Free to use Software/Apps

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Free to use Software/Apps

Postby hammerdivone on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:44 pm

I'm actually after a recommendation but thought we could expand the thread to all software & Apps.

I'm looking for something (other than Powerpoint) that can do Org Charts, nothing overly complicated but something that can be presented.

Now whilst I'm not quite as tight as Dan, I don't particularly want to shell out loads of money unless I have to, so any suggestions much appreciated?
hammerdivone

Re: Free to use Software/Apps

Postby fmgod on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:00 pm

Libre Office
Google Drive and Docs- Free online, cracking stuff
fmgod

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:10 pm

Another vote for Libre Office.

It's basically Microsoft Office without the price tag. It can read and write Office files too.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby somerset-hammer on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:13 pm

Yeah Libre Office gets my vote :thup:
somerset-hammer

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:43 pm

Bear in mind, as soon as you need support on any of the "Free" stuff, you could potentially be waiting a while. Not an issue if it's home stuff you're doing, but for business related software, a support SLA is a necessary evil.

Anyway, Linux stuff is so easy to use now, I don't know why anyone would bother with MS products for home usage. You could easily refresh an old laptop with the latest version of Ubuntu or similar, obtain a free suite of Office products, browsers, torrent clients, video players etc. and do everything you're currently doing with a Windows machine.
DasNutNock

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:44 pm

hammerdivone wrote:I'm actually after a recommendation but thought we could expand the thread to all software & Apps.

I'm looking for something (other than Powerpoint) that can do Org Charts, nothing overly complicated but something that can be presented.

Now whilst I'm not quite as tight as Dan, I don't particularly want to shell out loads of money unless I have to, so any suggestions much appreciated?

Careful. The word you meant was "careful".
DasNutNock

Postby fmgod on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:54 pm

But if you download Linux you'll be using Libre Office anyway
fmgod

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:55 pm

fmgod wrote:But if you download Linux you'll be using Libre Office anyway

Sure, but it also installs on windows
DasNutNock

Postby Clucking Bell on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:55 pm

I've got a Linux machine that runs Libre Office. I've only used its Excel clone and it's very good: the interface is pretty much identical and it does all the basics. The only downside is that it doesn't have all the Excel Add-Ins which are pretty important for me but, I suspect that very few people ever use.

That's generally the problem with open source software. It works well out of the box and someone, somewhere has undoubtedly written an extension that does exactly what you want. However, finding and then installing that extension involves spending a lot of time that you probably don't want to spend.

If your work involves engineering, I highly recommend a Linux package called CAELinux. Works really well and can save you a small fortune in software licences but, there's a fairly steep learning curve.
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:55 pm

If you're looking for a decent free image editor then GIMP (yeah I know) is a great app. Works on Windows and all Unix based OS including Macs. I use it quite a lot and can do almost everything you'd want in an image editing app without the price tag.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby southbrishammer on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:12 am

DasNutNock wrote:Bear in mind, as soon as you need support on any of the "Free" stuff, you could potentially be waiting a while. Not an issue if it's home stuff you're doing, but for business related software, a support SLA is a necessary evil.

Anyway, Linux stuff is so easy to use now, I don't know why anyone would bother with MS products for home usage. You could easily refresh an old laptop with the latest version of Ubuntu or similar, obtain a free suite of Office products, browsers, torrent clients, video players etc. and do everything you're currently doing with a Windows machine.

I use Libre Office and toyed with the idea of downloading Ubuntu, but chickened out as I'm not particularly techy - probably unfounded fear of software not working/files being lost etc. How does it work, setting it up on a machine that is currently on Windows - can I set up Ubuntu and try it out, but keep Windows on there in case it all goes horribly wrong?
southbrishammer

Postby Clucking Bell on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:59 am

southbrishammer wrote: How does it work, setting it up on a machine that is currently on Windows - can I set up Ubuntu and try it out, but keep Windows on there in case it all goes horribly wrong?

It depends on how 'full' your machine is. If you've only used, say, 20% of your hard disk space, you can download an Ubuntu disk image and it will create its own partition etc. When you turn on your computer, you'll have the choice of whether to boot to Windows or to Linux. On the other hand, if your hard drive is mostly full, buy a cheap computer and use that as a Linux machine.
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Postby DasNutNock on Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:31 am

southbrishammer wrote:I use Libre Office and toyed with the idea of downloading Ubuntu, but chickened out as I'm not particularly techy - probably unfounded fear of software not working/files being lost etc. How does it work, setting it up on a machine that is currently on Windows - can I set up Ubuntu and try it out, but keep Windows on there in case it all goes horribly wrong?

If you set your machine to be able to boot from USB in the bios, you can boot Ubuntu from a USB disk to see how it runs on your workstation before deciding if you want it permanently installed or not. I see very little point in paying for home computer software any more, but for commercial stuff where you need vendor support, it’s worth having a good support contract in place.
DasNutNock

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:43 pm

How To Dual Boot Linux Mint And Windows 10 [Beginner’s Guide]

This is just one of the many results of searching "Dual boot Windows and Linux"

It's not difficult by ant means but you do need confidence in your ability to follow the instructions.

And don't skip the bit where it says "Back up your data".
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby southbrishammer on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:08 pm

Thanks JBB, that looks doable.
southbrishammer

Postby uptonparkhurst on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:05 pm

If you're dual-booting Windows and Linux (or even Linux and Linux!) you have to be aware of whether the
1st OS on the hard drive was installed with UEFI or BIOS/LEGACY. The 2nd OS must be installed the same way.

The thing is (in my experience on the old machines I use, & the Linux versions I use) ) if you just chuck the install DVD in the drive,(having changed the boot order in the BIOS) you may not see the choice of UEFI or BIOS/LEGACY.
If you choose the "one time boot option" (normally F12) you will probably see the DVD/USB install disk
as two separate entries and you can choose then and there.

Note: your Windows PROBABLY has UEFI and the Linux disk will PROBABLY default to a UEFI install
or show the option once the disk has booted, so you SHOULD be ok. :)
(I never got beyond Windows 7, so wtf do i know?)

As someone has already said, backup your data.
I would heartily recommend getting hold of a spare hard drive - then you can play around without any
fears until you get some confidence with Linux, & the install becomes trivial when you can choose the
"Use entire disk" option - you probably won't have to fart around with partitioning.
uptonparkhurst

Location: On the ground floor, thinking that the "next level" could be the basement

Postby uptonparkhurst on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:38 pm

MUSESCORE

Create songs, instrumentals (even symphonies!).

Enter notes with mouse / computer keyboard/ online piano keyboard/ midi.
Build chords as well as single notes.
Play back the notes you have entered.
Record a wav/mp3 file.

Add instruments (each one can be muted on playback/record). Drums too. Also guitar tabs.

Mixer function to change instruments (e.g piano to organ), change tempo, change key/transpose,

add chord symbols, add lyrics.

Copy/paste/delete functions, like in a word processor, different scores in different tabs.

Create a PDF file of the score.

Windows, Mac, Linux versions all available.

Download from Website - https://musescore.org/en
For LINUX it's probably best to use the version in your distro's repository, even though it might not be the
latest and greatest.

Crash Course
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaitaNxyd8SE_D6PtNvA5vXn8VpXsbA7Z
(You might want to swerve the introduction, as it's boring as hell)
uptonparkhurst

Location: On the ground floor, thinking that the "next level" could be the basement

Return to The Snug