the dinner thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DasNutNock

Re: the dinner thread

Post by DasNutNock »

Sweated some onions, carrot, baby tomatoes from the allotment & celery then sat to one side. Crumbled a skinned pack of sausages into the pan and cooked through with some black pepper, salt and loads of crushed fennel seeds. Deglazed with a glass of white, added the veg back in and served with good pasta. Most satisfactory.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Zereshk polo ba morgh
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

vietnammer wrote:Zereshk polo ba morgh
Gesundheit.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Chicken casserole with roast potatoes made by my wonderful girlfriend.
Monkey Mike
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Monkey Mike »

DasNutNock wrote:Sweated some onions, carrot, baby tomatoes from the allotment & celery then sat to one side. Crumbled a skinned pack of sausages into the pan and cooked through with some black pepper, salt and loads of crushed fennel seeds. Deglazed with a glass of white, added the veg back in and served with good pasta. Most satisfactory.
Nice
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

Popped into an Asian food shop looking for some instant Pho soup noodles. They didn't have Pho but did have some other soup noodle which I went for. Bought some bean sprouts, lime, chillis, coriander, chicken and pak choi.

End result; needs Pho noodles. This didn't work.
Monkey Mike

Post by Monkey Mike »

Roast loin of pork with crackling, roast potatoes, Yorkshire puddings, cauliflower and broccoli cheese, brussel sprouts, green beans, peas and cabbage with gravy. Washed down with a few beers.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Monkey Mike wrote:Roast loin of pork with crackling, roast potatoes, Yorkshire puddings, cauliflower and broccoli cheese, brussel sprouts, green beans, peas and cabbage with gravy. Washed down with a few beers.
Sounds amazing :thup:
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Monkey Mike wrote:Roast loin of pork with crackling, roast potatoes, Yorkshire puddings, cauliflower and broccoli cheese, brussel sprouts, green beans, peas and cabbage with gravy. Washed down with a few beers.
Having something broadly similar tonight - cooked a pork belly on saturday in wine, thyme, fennel & garlic, and have had it pressing in the fridge since then. Couple of chunks each in the oven for 20 mins, with similar (if inferior) sides to yours, with gravy for a fairly straightforward supper.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

Slow braised Lamb shanks in port and stilton sauce with fluffy white peppered, buttered creamed mashed potatoes

Lemon meringue pie for a palate cleanse

A decent bottle of claret
Monkey Mike

Post by Monkey Mike »

Dan - outstanding prep, sir. Sounds lovely. We have a chest freezer so batch cook and freeze portions. Works brilliantly midweek when you come home after work and have a decent home cooked meal in no time.
Monkey Mike

Post by Monkey Mike »

old fart wrote:Slow braised Lamb shanks in port and stilton sauce with fluffy white peppered, buttered creamed mashed potatoes

Lemon meringue pie for a palate cleanse

A decent bottle of claret
Sounds amazing. Haven't had lamb shanks in ages.
Monkey Mike

Post by Monkey Mike »

Was slightly hungover this morning and currently working from home, so went to our local butchers and bought a sausage roll for breakfast and a jumbo Cornish pastie for tea to have with homemade chips. Can't decide between baked beans or peas and gravy though.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2427 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

Chicken Cacciatore.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Monkey Mike wrote:Dan - outstanding prep, sir. Sounds lovely. We have a chest freezer so batch cook and freeze portions. Works brilliantly midweek when you come home after work and have a decent home cooked meal in no time.
I dream of owning a chest freezer. I used to be really good at stuff like that - making lasagnes and curries and the like, sized to fit those little foil trays you can get. Now our meagre freezer is stuffed full of ***** - near-empty ice cream tubs, huge packs of fish goujons for the kids, bags of ice that we apparently require.

Bah.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

And bags of breadcrumbs, which according to Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, is an excellent way of saving money.
Moxy

Post by Moxy »

Trout, jacket potato and peas and sweet corn
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Monkey Mike wrote:Was slightly hungover this morning and currently working from home, so went to our local butchers and bought a sausage roll for breakfast and a jumbo Cornish pastie for tea to have with homemade chips. Can't decide between baked beans or peas and gravy though.

Baked beans, no question

Last night was slow cooked beef casserole, served up in a giant yorkshire pud with roast tatties, broccoli and fresh carrots from the field opposite that farmer had left behind from harvesting. It was all delicious but the carrots were outstanding.
Monkey Mike

Post by Monkey Mike »

Chicken, it sounds stupid doesn't it, but proper carrots, fresh and local taste of carrots. Makes supermarket carrots tasteless in comparison.

I had beans in the end with my pastie. Absolutely filthy.
Monkey Mike

Post by Monkey Mike »

DasNutNock wrote:And bags of breadcrumbs, which according to Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, is an excellent way of saving money.
I don't know what I'd do without my chest freezer. Even little things like Yorkshire puddings. I cook batches of 12, normally there's 2 or 3 left over, so I freeze them and use them midweek. Chilli, curry, stew, pie mix, braised sliced meat after a roast in gravy. All makes it so much easier for the rest of the week.
Last edited by Monkey Mike on Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.