the dinner thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

the dinner thread

Post by cockney hammer »

i guess we have breakfast so i thought i would bring this one back

today it is karens home made shepuerd's pie with cabbage carrots and peas

what are you guy's having
DasNutNock

Re: the dinner thread

Post by DasNutNock »

I fear the half lamb shoulder I dug out the freezer isn’t going to defrost in time, so a Sunday roast it is. Minus the roast, sadly, but a pack of sausages will suffice, especially if I serve with my mandatory 3 pints of bread sauce (Delia’s recipe).
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1953 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Rum
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Monkeybubbles wrote:Rum

lol
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

Sausage egg and chips, chips done old style in a pan using beef dripping
No roasts for me for a few weeks, deep cleaned the oven as we move house in less than two weeks and i am ****ed if i am cleaning it again
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

DasNutNock wrote:I fear the half lamb shoulder I dug out the freezer isn’t going to defrost in time, so a Sunday roast it is. Minus the roast, sadly, but a pack of sausages will suffice, especially if I serve with my mandatory 3 pints of bread sauce (Delia’s recipe).

my favourite all time dinner is raost lamb this is one of my bug bears and one of the questions i ask most is what has happend to lamb?

it has lost it's flavour it just tastes bland i do not understand it where has the flavour gone? same as when you have a lamb kebab
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

FreeWheeling wrote:Sausage egg and chips, chips done old style in a pan using beef dripping
No roasts for me for a few weeks, deep cleaned the oven as we move house in less than two weeks and i am ****ed if i am cleaning it again

mate you enjoy that fantastic
Rowly
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Rowly »

I've just this minute made a beef bourgiugnon (Mary Berry recipe out the Radio Times) which is now doing it's thing in the oven for the next couple of hours.
FreeWheeling

Post by FreeWheeling »

Make your own lamb kebabs CH
slice shoulder of lamb, onions and in a bag throw in some cumin, paprika and ground pepper and a few glugs of oil,
mix it up and let it marinate for as long as you like, the last two hours before cooking throw in some salt and lemon
cook on a griddle pan
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1205 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Tonight, as eldest is at Goodwood old car thing, had a vote and it's pulled pork(been in the slow-cooker since yesterday), apple sauce made with the last of the Bramley's, shredded savoy , and cheesy mash. Lemon polenta cake and cream for pud.Quite looking forward to it.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 854 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

For a change no Sunday roast today. Sirloin Steak with Jacket potato, field mushrooms, oven roasted red onion and salad on the side. Washed down with a nice bottle of Argentine Malbec.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

cockney hammer wrote:my favourite all time dinner is raost lamb this is one of my bug bears and one of the questions i ask most is what has happend to lamb?

it has lost it's flavour it just tastes bland i do not understand it where has the flavour gone? same as when you have a lamb kebab
Completely agree. A lot of the supermarket lamb we get tastes of very little beyond the spices and aromatics added to the meat. I think it’s the rush to get it processed and into the shelves and it doesn’t get long enough to mature and develop much flavour. No-one buys hoggat or mutton any more, which is a huge shame, as the flavour you get from them is something else.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

FreeWheeling wrote:Make your own lamb kebabs CH
slice shoulder of lamb, onions and in a bag throw in some cumin, paprika and ground pepper and a few glugs of oil,
mix it up and let it marinate for as long as you like, the last two hours before cooking throw in some salt and lemon
cook on a griddle pan
Jamie Oliver’s Friday night celebrity sycophancy thing did a fantastic lamb shoulder kebab recently (Greg Davies) with flatbreads. His coleslaw was a bit **** but the meat prep and breads were lovely.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Well done Cockney Hammer for bringing this thread back.

The last time we had this it was amazing the amount of recipes I picked up from it and still use the tips today.

It's really great to see how other people prepare their grub and very enlightening. :)
FreeWheeling

Post by FreeWheeling »

We always have flatbreads with the kebabs Dan. very rarely but Pitta bread these days
Status Kev
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Status Kev »

Bacon, Egg & Chips with HP sauce and bread & butter.
Not the usual Sunday option but both the kids are out so not worth doing a dinner just for me and 'er indoors.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

FreeWheeling wrote:We always have flatbreads with the kebabs Dan. very rarely but Pitta bread these days
Do you make your own? That Jamie recipe (1:1 yoghurt & fund-raising flour) makes excellent flatbread to griddle.
FreeWheeling

Post by FreeWheeling »

Nope, despite hours and hours of cooking stuff I am too bone idle to make my own flatbreads, I can't work it out either !
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I'd buy them if I could get decent ones but the long life jobs in our local supermarkets are all *****.
FreeWheeling

Post by FreeWheeling »

They are not brilliant, but edible if slapped on a griddle that has been on the main gas ring for a good time to get some proper heat in it