Firefighter - Career

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Firefighter - Career

Postby ironstu on Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:21 pm

I've been sick of my office job for a while now, took it 3 years ago to be able to reach the requirements to get my South African now wife over on a spousal visa. I'm 24 years old, have always been an active person and am now making a big decision of what I want to do for the rest of my life (not sitting in office).

I loved the idea of joining the Fire Service but having checked last year, Essex Fire Service hadn't recruited Wholetime Firefighters for 9 years so I thought whilst I lived in Essex that would be the end of that one. Roll on a few months and I've noticed that they are opening recruitment for Wholetime Firefighters on 19th February. I'm going to go for it and apply.

Reason for the thread, any one in here currently or previously been in any Fire Service? Any tips on the recruitment process or just general thoughts on the job itself?
Last edited by ironstu on Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ironstu

Re: Firefighter - Career

Postby warp on Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:34 pm

Pardon?
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby mumbles87 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:37 pm

from firefighters I know its not what it used to be.. pensions not as good.. they want you to work longer and stuff.. but hugh might be better place to ask

if your looking for a different career look out for night tube driver...... 2 days a week work.. well 2 nights.. 24k a year.. after 2 years you can transfer into a full driver position ...
mumbles87

Postby Samba on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:56 pm

Never been one.
Gotta have good, unaided vision. (Glasses steam up, get knocked off. Contacts melt onto your eyeballs).
No fear of heights. Willing to give the kiss of life.
Obvs job comes with an inherent risk of injury or death.
Def not a 9 til 5.
Not trying to put you off! Always used to fancy it myself.
If you fancy it, go for it! Let us know how you get on.

True from mumbles. Conditions really changed in recent years but if you're going into it new, who cares?
Tube drivers: Until they bring in driverless. v good pay & hours not too bad though you may end up feeling like a mole!
Samba

Postby mumbles87 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:02 pm

Samba wrote:Tube drivers: Until they bring in driverless. v good pay & hours not too bad though you may end up feeling like a mole!

not in my lifetime and im 30!.. will always have someone on the train.. but even still once those 2 years are up transfer to one of the better paid roles on the company.. get into service control and really have a decent work life balance
mumbles87

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:03 pm

DasNutNock

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:01 pm

Hugh Jargon II

Postby JerseyHammer on Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:12 pm

:lol:

On a more serious note, we have to do quite a lot of fire training in order to work on boats. I never really appreciated how ****ing hard it is.

After a few days training, we were sent into a controlled fire in a concreted shell of a building, in a team of 3. After 20 minutes in what felt like an confined inferno (also pretty much pitch black), I had sweated out around 2kg and nearly passed out. Always had respect for firefighters but since doing that, I see them in a whole new light.
JerseyHammer

Postby White Goodman on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:53 am

I wondered what Romford what was doing with his time now he's not on here. Nice to see he found a job writing for Viz
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Location: Currently educating John Higgins on the UK Bribery Act

Postby chigwells finest on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:53 am

im off to look for a copy of *ucktruck 3
chigwells finest

Postby ironstu on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:18 am

Looks like a decent enough job then :lol:
ironstu

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:40 pm

Please be assured that's very dated. I joined at 18 in the mid 80's. It was literally the best job out there for a geezer. It's changed. Still good but much more professional now. Was difficult to get in back then as well. 5000 applicants for every job. No exaggeration. If you lasted a year you mostly did 30. Not for everyone though. Seen some guys go within 3 months. My mate left after his first traumatic incident (just a week out of training school). PTSD is pretty common. I'm not right and have a strange view on mortallity. 50 is a good innings! I try to deal with it I'm approaching my 33rd year...and about to hang up my helmet. Pardon?
Hugh Jargon II

Postby ironstu on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:47 pm

What does your day to day look like Hugh?

Appreciate that no day is likely to ever be the same given the variety in situations you could be called to, but what do you (and the average newly recruited firefighter) do on a day to day basis when not on calls?
ironstu

Postby view from the shires on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:02 pm

I applied in my younger days. As well as heights you should also be tested on your ability to cope with enclosed spaces and lack of vision. None of this was a problem for me, but I couldn't cope with some of the things that a firefighter could see as part of the job.

Quite a few firefighters I knew had second jobs.
view from the shires

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:15 pm

ironstu wrote:What does your day to day look like Hugh?

Appreciate that no day is likely to ever be the same given the variety in situations you could be called to, but what do you (and the average newly recruited firefighter) do on a day to day basis when not on calls?

Training. Analysing and reporting risk on your patch (I.e oil refineries). 1 hour fitness. Community engagements. Health and safety preparedness. All that jazz.
Hugh Jargon II

Postby fmgod on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:01 pm

Let's be honest, you just want the outfit to go on the pull with
fmgod

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:12 pm

fmgod wrote:Let's be honest, you just want the outfit to go on the pull with

And to spend all day lifting weights, eating fry-ups and watching hardcore grumble.
DasNutNock

Postby mumbles87 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:57 am

mumbles87 wrote:from firefighters I know its not what it used to be.. pensions not as good.. they want you to work longer and stuff.. but hugh might be better place to ask

if your looking for a different career look out for night tube driver...... 2 days a week work.. well 2 nights.. 24k a year.. after 2 years you can transfer into a full driver position ...

to anyone who might consider this the latest campaign for this position I have been told goes live 5th march

best of luck
mumbles87

Postby Officer Dibble on Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:26 pm

ironstu wrote:What does your day to day look like Hugh?

Hugh Jargon II wrote:Training. Analysing and reporting risk on your patch (I.e oil refineries). 1 hour fitness. Community engagements. Health and safety preparedness. All that jazz.

Don't forget sleeping
Officer Dibble

Postby ironstu on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:42 pm

Hugh Jargon II wrote:
Training. Analysing and reporting risk on your patch (I.e oil refineries). 1 hour fitness. Community engagements. Health and safety preparedness. All that jazz.

Is the fitness done as a team/lead by an instructor or are you free to use the gym for an hour say?

Must say it's one part of the job that appeals to me, being able to stay active and keep fit as part of my day job!
ironstu

Next

Return to The Snug