Having a haircut......

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Having a haircut......

Postby fjthegrey on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:09 pm

It's certainly not a straightforward affair. I have hair, it's very important to me. Some have called me the Samson of my generation.

But deciding when to go, when it's reached that length where the payoff of continued growth sees diminishing returns unless I commit to a full 2-3 months of it looking bad every day.

Then the day itself. Sitting there looking at the technicians working on other peoples, recognising a few of them as having previously provided cuts, knowing they are good or bad and establishing a preference over which one I want. Or the gamble of the unrecognised face, someone who may be more skilled and talented than the others, but who equally may be ****ing useless and about to be sacked. Will they follow my laissez-faire instructions, 'not too short, little bit tidier, choppy and tapered'? Or will the liberal scope I give them cause them angst, panic or perhaps they'll enjoy the freedom?

Always straight home for a shower, you can't walk around covered in hair, it's just wrong. Plus, you can't tell the damage until it's been given a thorough wash. But it always ends up fine, because it's my hair, and my hair is good hair.
fjthegrey

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:22 pm

fjthegrey wrote:it's my hair, and my hair is good hair.

You do have good hair. Just a shame it's offset by your eyes being too close together.
DasNutNock

Postby DrVenk on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:27 pm

Haircuts = the mirror of truth.

I rate myself when getting ready to go out, but the minute I sit there under intense lights 2 feet from a mirror with my hair wet and pulled back, I realise I am a bit of an ugly c*nt actually.

If it wasn't for Sian in Alton and her head massages, lovely chats, and beautiful smile, I think I'd go for a hippy barnet.
DrVenk

Postby Denzil on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:55 pm

I'm bald on top so I 0.5 it once every 5-6 days but really should do it every 3 because I hate anything past a grade 1...just lazy.
Denzil

Postby Crouching Peeky on Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:18 pm

fjthegrey wrote:recognising a few of them as having previously provided cuts, knowing they are good or bad and establishing a preference over which one I want.

I had this sort of thing at my old barbers. The bloke who ran it was excellent and I knew I'd get a good hair cut but he would have a rotation of birds working for him and it was always the gamble of do I want a good haircut from the fella or the head massage and boob/head nudging from the girls? A tough choice!
Crouching Peeky

Postby HalfTimePie on Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:35 pm

Haven't been to a barbers since I was about 12.....25 now. Used to just give myself a no.3 or 4 during secondary school. went down to a no.2 when I left and for the last 2 years I've been shaving my head with a razor once or twice a week. I can grow hair, I just don't think it suits me.
HalfTimePie

Postby PF. on Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:51 pm

Crouching Peeky wrote: A tough choice!

Never a tough choice! Boobs all day long. The gaff next to Monument is decent (not for boobies, unfortunately). :thup:
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow

Postby mushy on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:05 pm

Briggsy wrote: or sit in awkward silence.

My preference by far, certainly beats conversations along the lines of 'so what did you get up to at Christmas?' , or 'you booked a holiday yet this year?'.
Nobody really cares about either so why pretend?
mushy

Postby sendô on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:36 pm

It's an utter chore. I always try and go early, preferably on a day off, so I know it will be empty and my wait will be minimal.

I'll normally end up with the same bloke telling me the same jokes/stories and moaning about the same things.

It also irks me that as I get older and have less and less hair on top, the price goes up rather than down.
sendô

Postby Monkeybubbles on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:29 pm

I'm off for a trim up now.

I go to a small gaff, just the two of them working in there. Jo is half Swedish/half Croatian, and quite amazingly sexy in a very cool heroin-chic, vintage-clothing, needs-a-bit-of-a-shower young Kate Moss kind of way. Toby is funny, charming and intelligent and always conversationally engaging, but he's a bloke.

It says a lot about my vanity that I always opt for Jo simply because she cuts my hair better.
Monkeybubbles

Postby Roby on Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:17 pm

I'm pushing 40 and have an excellent full head of hair but it's rapidly going grey.

Can't be arsed to spend too much on it as it grows really fast anyway so just go to the Kurdish barbers in St Pauls, Bristol near my old office.

£6 and they do a half decent 25 minute hair cut which isn't too rushed. I always give them £7 which is better than a kick in the b*llocks so get them to do an eyebrow trim with the clippers too and put a side parting line in with the cut throat razor.

Conversation is stilted at best, they all look the same so never have any idea who the best barber in there actually is and on a couple of occasions don't smell too great.

But for £7 per month it's fine and the missus has no complaints although last time I didn't explicitly ask them to do a grade two tapered at the back and the twat squared it right off which is a no no. :fsake:
Roby

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:42 am

My Turkish barber set fire to my nasal hair just yesterday. Was taking the piss when he repositioned the fire extinguisher close by. Pardon?
Hugh Jargon II

Postby btajim - mcfc on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:35 am

I’ve struggled to find good barbers for years. There’s a place near me and it’s pot luck who you get as you can’t choose the one you want. Two of the guys are utter crap and won’t give you what you ask for. They also refuse to acknowledge your existence and chat to the other barbers. The other two are fine.

Places on the high street are too expensive.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t

Postby Arnold Layne on Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:22 pm

Went this morning,was pretty painless and now I almost resemble an upstanding citizen.
The Bird is overchuffed too.
Arnold Layne

Postby Rio on Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:35 pm

Grew my hair long in 1993. Got it cut off in 96, starting shaving it completely a year later. Saved a fortune other than buying a new set of hair clippers every couple of years. And also saved a lot of meaningless and dull cut chat. One of life’s small victories in my book. Only hassle I have now is getting my missus to go over the bits of the back of my neck I can’t accurately hit.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Postby warp on Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:42 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Dreads? Seriously?

and i don't even like reggae!

hammerdivone wrote:You weren't the "Buffalo soldier" at the Lusitana away game a few years back were you?

nope, wasn't me, was not at that game.
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby hammerdivone on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:38 pm

warp wrote:nope, wasn't me, was not at that game.

Damn, that was so funny - non-stop singing of Buffalo Soldier to this fella

hammerdivone

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:43 pm

Isn't that the Aboo fella that gets on here now and again? I've seen him at a few away games a few years ago.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Previous

Return to The Snug