the dinner thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2639 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Re: the dinner thread

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

jevs wrote:Cooked the Mrs Surloin steak last night. Crispy potatoes, green beans, broccoli, courgettes and creamy pepper sauce. Raspberry pavlova for pudding.

Bloody handsome and the first decent dinner i've eaten for 3 weeks after illness.
Is Mrs Surloin your wife or someone else's ?
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

jevs wrote:Cooked the Mrs Surloin steak last night. Crispy potatoes, green beans, broccoli, courgettes and creamy pepper sauce. Raspberry pavlova for pudding.
Bloody handsome and the first decent dinner i've eaten for 3 weeks after illness.
The Old Man of Storr wrote:Is Mrs Surloin your wife or someone else's ?
Probably got a nice rump, whoever she is..
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 854 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

DasNutNock wrote:Yesterday, oven baked lamb chops with rosemary, lemons, garlic, onions, olive oil, olives & seasoning, with sweet potato chips and salad. Chuffing nice.

Tonight, lamb shoulder pieces marinaded in oregano, rose wine, oil, garlic, lemons, pepper. Will skewer later then cook on a screaming hot griddle, and serve with home made flatbreads, red cabbage & pickled red onions.

Roast Leg of Lamb today??? Have you got a whole lamb in the freezer!?
Thanks
King Prawn, Chicken and Chorizo paella last night and it was most enjoyable.
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

roast pork today
with all the trimmings
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Friday - Spring rolls, home made 'takeaway style' crispy chicken with lemon sauce and bannoffe pie.

Saturday - Haggis, Neeps and Tatties

Tonight - Brocoli, Cauliflower and macaroni cheese
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:Roast Leg of Lamb today??? Have you got a whole lamb in the freezer!?
No & no (more’s the pity). Baked tofu satay and stir fry vegetables for supper today.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Fridady - Home made red lentil, potato, carrot, courgette, pea and kidney bean stew, with Fennel, garlic, madras curry powder and Scotch Bonnet sauce.

Saturday - Chips, two country LM pies and minty peas.

Sunday - YGANTES -Organic Giant Beans cooked with Red Peppers & Sun dried Tomato in a smoky, full bodied sauce. From Gaia Pulses, Hackney.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

Burgers and sweet potato wedges last night. Got some sliced smoked cheese to melt over the patty under the grill before serving. Top drawer.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

Monk fish tails (sous vide) finished off in the pan in butter and freshly ground black pepper served on a bed of pan seared little gem lettuce and cockles
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 854 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

^^^ Sounds delicious old fart.

Roast Gammon, roasted potatoes, broccoli, parsnips & carrots, lashings of gravy and a big dollop of Colman's English Mustard. Home-made macaroni pudding for afters.
FreeWheeling

Post by FreeWheeling »

Neapolitan pizza home made
chicken wings covered in sweet baby rays BBQ sauce, with added chilly flakes
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Took the kids to Harvester last night. The place was packed. I can see why.

I fed all three of them for £12, and half a chicken, plus chips, corn on the cob and some ribs with a pint of Guinness came to £18 which was also reasonable.

Their "famous salad bar" is still utter crap though.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

old fart wrote:Monk fish tails (sous vide) finished off in the pan in butter and freshly ground black pepper served on a bed of pan seared little gem lettuce and cockles
My mate at work keeps banging on about his one. Reckons he done the best non-restaurant steak he's ever had with it. Has an app which you will turn it on as well, so he sticks it in their in the morning and then sets it accordingly at work to be ready for when he gets home, whatever's doing just needs a quick flash fry.

Worth it as much as he says?
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I’ve not tried those clip-on sous vide water heater things, but they’re sound enough in principle. Is that what you used, OF?

In other news, the wife made home-made fish fingers for the kids. I returned from work and the house f*cking mings of fish. She goes radio if the house so much as vaguely smells of curry, but “can’t smell” the fish stench whenever she cooks it. Curry is a MUCH nicer background smell than fish. Really killed my appetite.
V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Cheese and onion pasties with chips. And I made some beans with Encona Carolina Reaper sauce, just to make it interesting.

Food was good, my 8 year old demolishing the left over chilli beans without a care was more worrying.
old fart

Post by old fart »

Sous vide great for steak, all fish, poached eggs are fabulous and even sous a 3kg salted brisket over 36 hours was beautiful
FreeWheeling

Post by FreeWheeling »

sous vide ?
Had to google it, great now thats another bloody gadget I must have, the Mrs will give me that look when it turns up
Not told her yet that I am really considering building a wood fired oven in the garden
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

What sort of price would I expect to pay for a decent sous vide? Are they good for everyday cooking or more of a weekend thing?
old fart

Post by old fart »

FreeWheeling wrote:sous vide ?
Had to google it, great now thats another bloody gadget I must have, the Mrs will give me that look when it turns up
Not told her yet that I am really considering building a wood fired oven in the garden
My next project
old fart

Post by old fart »

jastons wrote:What sort of price would I expect to pay for a decent sous vide? Are they good for everyday cooking or more of a weekend thing?
Bought mine for 50 or 60 quid from Andrew James got a free vacuum pack machine with it.

You can't overcook with a sous vide vacuum seal a couple of steaks and leave it all day at low temp and they're ready when you get home