who to see for a bad back

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: who to see for a bad back

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:20 pm

hammer etc wrote:My advise if you have not had an MRI (not very pleasant if you are claustrophobic) is to get refered. Amongst other things brought on by age and the work I have done I have a pars defect. My spine has slipped forward at the base and if it gets any worse I will have to have a plate fitted. Generally I don't get too much pain as my back goes in to spasm as my muscules tend to stiffen up my back. So you may have a more serious condition than you think. So while other professions can help I think it is best to get all the information first.

Good luck

I had an MRI on my buggered shoulder a couple years back. Even with an anaesthetic, the pain I felt as they injected the dye into my shoulder was so savage I actually passed out. The MRI itself was no biggie, just a boring 30 minutes or so listening to the din the machine makes.
DasNutNock

Postby ironworkersgrandson on Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:38 pm

thanks all, seeing my chiropractor again tonight will maybe ask for another xray havnt had one in yrs, also booked in for the body alignment clinic in Basildon !
ironworkersgrandson

Postby r99c on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:02 pm

ironworkersgrandson wrote:thanks all, seeing my chiropractor again tonight will maybe ask for another xray havnt had one in yrs, also booked in for the body alignment clinic in Basildon !

Good man - two pro bodybuilders at my gym in Bas advertise their services and all the reviews for it on Facebook are top rated, let me know how it goes
r99c

Postby The Gibbins on Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:28 am

I have suffered from a bulging, herniated disk for some years now. I used to be in excruciating pain and could hardly bend down as far as my knees.

I did a lot of physio which did help loosen me up a bit, tight hamstrings are definitely an issue and i worked on that a lot. So everyday, numerous times a day i would be stretching my hamstrings. I did a lot of yoga, and this has probably been the biggest help for me though admittedly i don't do it as much nowadays. I think my obsession with running was a big factor, being able to move more freely and since becoming a lot more active it has been so much better.

I have bad days still, it will never be perfect. I have been offered an operation previously if i wanted to, but being under 30 i just didn't think it was neccessary if i am able to keep on top of it and manage it day to day instead. I can always come back to that scenario if it gets worse. I have to make sure i don't sleep in too late on weekends, i find the more rest i have the the worse it gets. In the week my back feels better than it does on weekends as i am up early and walking to work.

I also went to the osteopath, and they clicked all areas of my back. This also helped quite a bit, it relieved the tension and made excercise more bearable..

I see in your original post you are already active so its tough really what to suggest. What i mentioned above has helped me but my back is still in no way perfect, everyday i have to be conscious of how i sit, sleep, excercise and stretch etc. Its horrible as its always on your mind and i enjoy playing football, which for me is just a struggle nowadays with sharp turns and complete loss of pace :)

MRI scan is definitely a good way to go just to identify the issue at hand and see where you can go from there. Just make sure you moan a lot to your doctor at how unbearable it is until they refer you.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Previous

Return to The Snug