First Car

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: First Car

Postby 1875Hammer on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:03 am

Step-dad had a Vauxhall Velox until he decided to take out 20 yards of solid stone wall. Still managed to drive it to the scrapyard.
Then had a Renault Dauphin. Minimalist motoring at it's finest. It had brakes made of tracing paper. Disappeared in a puff of rust one day.
1875Hammer

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:46 am

My mum had one of these (1967 Ford Cortina Mk II) that used to be the scene of huge arguments with old man as the worst passenger ever. He couldn't drive at all, but used to shout uncontrollably at my mum and her driving

My first bike was one of these ...

Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Nap on Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:10 pm

First car I remember was my Dad's Talbot Horizon:

My first car was this awesome beast:

Nap
Hates cheese

Postby Toulouse_Iron on Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:40 pm

It's a bit hazy now but I think my Dad had a Maxi, then a Capri

Mum's first car was a clapped out Austin A40

Colours are correct here.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form

Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on

Postby Etonhammer on Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:52 pm

The first I can remember was the old mans Avenger (RUD701P) IIRC

My first was a beat up Vauxhall Viva in a charming 70's cream with added rust
Etonhammer

Location: Laid on the floor seeing 'Jesus saves' painted by an atheist nutter

Postby sendô on Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:52 pm

A red Ford Sierra, 1982 vintage. SOF 592Y, that looked something like the below - although I remember it in much better condition.

That car lasted my parents what seemed like most of my childhood, although I was probably about 10 when they upgraded to a dark grey Sierra Sapphire. G584 WMF.

Odd that I remember the number plates. I can remember the plates of just about every car I've ever owned too.
sendô

Postby Eggs'n'nuts on Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:55 pm

The first car I can remember of my Dad's was a Morris Traveller. My abiding memories of that car was watching him disappear and re-appear at the front of the car when he had to crank start it and my Nan shutting my fingers in the f**king door one day!
Eggs'n'nuts

Postby prophet:marginal on Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:27 pm

My mum re-married, when I was about 10. I have an older sister.

Our new step-dad entered into the equation with his motor....a Datsun Sunny.

We almost died of shame.
prophet:marginal

Postby mushy on Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:37 pm

Neither my Mum or Dad ever had a car, we were the only ones in our street.
My mum did have a full driving licence, garnered without taking a driving test somehow in the second World war.
I think they gave them out like confetti if you volunteered for driving duties.
My Grandad used to visit and he would ferry us around in one of these -:
mushy

Postby WHU_Del on Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:51 pm

Our first one was the slightly posher Imp, a Singer Chamois.
It was originally dark blue, but ended up with so many patches of red oxide primer that my Dad decided to get it resprayed.
So he went to the local motor factors and bought six tins of 'Rallye Red' paint. He stripped the car down, prepped it, primed it and drove it to the bodyshop.
When he went back to pick it up, it was bright baked-bean orange. Of course, he absolutely hit the roof, until the bodyshop showed him an unopened tin of paint that they hadn't used.
WHU_Del

Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Postby WHU_Del on Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:57 pm

hemelite wrote:Then a Viscount, stopped like a tank.

I'd love a Viscount. Huge things, leather and wood everywhere, power steering, electric windows and a 3.3 litre straight-six with a TWO-speed automatic 'box!
WHU_Del

Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Postby view from the shires on Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:07 pm

The first 4 I remenber were:

Triumph Spitfire
Vauxhall Viva
Vauxhall Victor
Triumph Stag (the first car I got to drive). My sister's godfather still owns it I think.

Grandad had a Morris Traveller from before I was born until he died (over 35 years). He had shrunk so much by the end that he was looking through the steering wheel when he drove.

My gran had an Austin 1100 that she never drove as she was another who obtained a licence without ever taking a test. The silly woman also returned a Rolls Royce to some fella and married my granddad instead. :shock: I've always wondered what she did for it?
view from the shires

Postby FrankieMacsPerm on Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:19 pm

Can't post pics cos i'm silly but I remember us all being driven around by my Dad in a Ford Anglia! (like the one in Harry Potter!) Used to drive from Essex to Scotland and back to visit family, always made it with no breakdowns despite 5 of us in it plus luggage.
FrankieMacsPerm

Postby Coops on Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:22 pm

My Dad had a Mexico. He loved that car and was always tinkering with it. When he got a new job he had a company car, an Austin Princess, so he decided to sell the less practical Mexico. It broke his heart.

I bet it would be worth a few quid today.
Coops

Postby ereford ammer on Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:38 pm

My first car was a 1965 mini with a clapped out 848 engine, sliding windows and a pudding stirrer gear stick and was painted in British racing green with wide wheels. Everybody wanted to race me at the lights but it would not pull the skin off a custard. Once I was overtaken by a double decker bus going up a steep hill. :oops:
ereford ammer

Postby tonkaman on Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:13 pm

Earliest car I remember, 1975 Triumph Dolomite Sprint

tonkaman

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:27 pm

ereford ammer wrote:My first car was a 1965 mini with a clapped out 848 engine, sliding windows and a pudding stirrer gear stick and was painted in British racing green with wide wheels. Everybody wanted to race me at the lights but it would not pull the skin off a custard. Once I was overtaken by a double decker bus going up a steep hill. :oops:

Was my first motor too. It was a sickly beige 1969 model. Highlights of driving were any puddles used to immediately soak the distributor resulting in complete loss of power. The bonnet catch being on the outside resulting in my spark plugs being stolen one morning. The floor pan was a mass of rust and on wet days you could observe a swimming pool in the passenger footwell. Oh and the gears were, interesting to say the least.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:39 pm

Coops wrote:My Dad had a Mexico. He loved that car and was always tinkering with it. When he got a new job he had a company car, an Austin Princess, so he decided to sell the less practical Mexico. It broke his heart.

I bet it would be worth a few quid today.

Jesus, flogging a Mexico to get an Austin. That’s a shoddy return. I did like the lines of the Princess, TBH, even if they were BL junk.
DasNutNock

Postby Tenbury on Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:51 pm

I had a wooden mini traveller same vintage,cost £180 off a bloke in Barnsley.( first Mrs Tenbury didn't like my motorbikes).
The compression was so poor that when hot the oil light would come on going up long hills, so you just had to pull over and let it cool down.My idea was to honeymoon in Holland,she decided we'd go to Skye.Getting there took some time.
Tenbury

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:56 pm

First car I actually remember being in was a black Ford Zephyr with an aerial sticking out of the middle of the roof , it looked like an ex Police car [ and it may well have been .

The Old Man of Storr

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug