Barbeque season

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Barbeque season

Postby FreeWheeling on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:54 pm

Tenbury wrote:Most good Italian builders merchants sell sectional concrete pizza ovens.They're the dogs.

I might struggle to find one in Salisbury
FreeWheeling

Postby Tenbury on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:24 pm

Fair point.
Tenbury

Postby jastons on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:06 pm

Can anyone recommend a decent blow torch to use in the kitchen?
jastons

Postby DasNutNock on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:08 pm

jastons wrote:Can anyone recommend a decent blow torch to use in the kitchen?

Loads on Amazon - expect to pay about £8.
DasNutNock

Postby jastons on Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:06 pm

jastons

Postby DasNutNock on Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:51 pm

That'd do it. Get some refills when you place your order if you're expecting to use it a fair amount.
DasNutNock

Postby Tenbury on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:52 pm

My toaster ( £12 buy from Lidl,several years ago) is on it's last legs.

Would one of these do the job?
Tenbury

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:18 pm

Tenbury wrote:My toaster ( £12 buy from Lidl,several years ago) is on it's last legs.

Would one of these do the job?

Use the hob.
DasNutNock

Postby Algarve Hammer on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:09 pm

I'm barbequing tonight, chicken piri- piri on the souvla, a Cypriot rotisserie, furkin' handsome. :thup:
Algarve Hammer

Postby jevs on Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:32 am

Dan, what wood do you use in the bottom of your smoker (if any)? I'm just cutting down a large apple tree at home and wondered if I seasoned that, would it any good? Anything else from the garden or does it have to be something like Hickory?

Ta mate.
jevs

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:10 am

All fruit tree woods are usable, I believe. Apple is excellent, so don’t go slinging it out. Will need storing for a while, but should be excellent. Money to be made if you can be bothered to chop it into bags. People will pay £10-20 for 5kg chunks.
DasNutNock

Postby jevs on Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:34 am

Have you had any success with anything else? I was just looking through some of the U.S. based recipes and they were suggesting potatoes, pineapple and even macaroni cheese?
jevs

Postby Tristan Shout on Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:53 am

My bbq is on its last legs so I'll be purchasing a new one this year, outback do a dual fuel one, gas one side and charcoal the other, what are your thoughts on that?
I'm tempted, sounds like a good idea but something nagging in the back of my head that it could be a jack of all trades, but master of neither.
I would like both options, chuck the gas on after work during the week for convenience and a good old charcoal at the weekend when I've got more time but a decent webber gas bbq and a kettle separate is quite an investment if I could get something that would do both?
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"

Postby chigwells finest on Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:31 am

we bought a 6 burner gas bbq from tesco direct last july for £ 150.00 an absolute bargain
chigwells finest

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:41 am

jevs wrote:Have you had any success with anything else? I was just looking through some of the U.S. based recipes and they were suggesting potatoes, pineapple and even macaroni cheese?

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with them, TBH. I guess pineapple and stuff might be nice charred over coals then added to an Old Fashioned, but otherwise, I really only ever bother with meat and occasionally vegetables on the grill, and the smoker only ever sees chicken, beef or pork.

The Yanks do love their macaroni cheese, don't they, ideally out of a packet. The dirty freaks.
DasNutNock

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:45 am

Tristan Shout wrote:My bbq is on its last legs so I'll be purchasing a new one this year, outback do a dual fuel one, gas one side and charcoal the other, what are your thoughts on that?
I'm tempted, sounds like a good idea but something nagging in the back of my head that it could be a jack of all trades, but master of neither.
I would like both options, chuck the gas on after work during the week for convenience and a good old charcoal at the weekend when I've got more time but a decent webber gas bbq and a kettle separate is quite an investment if I could get something that would do both?

I wouldn't bother with that duel-fuel thing. Sounds like a terrible idea, as soon as one side starts to break, both end up in the bin. You'd be better buying them separately, in your own time, if necessary.

Obvs, I'd suggest the kettle first, with a chimney starter so you don't have to arse about for hours getting it lit. You'd be surprised how quick you can get a 57cm kettle ready to cook with one of them - 15-20 minutes or so to preheat a chimney of good lumpwood which then gets dumped onto some more unlit coals in the kettle for another 5 more minutes. Enough time for you to get everything out of the fridge, prepped, and raised to room temperature.
DasNutNock

Postby FreeWheeling on Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:08 am

agree with Dan there, a good chimney and lumpwood you are good to go in less than half hour, more than quick enough as any meat you are cooking needs to get to room temp before going on the grill
FreeWheeling

Postby somerset-hammer on Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:29 am

Friend of mine has just given me some homemade, dexter cow - beef burgers, from cattle he butchered himself, also got a load of steaks and couple of roasting joints, with the weather taking a turn for the better, think I might have to get the BBQ out tonight.

:thup:
somerset-hammer

Postby mixture on Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:17 pm

Going for it on Saturday.

Spend the morning sorting the garden out after winter, get the lawn mown and maybe do some planting. Stick some woodchips down to control the weeds.

In the afternoon I'll clear off the deck and give it a pressure wash and celebrate by giving the Weber its first outing for 2018.

Happy days.
mixture

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:54 pm

Koftas tonight.
Chicken doner kebabs tomorrow.
God only knows what we're having this weekend, but I can tell you one thing for damn sure - we'll be doing it on the BBQ.
DasNutNock

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug