Things you didn't realise ....

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Things you didn't realise ....

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:10 pm

WHU Independent wrote:There is no overtime in your life. You have an amount of time and then you are done. I've woken up to this a while ago and I refuse to work with people I don't like, making money for people I don't know, for not enough money for the work you do and with zero satisfaction for what you do, Live your life as it is your last day because some day it will be.

Amen to that. Realised this a while back and at nearly 50, I realise I have, at best around 20-odd years. Not a great deal of time in the grand scheme of things.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby mushy on Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:38 pm

WHU Independent wrote:There is no overtime in your life. You have an amount of time and then you are done. I've woken up to this a while ago and I refuse to work with people I don't like, making money for people I don't know, for not enough money for the work you do and with zero satisfaction for what you do, Live your life as it is your last day because some day it will be.

Brilliant!
I was lucky enough financially to be able to adopt this policy about 18 months ago.
Its working out fine.
Does mean I post on here a little more often when I cant be bothered to work though.
I will go back when I fancy it, or when I am bored, or when I have nothing better to do.
But only ever on my terms.
mushy

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:18 am

What do you do for money for food and shelter if you’re not working?
DasNutNock

Postby sendô on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:45 am

I was wondering the same, I'd love to be able to tip work b*llocks and go all freelance but that wont pay the mortgage or feed the kids.
sendô

Postby hammerdivone on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:16 am

sendô wrote:I was wondering the same, I'd love to be able to tip work b*llocks and go all freelance but that wont pay the mortgage or feed the kids.

It's taken me a year to get my business to the point where it is. In that year we've had to use our savings, scrimp and save and generally change our lifestyle.

It's hard work, scary and stressful at times, but hopefully things will become a little easier although I am under no illusions it will be famine or feast.
hammerdivone

Postby davids cross on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:43 am

I was 13 years old.

I was giving a 10 min speech about a project I had done on ships/boats to my whole class. Something I knew nothing about and had done little background work on.

I confidently opened with - "There are many big ships around the world. The Queen Elizabeth the second and the QE2 being the two most famous."

To this day I don't know how I allowed my ignorance to be shown to everybody.....I normally cover it up so well.

What followed was a shouting match between the other students and me, which boiled down to this...

Other students - " they're the same thing you idiot " (much laughter)

Me (bluffing) - " I know, ......I just thought I would express it that way" (getting red....and more red)

davids cross

Postby Toulouse_Iron on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:55 am

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
Amen to that. Realised this a while back and at nearly 50, I realise I have, at best around 20-odd years. Not a great deal of time in the grand scheme of things.

As a wise man once said (and this struck a chord with me), "We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one."

Never a truer word.....
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form

Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on

Postby pablo jaye on Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:58 pm

Just clearing out some old Shoot magazines from the loft (75-85) and was reading a ‘Focus On ....’ feature, interviewing Alan Devonshire, who’s middle name is Ernest and when he was a boy he supported QPR and Spurs.
pablo jaye

Postby warp on Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:16 pm

sendô wrote:I was wondering the same, I'd love to be able to tip work b*llocks and go all freelance but that wont pay the mortgage or feed the kids.

sell half of them for medical experiments.
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:46 pm

Up until the age of about 13/14, I didn't know that women sh*t.

I never once thought about it, nor cared, but due to Cindy Crawford's workout video and Jane Fonda and all the other 90s female fitness stuff, I just thought they worked it off.

Imagine my utter horror that all these innocent pretty ladies and my sweet old girl were happily curling out walnut whips the size of cricket balls? :oops:

I grew up FAST after that.
rare as rockinghorse shat

Location: Sponsor my SkyDive for Mind - mental health - http://bit.ly/rars-skydive

Postby the celestial insect on Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:27 pm

pablo jaye wrote:Just clearing out some old Shoot magazines from the loft (75-85) and was reading a ‘Focus On ....’ feature, interviewing Alan Devonshire, who’s middle name is Ernest and when he was a boy he supported QPR and Spurs.

To support one dodgy London club could be considered a misfortune. To support two looks like carelessness.
the celestial insect

Postby chigwells finest on Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:47 pm

Tenbury wrote:That getting old was so s--t.

old in the mind or old in the body ? or both :-)
chigwells finest

Postby Tenbury on Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:41 pm

In many ways, far better if the mind had gone first ( for me that is, rather than those around me) and allowing for the fact that I have ,apparently, a few, er, mental issues, my mind if anything is improving, sadly because most of my working life was spent outside doing physical stuff,the old bodywork is rapidly going South.
[Cue usual rant about raising the pension age, when physical work becomes increasingly difficult]
Tenbury

Postby hammerdivone on Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:38 pm

That having spent 3 days redecorating a spare bedroom including laying a new carpet, that putting up the new IKEA wardrobe would take almost another day!

I've put their stuff together before and none of them took as long as this ****er did!
hammerdivone

Postby Samba on Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:07 am

Tenbury wrote:[Cue usual rant about raising the pension age, when physical work becomes increasingly difficult]

You're well within your rights to rant, Tenbury.
These f***ers that control things like pension age, don't work & have never worked in hard physical labour. They wouldn't know what it was. Or what it's like doing it, as you get older. Hard physical work that is, not sex.

I need to change thread..
Samba

Postby BalaamBoy on Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:39 am

the celestial insect wrote:
To support one dodgy London club could be considered a misfortune. To support two looks like carelessness.

Thank you Lady Bracknell!

I have the same middle name affliction as Dev!! Brilliant!!!
BalaamBoy

Postby scobie on Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:49 am

Just listen to Gladys Knight sing the chorus to "The best Thing That Ever Happened to Me" it still sounds like "If Billy Bonds should ever write my life story". You will never change my mind.
scobie

Postby Rocketron on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:50 pm

scobie wrote:Just listen to Gladys Knight sing the chorus to "The best Thing That Ever Happened to Me" it still sounds like "If Billy Bonds should ever write my life story". You will never change my mind.

:thup:
Rocketron

Postby essexguy on Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:29 pm

That having a child would be so hard.

Doesn't help that we have to deal with severe allergies. :fsake: Poor little fella.
essexguy

Postby kayahammer on Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:47 am

somerset-hammer wrote:That No, means No..

But three 'Nos' means a 'Yes' :thup:
kayahammer

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug