SUV suggestions

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: SUV suggestions

Postby jastons on Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:11 pm

mushy wrote:I have often wondered why townies and faux country folk go in for SUV's.

My girlfriend wanted an SUV because she was fed up of idiots pulling out in front of her, cutting her up etc. She has seen a huge difference in the attitude of other drivers since she traded in her small hatchback for an SUV.
jastons

Postby chigwells finest on Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:05 am

have a look at the new Volvo xc40 , lovely looking car , just released
chigwells finest

Postby EvilC on Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:35 pm

rottiel wrote:My brother has one, absolutely loves it.

A friend has also just got one and also rates it.

:thup:
EvilC

Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:38 pm

Caught up with a mate that's just bought a 2006 X3, 3.0. Lovely motor, nearly 300bhp. Doubt it's cheap to run or maintain, but was definitely the archetypal "a lot of car for your money" job.
DasNutNock

Postby EvilC on Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:50 pm

jastons wrote:My girlfriend wanted an SUV because she was fed up of idiots pulling out in front of her, cutting her up etc. She has seen a huge difference in the attitude of other drivers since she traded in her small hatchback for an SUV.

This is a large part of it. Every second car where I live is a massive 4x4, driven by a distracted MILF who is on the phone whilst charging around trying to ensure that little Toby and Isla make it to school on time. I'd rather have something smaller, but there is a defensive element to having one yourself instead of our current A-class (which I am still planning to drive until it dies).
EvilC

Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...

Postby mushy on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:31 pm

So you are saying its a safety thing with less chance of an accident because other cars unlikely to cut you up etc?
I havent seen this reflected in any cheaper insurance quotes though.
Is there any data to suggest they are safer to drive, or is this consumer hogwash again?
mushy

Postby Hummer_I_mean_Hammer on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:03 pm

mushy wrote:So you are saying its a safety thing with less chance of an accident because other cars unlikely to cut you up etc?
I havent seen this reflected in any cheaper insurance quotes though.
Is there any data to suggest they are safer to drive, or is this consumer hogwash again?

Surely a fact of physics?

Speed + mass (or similar).
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Postby Vince on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:35 pm

3times wrote:There is only one - Range Rover, you know it doesn't make sense but by far the best!!

Failing that Jag F Pace!

Have had my Range Rover for 11 years. Over 260k on the clock. Runs like a dream still.
Perfect for long hauls.
When the wheels fall off this one I'll be getting another for sure.
I have other cars, but just love this motor.
Vince

Postby Whitters on Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:38 pm

mushy wrote:
I have often wondered why townies and faux country folk go in for SUV's.

Driving in six inches of snow last night my LR Discovery Sport was fantastic, while other cars were struggling, as would my old Jaguar. I can see how it's great too on the school run - easy to get the kids and loads of room for all the associated paraphernalia, and they generally look a lot better than a boxy people carrier.
Whitters

Postby mumbles87 on Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:01 pm

Whitters wrote:
Driving in six inches of snow last night my LR Discovery Sport was fantastic, while other cars were struggling, as would my old Jaguar. I can see how it's great too on the school run - easy to get the kids and loads of room for all the associated paraphernalia, and they generally look a lot better than a boxy people carrier.

higher driving position helps the shorter people in life aswell

stepping into a car rather than down into a car helps people with back or knee problems

now if car parks could just become like costco with a bit of room for everyone
mumbles87

Postby Eggchaser on Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:53 pm

wizzo_66 wrote:I'll take a look at those - just because we fancy something more comfortable with a higher driving position for longer journeys.

mushy wrote:Is this the reason for SUV';s then, and are there any others?

Does a higher driving position help, if so how?

I have often wondered why townies and faux country folk go in for SUV's.

It's the major factor for me. I have lower back problems and even in my relatively small CX-5, the higher seating position reduces the discomfort.

A few weeks ago I traveled up to Cannock on business, I was given a Skoda Superb, nice big comfortable saloon, but by the time I arrived home my back was quite bad. I don't have that issue when I travel similar distances in my CX-5.
Eggchaser

Postby JerseyHammer on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:42 pm

mushy wrote:I have often wondered why townies and faux country folk go in for SUV's.

jastons wrote:My girlfriend wanted an SUV because she was fed up of idiots pulling out in front of her, cutting her up etc. She has seen a huge difference in the attitude of other drivers since she traded in her small hatchback for an SUV.

I can definitely vouch for this. In my old hilux, people try to avoid getting in your way. You take up that much more of the road that no one dares risk it. Trying to find a parking space for the damn thing was a nightmare and it was rear wheel drive in 2wd mode / no front diff so was a total nightmare with the slightest bit of rain.
JerseyHammer

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:21 pm

I was dead against one until I had a kid. Even then I was hoping we would manage with the Golf we had, but a couple of months of trying to force all the necessary and unnecessary ***** into the car changed my mind for me
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Bamber Gascoigne on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:43 pm

Bamber Gascoigne

Postby mushy on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:28 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
I was dead against one until I had a kid. Even then I was hoping we would manage with the Golf we had, but a couple of months of trying to force all the necessary and unnecessary ***** into the car changed my mind for me

How I got by 30 odd years ago with my kids in a Ford Fiesta is beyond me, seemed quite easy and anxiety free back then.
Times must have changed.
mushy

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:33 pm

Have to say, I've got 2 kids now (7 years and 5 months) and for the majority of our needs, our 56-plate Golf diesel copes just fine. Could do with a bit more boot space, I suppose, but we can still get a buggy and shopping in just fine. Most of the medium-sized SUVs are based on an equivalent hatchback anyway, so it's not like you suddenly get lots more space because you've raised it off the road several inches. Maybe a slightly deeper boot, but that's about it.

I understand that a SUV offers other advantages - superior driving position (at the cost of inferior driving dynamics), improved ability to handle the UK's shocking road network, and allows driver and passengers to climb into the seat, rather than duck into them. But for the vast majority, a hatchback or estate is surely the better option?
DasNutNock

Postby mumbles87 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:45 pm

mushy wrote:[
How I got by 30 odd years ago with my kids in a Ford Fiesta is beyond me, seemed quite easy and anxiety free back then.
Times must have changed.

childseats are a massive change since then ... having to have them in a child seat from birth until 12 years (or a certain height whicher comes first)

SUV are perfect for families

the next car we buy will either be a SUV or a Civic (because of the boot)
mumbles87

Postby NH Hammer on Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:09 pm

Don’t buy BMW X3,ours has just passed 75k and it’s in the shop every other week.
Also I will never own another Mitsubishi after the paint started peeling off our Outlander at 45k, known issue that they said was normal wear . The paint was coming off the roof ffs! Looks like aToyota RAV4 or Ford Escape next(sorry don’t know the model names for UK).
NH Hammer

Postby the polecat on Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:30 pm

My missus has a 1.5 diesel Qashqai with all mod cons. It's a lovely car to drive and very economical. Only 2WD though.
the polecat

Postby webby the iron on Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:52 pm

As above- once we started a family went for a Qashqai. Got a second hand one and have been very happy. Lots of extras for the money, economical and reliable. Driven to Germany and back 3 times and has been very smooth and comfortable.

Only thing that has been an issue is that it has short seatbelts in the back and therefore limits some of the car seats you can have.

Would definitely buy another one if/when required.
webby the iron

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug