishi ASX 3 which always felt a bit spongy and underpowered so I think the spec makes a lot of difference there. Don't get a Subaru unless you want people to think you're a lesbian. Have heard good things about the Volvos, the Sportage, the CRV and the Nissan X-Trail.
CMNinja

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:31 am

i HAD A KUGA FOR 3 YEARS AND LOVED IT. Oh dear. Im not angry. Pardon?
Hugh Jargon II

Postby 3times on Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:17 am

There is only one - Range Rover, you know it doesn't make sense but by far the best!!

Failing that Jag F Pace!
3times

Postby EastBrisHammer on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:44 am

You guys must have some serious dough or in debt up to your eye balls. I can't imagine spending anything above 10k for a car and I don't like owning anything too old.
EastBrisHammer

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:55 pm

EastBrisHammer wrote:You guys must have some serious dough or in debt up to your eye balls. I can't imagine spending anything above 10k for a car and I don't like owning anything too old.

You'd be surprised what you can pick up for a decent price. I wouldn't be too worried about the age of a motor if you have a full service history and it's been taken care of. I'd rather a car over 10 years old with full service history that's been looked after than a reasonably new one that's been abused. If you do your research, then you can pick up bargains. Check out ex-mobility or ex-rental cars. They'll be cheap and usually well looked after.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby chigwells finest on Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:57 am

Hugh Jargon II wrote:i HAD A KUGA FOR 3 YEARS AND LOVED IT. Oh dear. Im not angry. Pardon?

we had a kuga for 3 years , swapped for the ASX 4 , both been great , looking at Hyundai tuscon next
chigwells finest

Postby EvilC on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:36 pm

Has anyone owned a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV or got any opinions on it?
EvilC

Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...

Postby Kev59 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:53 pm

I'm in the same boat, looking to trade in a Jag XF for a a new motor and started out looking at the new E-Pace, but then got sidetracked looking at the Audi Q5 - had some great write ups. Going to have to take a look at the Volvo XC now as well (used to have an S60, and was a great comfort cruiser).
Kev59

Postby EastBrisHammer on Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:29 pm

My boss had a Audi Q5 and he had a problem with feedback from the steering wheel. It was in the Audi garage five times and they could never fix it and eventually told him there was nothing wrong. He got shot of it and got a BMW X3. He's been happy with that and had it 5 years (he normally changes car every 2 years). He said he would never buy Audi again because of the way they tried to fob him off.
EastBrisHammer

Postby mushy on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:31 pm

wizzo_66 wrote:I'll take a look at those - just because we fancy something more comfortable with a higher driving position for longer journeys.

Is this the reason for SUV';s then, and are there any others?

Does a higher driving position help, if so how?

I have often wondered why townies and faux country folk go in for SUV's.
mushy

Postby Hampshire Hammer on Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:03 pm

mushy wrote:Is this the reason for SUV';s then, and are there any others?

Does a higher driving position help, if so how?

I have often wondered why townies and faux country folk go in for SUV's.

We live in the country but my fiance wanted one because of the driving position and because she sells stuff at craft markets so wanted the ability to carry loads of stuff. I must admit driving it (Unless I'm behind some huge SUV with blacked out windows) the view is generally better, can see over saloon cars.

Some of the SUVs have really good safety ratings, which is important if you're carrying your kids about.

For lots of people I still reckon it is conspicuous consumption and status symbol first, especially some of the mums with top of the range range rovers in town. But that might be my prejudices coming out. :lol:
Hampshire Hammer

Postby hammerdivone on Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:00 pm

Kev59 wrote:I'm in the same boat, looking to trade in a Jag XF for a a new motor and started out looking at the new E-Pace, but then got sidetracked looking at the Audi Q5 - had some great write ups. Going to have to take a look at the Volvo XC now as well (used to have an S60, and was a great comfort cruiser).

I have a Q5 2.0 Diesel and not had any problems with it other than people running in to me!

Lovely easy to drive motor, auto gearbox is a little sluggish in normal mode but fine in sport.

I would definitely look at the E-Pace but also the F-Pace as well. Not driven and XC so can't comment
hammerdivone

Postby rottiel on Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:38 pm

EvilC wrote:Has anyone owned a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV or got any opinions on it?

My brother has one, absolutely loves it.

A friend has also just got one and also rates it.
rottiel

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug