Buying a council house

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Buying a council house

Postby Hammer1983 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:38 am

Hi All,

Has anyone ever bought a council house on here and can give any advice? Do you have to get a special Mortgage? Can you use your discount as a deposit.

Re: Buying a council house

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:51 am

There’s a website that government run that will give you a valuation on your property. Be warned. It vastly undervalues your house. I was all set to buy one in Kent and when the actual council (housing trust) gave their valuation, it was 50,000 higher. Scuppered my plans big time.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby WHU Independent on Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:59 pm

I bought my council flat and - at the time - it is the best thing I ever did. It was relatively easy to do under the right to buy scheme, and it all just fell into place. I owned it for 26 years. Mine was a flat though, so I feel unqualified to give you advice on a house. Just be wary of service charges and any mandatory building works that the council are planning, if any.
WHU Independent

Postby 3times on Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:28 pm

No special mortgage needed. Some lenders will allow the discount as the deposit so you don't need to find your own. RTB valuations done by the LA tend to be a little under market value. If you sell within the first 5 years you will have to pay back some of the discount - because of this I advise most of mt RTB clients to have a 5 yr fixed rate.

Best thing is to apply for the RTB to see what figures come up.

Return to The Snug