Contract Question

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Contract Question

Postby Smonnie on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:03 pm

RichieRiv wrote:I been through a few acquisitions i.e. we've acquired various firms and the one constant is the barrack room lawyer who thinks they know all about it. Ultimately if you are in any doubt as a first step talk to HR and get them to explain what this actually means for you.

Yes HR's role is to protect the company, but crucially legally protect them. No organisation is beyond the law. They may think they are, but courts take a dim view.

I imagine this kind of stuff happens quite a lot in the banking world - I'd listen to RR.
Smonnie

Postby mushy on Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:18 am

Not so sure about HR Rich.
In my experience that talk utter drivel.
You are better off consulting the Ladybird book of HR.
One warning as regards TUPE. Be careful as regards your pension, especially if you are lucky enough to have a final salary pension, I almost guarantee they won't honour it.
mushy

Postby RichieRiv on Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:42 am

Smonnie wrote:I imagine this kind of stuff happens quite a lot in the banking world - I'd listen to RR.

Sure as a recruitment cuntsultant you must see a lot of this too. Then again I imagine your priority is not the employment contract, it's the pound of flesh.

mushy wrote:Not so sure about HR Rich.
In my experience that talk utter drivel.

On a day to day basis I would agree, but on the important pieces like TUPE, performance issues, redundancies, absenteeism etc they've always done everything by the statute book.
RichieRiv

Postby the pink palermo on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:18 am

mushy wrote:One warning as regards TUPE. Be careful as regards your pension, especially if you are lucky enough to have a final salary pension, I almost guarantee they won't honour it.

Yep, it's the stuff not covered by your T&C's that get impacted, the "soft" stuff .

Pensions - the employer asks you to put in more, while they put in less .

Company car - we've just gone green mate, trade down from your 3.0L Quattro to a Nissan whatever

Travel - Premier Inns really aren't that bad, and you'll never tire of the Franky and Bennys menu

Annual COL rise - well, it's not automatic, and times are hard

Training and Development - We want you to stay so we won't train you in any skills another employer may find attractive

Bonus -You get to stay another year .In the broom cupboard , in the basement

Canteen - No, ours isn't subsidised, these microwaves aren't free you know

Coffee machine - Free ? No chance , it's 50p a cup, much cheaper than Starbucks ...
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby Smonnie on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:34 am

Smonnie wrote:I imagine this kind of stuff happens quite a lot in the banking world - I'd listen to RR.

RichieRiv wrote:Sure as a recruitment cuntsultant you must see a lot of this too. Then again I imagine your priority is not the employment contract, it's the pound of flesh.

I work with Interim Managers who are all self-employed by their own Limited Companies, and then engaged by me to provide services to Clients. So it doesn't really come up.

As a side note, you might want to watch your spelling.
Smonnie

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:53 am

Smonnie wrote:As a side note, you might want to watch your spelling.

I doubt that was unintentional.
DasNutNock

Postby Smonnie on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:55 am

DasNutNock wrote:
I doubt that was unintentional.

Oh, I know.
Smonnie

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:58 am

At any rate, I don't have a final salary pen, and it looks like the new place has a better contribution than my current gig (10% vs 5%). Facilities should be at least as good - it's a brand new office, and it's a lot bigger than where I am now, albeit in a less salubrious location.

As for the work itself, time will tell, but at least the initial reports are that the new company are being "fair" with everyone, whatever that means. I just don't want to miss an opportunity (if one exists) to get a salary bump.
DasNutNock

Postby RichieRiv on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:08 am

Smonnie wrote:As a side note, you might want to watch your spelling.

Damn predictive text. Looks like those rascals at Google have a very low opinion of the recruitment industry.

DasNutNock wrote:I just don't want to miss an opportunity (if one exists) to get a salary bump.

