SkyDive - Raising money for Mental Health (SECE Mind)

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

SkyDive - Raising money for Mental Health (SECE Mind)

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:24 pm

Hello all.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/steve-lee-mind

I was going to pop this in the existing Mental Health thread but didn't think it felt right to do so. Instead, I'm taking Venk's advice and starting a new thread instead.

I won't ramble on too much about it, as there's information on the page, but the Depression and Mental Health thread as nudged me into doing this.

On 28th July I've agreed to launch myself out of a plane for the South East and Central Essex subsidiary of Mind.
SECE Mind

I know raising money can be quite a touchy thing, it sometimes feels like you're coming across as if you expect others to donate, but that's obviously not the case.
Another thing is that I fully appreciate it's going to be an exciting experience for myself (and terrifying) but I'd agreed to this for the primary purpose of raising money for the great work they do and to raise awareness for the cause. That I get to enjoy the day is obviously an acknowledged added bonus.

If by doing this, it helps just one person, then it's all worth it.

Anything you guys are happy to donate, will be very, very appreciated.
I'll maybe just bump this again a couple of times between now and the event just in case some may have missed it.

Thanks all :thup:
rare as rockinghorse shat

Location: Sponsor my SkyDive for Mind - mental health - http://bit.ly/rars-skydive

Re: SkyDive - Raising money for Mental Health (SECE Mind)

Postby Mega Ron on Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:31 pm

Good on you mate.
Mega Ron

Postby debaser_74 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:46 pm

Are you doing a solo or tandem Rars? It's a great buzz!
debaser_74

Postby somerset-hammer on Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:02 pm

Done.

All the best mate, a great cause.

:thup:
somerset-hammer

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:22 pm

I cannot always tell who is who, that is donating, unless I know them personally so don't always know who to thank on here, but thank you so far :)

Yeah, in tandem. I may be able to buy a selfie recording from the pro I'm with which I'll be able to upload to YouTube for much amusement!

Location: Sponsor my SkyDive for Mind - mental health - http://bit.ly/rars-skydive

Postby Phil S on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:04 pm

I'll do it closer to the time mate

Kinda wanna do it myself even though I'm petrified of heights
Phil S

Postby DrVenk on Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:39 pm

Will keep bumping this until target is reached.

Top man Rars :thup:
DrVenk

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:15 pm

Pinky, Venk, thanks very much fellas :thup:

Postby DrVenk on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:13 pm

Bump
DrVenk

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:47 pm

Thanks DC, appreciate it.

DrVenk wrote:Bump
:thup:

Postby DrVenk on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:24 pm

I am not sure any nation on the planet is prepared for the projected rise in dementia. My father's case is a small insight of more prevalent public health issues to come.

He was a Type 1 diabetic. He was also diagnosed with cancer of the bladder and had his bladder removed. Even putting aside the mental health issues associated with living with a colostomy bag, Type 1 diabetics are more prone to mini-strokes especially if they begin to suffer renal failure, which my father did. He soon developed vascular dementia.

If that wasn't enough anguish to deal with, he was also a life long Hammer, Stratford born and bred.

He spent the last year of his life trying to kill himself. My mother would have to wrestle the insulin injection from him pretty much once a week. He begged her to let him do it, to end the pain, to end the torture of being nothing but a 'burden'. My mother, being a 'don't mind me' East London girl, never told me. She lived with that burden for years as well as continual guilt - she thought by not letting him kill himself, she was in fact torturing him.

So who cares for the carer? Well, loved ones, obviously. But there were a gruesome set of circumstances my mother was not comfortable sharing with loved ones - the midnight wanderings of my father (sometimes into the middle of the road); the increasing bed sores and ****ting of the bed she had to deal with eventually on a daily basis; the violence - he hit her several times; the profanities; and the ever increasing sense that the person you loved and married is slowly disappearing right before your very eyes. My mother didn't want to tell myself and my sister all about this. But she felt she could do so with fellow carers.

I write this because Mind are without a doubt the closest charity to my heart. The support they offered my mother was fantastic, not just in terms of direct advice, but also in terms of the support groups they arranged where carers in similar situations can meet up. She got lucky - her local branch had good resources and had put together a great team. She still says to this day that she doesn't know what she would have done without them. I shudder to think. I really do.

But not everyone is as lucky as my mum. As with most things, there is a bit of a postcode lottery with access to services, and Mind like any other charity are stretched. I'll bump this thread a few more times before RARs' jump in the summer. He's probably a bit coy to do so, but I am so grateful to Mind that I will always do whatever I can to help them.

Thanks for reading chaps if you have got this far. Sorry to be a downer. Just been thinking about the old man this week as 34 years ago this coming weekend, he took me to my first game. We won 3-0. A good omen I hope!

Cheers, Dr Venk
DrVenk

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:49 am

Good Luck , Steve - Brilliant gesture , mate and a very worthy cause , give me a few weeks and I'll donate . :thup:
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Samba on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:52 am

Thanks for sharing your story, DrV. Very moving. Life is sometimes, very unfair.
On a similar subject, although I haven't personally been affected by it, I think it is utterly dispicable that this country's government (I don't know when or what party) decided that they can declare dementia just a consequence of ageing, a social problem & not a medical complaint, in order solely that they can take away people's house's to pay for their care.
The medical profession state that dementia is not a natural consequence of ageing & is clearly a medical condition & yet our government are able & allowed to deny the facts, to suit their social care agenda.
Utter, utter, lying bas***ds.
& well done RARS, a very worthy & important cause.
Samba

Location: Wondering when Karren Brady's going to fuck something else up.

Postby DrVenk on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:58 pm

Samba wrote: think it is utterly dispicable that this country's government (I don't know when or what party) decided that they can declare dementia just a consequence of ageing, a social problem & not a medical complaint,.

I think you're spot on Samba. The onset of dementia is not completely random and just 'one of those things' but something that disproportionately affects those with other health issues. Health services are just not going to be able to cope with rising comorbidity (well, they don't now really). It is so worrying, and government (no matter who is in charge) has and will continue to utterly fail us. Wilful ignorance is at work. Despicable is definitely the most appropriate description.
DrVenk

Postby somerset-hammer on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:36 am

Bump
somerset-hammer

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:30 am

Cheers s-h :thup:

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:31 pm

Kludge :thup:

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:57 pm

somerset-hammer wrote:Bump

The sound RARS will make when he hits the ground?
DasNutNock

Postby Tenbury on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:41 pm

RARS, remind this old git how to donate please. It is a good charity,close to my heart.

[ Dr . V, I can only sympathise , it's a vicious condition,my cousin was only 52 when she got early onset dementia, the results were devastating, not something you can easily forget.]
Tenbury

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:40 am

Hi Ten,

Sure, you go to https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/steve-lee-mind and there will be options to donate - I think you can use a card or Paypal, if you have it.
You shouldn't need to sign up or anything.

You'll be taken through a few steps. Be sure to say it's 'your own money' and add the 'Gift Aid' option, which adds extra money - not from yourself - to the donation.

Really appreciate it :thup:

Next

Return to The Snug