Hernia

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Hernia

Postby Officer Dibble on Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:45 pm

I must be getting old as I have a double Inguinal Hernia.

I have seen a Doctor and I am currently waiting an appointment date to have both removed at the same time.

I'm wondering if anyone else on this site has had the same operation and am intrigued to know how long it took them to recover from the surgery. I am aware that I can't do any strenuous exercise for a few weeks, I have read leaflets and internet pages, but would like an honest opinion from people that have suffered with the same condition.

Thank you
Officer Dibble

Re: Hernia

Postby Los Martillos on Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:34 pm

I had 2 repaired last summer- one on each side. If they use keyhole surgery you will only need 3/4 weeks off work. The worst things are getting surgical stockings on every day for 2 weeks and having to wear a jock strap. After 8 weeks I was playing walking football again. Be warned - I had to wait months for the op. Good luck.
Los Martillos

Postby WHU Independent on Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:41 pm

I had this done years ago with the butchers knife and knitting needles technique - no keyhole surgery there!
Left a large Mars bar as well about 5 inches long.

I was incapacitated for about two weeks in bed - I couldn't even sit up without two nurses helping me up. I then walked on a stick for about 4 weeks and then pottered around hunched over for about another two. Eventually it settled down and I could do light weights. After about 6 months I was back to normal.

A piece of advice: don't put lots of pepper on your dinner and avoid anything similar that will make you sneeze - trust me you just don't want to do it.

Also - it might feel as if you are bleeding inside - you are not - this is the sensation coming back to your repaired nerves and muscles.

Oh and for me, weather like today - snow and coldness - was a b*stard. The minute I walk out of a hot place into the cold the old mesh/muscle Seizes up and I start walking with a bowl fruit would be proud of.
WHU Independent

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:43 pm

What did the policeman say to his hiatus hernia.?

You're under a vest. Pardon?
Hugh Jargon II

Postby spod on Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:46 pm

I had one done a few years ago. Walked a bit funny for a while, but I got some cracking painkillers.
I'm right as rain now, and done weights since (nothing too heavy, because I'm a ponce).
Shouldn't set you back too much.
spod

Postby Officer Dibble on Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:55 pm

Thank you for the replies, having read WHU Independents post I am relieved I will be having keyhole surgery.
Officer Dibble

Postby Toulouse_Iron on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:56 pm

Age has nothing to do with it. I was mid 30s and my neighbour at the time mid 20s when we had it done....
No wimpy keyhole stuff for me, The full 5 inch scar from the base of the sausage, diagonally upwards. Unable to move and petrified to sneeze, cough or laugh (absolute agony) for 2 weeks. I was hobbling very, very slowly after 3 weeks and walking normally after 6.
The strangest thing was the evening before the op, which was first thing the next morning, a nurse came round with a trolley. I thought it was for the evening meal but she took the lid off to reveal an orange Bic disposable razor. She then proceded to dry shave the whole area.....except my left plum :shock: . The rest was as smooth as a baby's bottom but the left ball was fully equipped with its original undergrowth.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form

Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:42 pm

Sorry to hear about your hernia problems , OD , keyhole surgery is brilliant , you'll be back at work in no time .

I had my gallbladder out last August , easiest op ever , I was out within a matter of hours - then a couple of weeks ago my Mrs had her's out - she came out of Theatre at midday and was out of hospital at 4pm .

I was suppose to look after her then 3 days later I had a little accident , I fell bringing 3 bags of coal down our path - I was going backwards thinking it would be easier but it ran away with me and I stumbled and fell on my back with sack barrow and coal on top of me - I thought I'd broken my leg but turns out it was badly gashed , a nice ' U ' shaped cut , skin and blood everywhere , luckily I'd just picked up our Daughter from the train so she was there to lift the coal off my chest and legs , I dread to think what would have happened had I been alone [ it was 9.10pm ] - I received 26 stitches and a few steri-strips then 3 days later the area around the wound turned red , cue 4 days in hospital and 4 bouts of intravenous antibiotics daily .
Had the dressing changed on Monday and part of the wound had turned black ' You are on antibiotics aren't you , I'll have to call the District Nurse about this ? ' said Nursie - didn't fill me full of confidence . :) I'll be seeing the Nurse again tomorrow .
Another impressive scar to add to my collection .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby east_ham on Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:57 am

I had mine at the age of 12 , just before xmas 86 I think , so they can happen at any age.
east_ham

Postby Harry Hound on Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:54 am

Have you had the operation done yet?

I had hernia's on both sides operated on twice when I was 21 and serving in the military, first operations were done in a civilian hospital, I had about two weeks off then light duties for a month or so then back to full on physical and an overseas deployment. Had complications on deployment and had to be repatriated. Put into a military hospital where they did a new surgery with at that time a new mesh technique (nowadays it's fairly common). Then Doctors told me with the mesh technique the hernia would hold forever and would never rupture again. I'm now 52 and have led a very active physical life and have never had a problem since. Had pains sometimes but that's just the nerves tingling etc. but no major issues.
Harry Hound

Location: "just a came from nowhere and going straight back there!"

Postby marcus6 on Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:03 pm

I had open surgery to fix a left side one on the 5th of Feb (aged 30).

My doc explained that keyhole surgery has increased risk of affecting the babymaking gear, so didn’t want to risk that as I haven’t ticked that box yet.

They have to partially cut through the muscle that makes your balls go up and down, so be careful of sitting on them until that heals up, as you’ll constantly be hanging low.

Other than that, everything is pretty much back to normal within 4 weeks.
marcus6

Postby Officer Dibble on Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:52 am

Appointment is next week.

Having both sides done by keyhole, quite pleased as my left testicle currently feels like it is sitting in my rib cage with the way the pain of the hernia.
Officer Dibble

Postby cockney hammer on Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:20 pm

good luck od hope it gos well for you mate :scarfer:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Postby FloridaHammer on Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:22 pm

Had one done lapriscopicaly (by scope) about 25 years ago. The recovery was quite long considering they didn't cut into me. That one had to be repaired after about 17 years. That time they did it in a more traditional manner, they open you up, and that recovery was better quicker. That was 8-years ago and no problems so far.

Good luck
FloridaHammer

Postby Officer Dibble on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:32 pm

Update

Op was earlier this week, everything appears to have gone well.

Stomach feels like I have done thousands of proper sit ups. I can't figure out if I am hungry, bloated or need the toilet, all stomach messages seem to be mixed.

Currently watching bruising appear over parts of me that I never realised could bruise!!

Thank you for all the comments and advice.

OD
Officer Dibble

Postby cockney hammer on Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:45 pm

glad it went well mate when i had the heart by pass operation i had a craving for big mac and chips :D : :D
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Return to The Snug