Why would the opportunity present itself?
RichieRiv

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:23 am

Because my contract is for 36.25 hours/week and they're likely to ask me to switch to a 40 hour week. Wondered if that might present an opportunity to ask for a similar increase in salary (c. 10%).
DasNutNock

Postby Clacton-ammer on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:30 am

Nothing stops you asking.

I am sure there will be many negotiations going on with individuals behind closed doors, really comes down to how strong / confident you feel in your position, and how much you think the new firm needs your skill set.

By them increasing your hours, you have at least a strong argument for a pay increase.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:07 am

I'll ask, for sure, but I'm personally not convinced I'm in a strong enough position to demand a great deal. Still, they may not actually know that - and recent developments suggest that I might have a bit more leverage than previously.

Still, I'm notoriously sh*t at negotiating this stuff, and almost certainly will bottle it.
DasNutNock

Postby the pink palermo on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:10 am

DasNutNock wrote:Because my contract is for 36.25 hours/week and they're likely to ask me to switch to a 40 hour week. Wondered if that might present an opportunity to ask for a similar increase in salary (c. 10%).

How long does your current job give you as a paid mealbreak , and how long does the new deal give you ?

What I'm asking was your shorter working week achieved by a local agreement / arrangement whereby you worked al deskco , whereas at the new place the culture is off to the canteen .

In other words is your true current week 40 hours but you work through lunch and you go early ?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:32 am

Nope, contract is for 36.25 hours/week - 9am to 5:15pm with an hour for lunch. I rarely take that, of course, but it's nice to be on the road 15 minutes before everyone else. If they want me to switch to 9am-6pm, it won't be the end of the world, but it's still a bit annoying.
DasNutNock

Postby Clacton-ammer on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:54 am

Never really understood the lunch argument, where some people will not take it all, some will, that's a personal choice - I know usually to the individuals benefit to get things done, out the door on the bell etc. It's a personal choice innit.

Personally, I would never use the "I work through some of my lunch" argument.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby Smonnie on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:18 pm

RichieRiv wrote:
Damn predictive text. Looks like those rascals at Google have a very low opinion of the recruitment industry.

Someone really hurt you, didn't they?

If you ever need to talk about it, drop me a PM x
Smonnie

Postby Rocketron on Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:00 pm

RichieRiv wrote:

Smonnie wrote:Someone really hurt you, didn't they?

If you ever need to talk about it, drop me a PM x

Probably you.
I've lost count how many times RR has had to repeat that he doesn't work in a bank/ isn't a banker.
Rocketron

Postby Smonnie on Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:08 pm

Rocketron wrote:Probably you.
I've lost count how many times RR has had to repeat that he doesn't work in a bank/ isn't a banker.

How was I supposed to know that? I've only ever seen people refer to him as a banker.

Notice that I didn't feel the need to call him a banker with a W. It's just immature, and frankly, hurtful.
Smonnie

Postby RichieRiv on Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:30 pm

Smonnie wrote:How was I supposed to know that? I've only ever seen people refer to him as a banker.

From memory, that's only you and as Ron has stated I have lost count how many times I've told you - probably the reason for your first jibe no doubt.

Smonnie wrote:Notice that I didn't feel the need to call him a banker with a W. It's just immature, and frankly, hurtful.

You could have called me a banker, but as we've ascertained, I am not and never have been, so you would - not for the first time wrong. Being a ****er however, yes probably, but I am a bigger ****.
RichieRiv

Postby RichieRiv on Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:33 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Because my contract is for 36.25 hours/week and they're likely to ask me to switch to a 40 hour week. Wondered if that might present an opportunity to ask for a similar increase in salary (c. 10%).

So they can ask and you can can respond with "pay me more money". If they don't play ball or don't give you what you want, then say "no ta I will stick on my contracted hours".

If they do reach an agreement, then they may move you onto new paperwork (they could just inform you via letter and say that all your other T&C's remain the same). If that's the case then make sure you check the contract for fundamental changes - namely; notice period, place of work, non compete with specific organisations.
RichieRiv

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug