Lies you've believed

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Lies you've believed

Postby Monkeybubbles on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:18 am

Let's exclude the Dildos, otherwise we'll be here all month.

I went out with a girl when I was about 16, her dad was from Jamaica. He told me that he was a member of Desmond Dekker's band, and met the girls mum when they were over promoting The Israelites. His was the deep voice doing the "ohhhhhh ohhhhhh me ears are alight" backing vocals. He showed me how to play the chords on guitar, and would sing along. Definitely him on the track.

Except it was recorded in '68 and she was born in 65.
Monkeybubbles

Re: Lies you've believed

Postby Tenbury on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:46 am

Now if they were from Alabama........
Tenbury

Postby sicknote on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:02 pm

“Trust me, this isn’t going to hurt!!!”
sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Postby DasNutNock on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:14 pm

That hard work, diligence and education was the path to career success. What a load of f*cking rubbish that turned out to be.
DasNutNock

Postby prophet:marginal on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:46 pm

DasNutNock wrote:That hard work, diligence and education was the path to career success. What a load of f*cking rubbish that turned out to be.

Personally think that it gets you halfway, mind, but the number of people I've met who got an opening because of who they (or their dad) knew means it surely isn't the be-all-and-end-all.
prophet:marginal

Postby Hammer1972 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:03 pm

"Next level"
Hammer1972

Postby WHU_Del on Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:20 pm

For years, my Dad told me that I'd been named after Derek Quinnell, the Welsh rugby union player, because of how well he played when Llanelli beat the All Blacks 9-3.
It was only when I was thirteen, when there were pieces on the news of the ten-year anniversary of the game, that I found out that the game had been played in 1972.
I was born in 1969.
WHU_Del

Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Postby prophet:marginal on Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:25 pm

Hammer1972 wrote:"Next level"

prophet:marginal

Postby sicknote on Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:26 pm

****ing will make you go blind
sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Postby DasNutNock on Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:32 pm

prophet:marginal wrote:Personally think that it gets you halfway, mind, but the number of people I've met who got an opening because of who they (or their dad) knew means it surely isn't the be-all-and-end-all.

Self-confidence, popularity, and self-assurance, no matter how baseless, gets you further than qualifications, scruples and conscientiousness, as far as I can make out. Probably not in every line of work, I guess.
DasNutNock

Postby the celestial insect on Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:07 pm

DasNutNock wrote:
Self-confidence, popularity, and self-assurance, no matter how baseless, gets you further than qualifications, scruples and conscientiousness, as far as I can make out. Probably not in every line of work, I guess.

Agree. That's been my experience. Last job, I always got on with things, acted with integrity, didn't engage in office politics, and assumed that someone would eventually notice that I was the one doing all the work. They only realised it the day after they put me on garden leave. Their resulting chaos wasn't much consolation for my 15 years of service.

As for other lies, 'you're very talented' was a big one. It took me a long time to realise I wasn't and to adjust to life among the plebs.
the celestial insect

Postby sendô on Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:07 pm

Freedom of speech.

Equality.

Intelligence and hard work will lead to career success. More like the ability to take credit for other peoples work and portion out blame for your own fuckups.
sendô

Postby southbrishammer on Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:36 pm

I believed in God until I was 15.
southbrishammer

Postby sendô on Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:27 pm

Father Christmas.
sendô

Postby hammerdivone on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:31 pm

Your Mum telling me she was clear of the clap
hammerdivone

Postby woodgreenspur on Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:17 pm

Flying nuns
When i was about 3 my Nan went on Holiday to America to see her sister.
The whole family decamped to the Airport to see her off.We saw my nan through the check in,then went on the roof/viewing platform waiting for her plane to take off.
There were two nuns up there as well,and my Uncle told me to keep an eye on them as they were flying nuns and i would see them fly off.I lost interest,as kids do and looked away.When i looked back they were gone.my Uncle convinced me they had flown off and i had missed it.For a couple of years after that i still believed some nuns could fly.
woodgreenspur

Postby RichieRiv on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:33 am

I love stories like that.

I remember my uncle telling me Kiwi fruit were poisonous. As a young lad I was very confused to why greengrocers and supermarkets sold something that would kill you.

My old man once told my sister not to lick yoghurt lids as old men sneek around supermarkets wiping bogeys on them. To this day (over 30 years later) she still won't touch a yoghurt.
RichieRiv

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:35 am

my grandad told me that he got shot escaping from a prisoner of war camp in world war II

it wasnt until i had my jabs as a 14 year old that i realised this was the scar he had
psychoscoredthelot

Postby orbital on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:49 am

I've certainly told plenty, best lie I told that has been believed was when I was about 18 and was a vegetarian, I was having a discussion with a friends girlfriend who said if I believed 'Meat is Murder', than how come I was wearing leather shoes, to which I replied 'Kicker boots are only made from the leather of cows that have died of natural causes!' I laughed my ass off when I heard her repeating this fact to her friend's a couple of weeks later.

PS Now a fully fledged carnivore!
orbital

Postby HalfTimePie on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:50 am

When me and my siblings were kids my mum told us that the cheese on Pizza was 'stretchy butter' because she knew we wouldn't eat it if we knew it was cheese. I still think it in my head every time I see Pizza.
HalfTimePie

Next

Return to The Snug