Cheap wool suits

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Cheap wool suits

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:23 pm

In regards to funerals, unless the funeral is desperately sad or tragic in it's nature, then I find that it's starting to ebb towards a celebration of the person's life, rather than an all out mourning, if that makes sense?

I've even seen requests from friends and families to NOT dress in black upon the wishes of the recently deceased.
rare as rockinghorse shat

Location: Sponsor my SkyDive for Mind - mental health - http://bit.ly/rars-skydive

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:24 pm

mushy wrote:Which is a shame in my view.

Agreed. My maternal grandmother died tuesday night, a month shy of her 98th birthday. She was a fantastic human being, and the least I can do is properly show my respects at her service. The flight & parking up to Scollan's dented my wallet, though, so needed to be as thrifty as possible with the whistle (as she'd have wanted, she had no time for money-wasting).
DasNutNock

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:27 pm

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:In regards to funerals, unless the funeral is desperately sad or tragic in it's nature, then I find that it's starting to ebb towards a celebration of the person's life, rather than an all out mourning, if that makes sense?

I've even seen requests from friends and families to NOT dress in black upon the wishes of the recently deceased.

I think my gran would have wanted a celebration of her life - she clearly stated she wanted us all to think of her in the good times. But she was also a brilliant and much-loved person, and it's going to be a sad day for most in attendance.

If it were my choice, I'd insist everyone wears fancy dress of my choosing and gets thoroughly w*nkered.
DasNutNock

Postby Samba on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:30 pm

I would agree with 3times & Hugh Jargon II: Matalan
Decent black suits. Very reasonable prices.
The older we get, the more funerals we go to.
Unless you're thinking of putting on 5 stone in the near future, buying a half decent black suit now, could work out cheapest in the long run. Unless you're planning on dying, yourself. :P
Samba

Postby Rocketron on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:41 pm

It even looks **** in the picture ! :lol:
Rocketron

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:02 pm

Samba wrote:I would agree with 3times & Hugh Jargon II: Matalan
Decent black suits. Very reasonable prices.
The older we get, the more funerals we go to.
Unless you're thinking of putting on 5 stone in the near future, buying a half decent black suit now, could work out cheapest in the long run. Unless you're planning on dying, yourself. :P

Fill your boots ...

https://www.matalan.co.uk/mens/collecti ... wear/suits

I ****ing hate suits.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Arnold Layne on Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:20 pm

Why so thrifty you penny pinching herbert,just get a decent whistle and wear it till it falls off,go skate in it and get your daughter to film you - stick it on the YouTube,you’ll be a sensational millionaire before you know it.
Arnold Layne

Postby Toulouse_Iron on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:00 am

hammerdivone wrote:Are we talking cheap, or Dan cheap?

Get your arse down to M&S at Brooklands, you won't go to far wrong

I concur. I picked up a black suit there last year for my uncle's funeral. A good choice of fabrics (black and Navy) and for each waist and chest size, 3 different lengths so you'll get a good (if not perfect) fit off the peg.
Mine was a cheap one at less than a ton but fits like a glove and looks like I spent double that.
Just down the road from your gaff too.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form

Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on

Postby mushy on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:33 am

Those links to Matalan and Marks are all for cheapskate polyester type suits.
Dan specifically said wool (the clue is in the thread title).
Polyester suits are cheap and will start to go shiny by the time the first vol-au-vent appears.
Stay well clear.
mushy

Postby hammerdivone on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:44 am

hammerdivone

Postby chigwells finest on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:57 am

jeff banks online have a great collection of suits , some in the sale at circa £ 90 . well worth looking at for a cheap option .

freeport is a good place to go for suits, wide variety of stores to suit all tastes and pockets
chigwells finest

Previous

Return to The Snug