Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Haggling

Postby djclipz on Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:28 pm

pablo jaye wrote:I was in Vietnam a couple of years ago and haggling is the done thing over there for everything. Got used to it pretty swiftly but then realised the value of what I was haggling ... about 3000 Dong, which equated to about 10p. It almost reminded me of the market scene in Life Of Brian!!

Same in China, i remember haggling down on some decorative chopsticks for a gift. My mate about a minute later, got a similar pack from the same woman about a 3rd cheaper... i stood there and said, you cheeky b*stard joking to my mate, the woman selling just smiled and gave me a fridge magnet and said 'all ok now?' :lol:

But yeah the price back in sterling was stupidly small, but it was quite a fun game whenever you bought anything over there.

Postby Monkeybubbles on Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:49 pm

"Football club, football club here.....only £600million to you my friend, £600million....."

Postby pablo jaye on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:38 pm

Monkeybubbles wrote:"Football club, football club here.....only £600million to you my friend, £600million....."

I think you should be getting your CV over to GSB pronto!! :wink:
pablo jaye

Postby Algarve Hammer on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:47 pm

I had a bit of an issue with my 'phone/internet provider and told them I wanted to leave, they asked me what they could do to make me stay, after some haggling I now have.........

Totally unlimited internet, only 12mbps but I live in the middle of nowhere, there is no 4g coverage, no fibre, so 12 is actually quite good. I stream all of my TV and movies and have never had an issue.
200 minutes to any landline in Europe, 24hrs a day.
Unlimited calls to any landline in Portugal, 24hrs a day.
60 minutes to any mobile in Portugal, 24hrs a day and if I use all of that I then get half price to Vodafone as me and Mrs AH are both on that network.

All for €22.98 per month.

I think that's a good deal, but it did take some haggling. :)
Algarve Hammer

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:59 pm

Sky TV and BT are open to a bit of haggling .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby vietnammer on Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:58 am

Monkeybubbles wrote:"Football club, football club here.....only £600million to you my friend, £600million....."

"I'm a fool to meself"
Bucky the beaver

Postby rigoberts song on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:22 am

Motor insurance every time every year
I even get them to wave the admin fee chuck in free legal cover courtesy car etc.
I get the quote through ring them up tell them nicely I'm happy with their service and don't want to change but company x (usually their competitors down the road ) are think of a random figure here 82.00 or something cheaper :if you can match that I will give you the credit card payment now.Never fails.
I do it to A plan and bridle insurance and have done for years .hope it saves you a few quid.
rigoberts song

Postby Hampshire Hammer on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:55 am

I remember when I was working in Saudi and back in the UK visiting I went shopping with my girlfriend of the time. She found some she wanted in a clothes shop priced at £25 so when we got to the till I said to the girl "I'll give you £10", she just stood there with her mouth open :lol: The manager then came over and said £20 for cash. I still tend to ask for the cash price on large items with mixed success.

My fiance is better at haggling than I am, she's just talked a guy into knocking money off a new mobility scooter for my step-father and then talked him into offering more for trading in the old one.
Hampshire Hammer

Return to The Snug