Contract Question

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Contract Question

Postby -DL- on Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:56 pm

You have a legal right to TUPE and to remain on your existing T&C's, pay, and most importantly, contracted hours.

The contract you signed and are now on must be honoured by the new owner of the company. They can offer you a new contract, but they cannot force you to sign it or make you reapply for your job.You can also stay on your contract indefinitely.

I knew the grand sum of bugger all regarding TUPE up until a few months ago, but we lost a route to another company, and the new tender starts in a couple of weeks, so I went on a crash course to learn about what it involves so that I could advise drivers exactly what their rights are.

With us, we are not mandatory TUPEing the drivers, which we are entitled to do, but we have given each and every one the option to TUPE - which is what THEY are entitled to do should they wish.

The long and short of it is - the new owners can't touch your contract - and I suspect legally, for the first year, you may also be entitled to a disturbance allowance due to the change of work location.
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby sendô on Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:01 pm

Clacton-ammer wrote:Never really understood the lunch argument, where some people will not take it all, some will, that's a personal choice - I know usually to the individuals benefit to get things done, out the door on the bell etc. It's a personal choice innit.

Personally, I would never use the "I work through some of my lunch" argument.

Why? Most people are contractually allowed a one hour lunch. I very rarely take mine, but it's not personal choice, it's normally because I don't get the time or because someone has scheduled a meeting during the traditional lunch period.
sendô

Postby RichieRiv on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:23 pm

sendô wrote:because I don't get the time or because someone has scheduled a meeting during the traditional lunch period.

The bane of my life. Usually it's my septic colleagues that like to work early mornings that book a 12 or 1pm call, but I also have people in London booking over lunchtime because "it's the only free time in my diary". I vowed in 2018 that I would calve out at least 30 minutes as last year I was getting to 4pm and realising I hadn't eaten at least twice a week. Alas first week back and it's happened twice.

I don't want to have to block book lunch in my diary but it's getting to that stage.
RichieRiv

Postby sendô on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:30 pm

It seems to be a uniquely British thing whereby we seem to take it as given that we should work extra hours (through lunch breaks, get in early, stay late) so as to save/earn money for the company that we personally will not see the direct benefit of.
sendô

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:42 pm

sendô wrote:It seems to be a uniquely British thing whereby we seem to take it as given that we should work extra hours (through lunch breaks, get in early, stay late) so as to save/earn money for the company that we personally will not see the direct benefit of.

They have it far worse in the US.
DasNutNock

Previous

Return to The Snug