Children should revise for 7 hours a day...

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Children should revise for 7 hours a day...

Postby the celestial insect on Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:29 pm

This expert says that children should revise for 7 hours a day over Easter.

What do the parents among you think?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-43599684
the celestial insect

Re: Children should revise for 7 hours a day...

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:36 pm

There’s plenty of truth in this statement:

"The best GCSE and A-level results don't go to the cleverest students - they go to those who revised in the Easter holidays."

7 hours seems fairly excessive, but the ones who are going to get the results to take them to Oxford & Cambridge will be in and around those numbers. Not all of them, of course, but lots will.
DasNutNock

Postby prophet:marginal on Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:38 pm

My daughter, bless her, is properly putting in the time to get her revision in order. All lists, coloured pens, bells and whistles.

She's at the local comprehensive that prides itself on grades and hard work and her teachers have all sent the bins home with a different message - take a breather over this weekend / relax with family ...

...and eyes down for a full house from Monday onwards.

7 hours a day is for the last week before the exams start. Way too much pressure on a 15/16 year old to suggest it now.
prophet:marginal

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:39 pm

I see in that article one teacher disagreed, citing work life balance being crucial to children. Yeah? Well that leaves them a further 17 hours a day to find that balance, doesn’t it.
DasNutNock

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:59 pm

**** that. Let kids be kids. Don't turn them into academic robots. Let them live a little, they'll learn far more about life than they ever will from an exercise book.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:15 pm

Ban homework. All time at home for fun and families. The teachers and kids should stay in school until 18:00. Please note this would mean teachers might have to work more that the current average of 17 hours a week (taking into account lunch breaks, morning and afternoons and 12 weeks a year annual.)The teachers could even mark work during the study periods from 1500- 1800.

This may be a shock for teachers (bearing in mind 3 days off with snow none of them managed to mark my kids mock a levels)
Hugh Jargon II

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:24 pm

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:**** that. Let kids be kids. Don't turn them into academic robots. Let them live a little, they'll learn far more about life than they ever will from an exercise book.

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, life lessons won’t get you very far in an increasingly globalised world. For every kid born in the Uk now, there’s 50 in India and China, that’ll be competing with them for jobs in the coming years.
DasNutNock

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:25 pm

Hugh Jargon II wrote:Ban homework. All time at home for fun and families. The teachers and kids should stay in school until 18:00. Please note this would mean teachers might have to work more that the current average of 17 hours a week (taking into account lunch breaks, morning and afternoons and 12 weeks a year annual.)The teachers could even mark work during the study periods from 1500- 1800.

This may be a shock for teachers (bearing in mind 3 days off with snow none of them managed to mark my kids mock a levels)

Now this I completely agree with.
DasNutNock

Postby Coops on Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:10 pm

All kids are different, some need more time than others some won't learn no matter how many hours they spend staring at a book.
Coops

Postby mumbles87 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:39 pm

Hugh Jargon II wrote:Ban homework. All time at home for fun and families. The teachers and kids should stay in school until 18:00. Please note this would mean teachers might have to work more that the current average of 17 hours a week (taking into account lunch breaks, morning and afternoons and 12 weeks a year annual.)The teachers could even mark work during the study periods from 1500- 1800.

little known thing about teachers is they actually have ZERO holidays.. mad as it sounds

when reading my wifes contract I found she gets paid in lieu of 4 weeks holidays that she cant take when she wants.. and then when the school is shut (school holidays) she is unemployed...

didnt go down well when I said you could get a part time summer job pay your way
mumbles87

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:42 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Whilst I agree with your sentiment, life lessons won’t get you very far in an increasingly globalised world. For every kid born in the Uk now, there’s 50 in India and China, that’ll be competing with them for jobs in the coming years.

Jeez mate, having a good job isn't the be-all-and-end-all of life. How about developing a personality? How about discovering a new interest or hobby? How about just being a kid?
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Hammers Dad on Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:50 pm

mumbles87 wrote:
little known thing about teachers is they actually have ZERO holidays.. mad as it sounds

when reading my wifes contract I found she gets paid in lieu of 4 weeks holidays that she cant take when she wants.. and then when the school is shut (school holidays) she is unemployed...

didnt go down well when I said you could get a part time summer job pay your way

If that was the case, wouldn't they need to sign a new contract every term?
At a minimum every September.

I sort of agree with Hugh though I would only give them 6 weeks holiday a year; 2 in the summer, two at Christmas and one week at the end of term
Hammers Dad

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:52 pm

I didn’t say it was the be-all end-all, but I don’t understand why anyone would think that hard work prevents the development of a personality, or hobbies and interests.
DasNutNock

Postby mumbles87 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:01 pm

Hammers dad no it’s built into the contract

They are basically free to do what they want when school is closed

Think it’s clever tbh means if they changed the school holidays they have no say in it because it’s in their contract
mumbles87

Postby pablo jaye on Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:58 am

An interesting assumption Hugh, and I know many teachers who would love you to be the Education Secretary. Have you factored in all of the time planning for lessons, preparing the classroom, after school meetings with parents, staff meetings, attending PTA meetings, getting to grips with regular changes in the National Curriculum? Missus Jaye is a primary school teacher, teaching 6-7 year olds and probably ends up working closer to a 60 hour week, once she has done all of that. Many of her contemporaries are the same.
pablo jaye

Postby prophet:marginal on Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:34 am

Our kids' school is a very determined task master.

Teachers who don't put in the kind of shift Pablo described above never make it out of their probationary periods.

I can see that it might differ from school to school, but teachers get a bad press these days.
prophet:marginal

Postby Monkeybubbles on Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:47 am

I'm pretty sure none of us know the right answer. I doubt that there even is a "right answer".

I just wanted my kids to be happy. I kinda think that the ability to communicate and relate with people is a more valuable asset than a good grade, so I was OK with them developing their social skills rather than cramming the periodic intervals.

Monkeybubbles Jr Sr surprised us all last year by getting a first, with the highest grades ever for his course. I'd like to think that part of the reason he did well is that we supported him rather than guided him. Or maybe he just takes after his mum.
Monkeybubbles

Postby vietnammer on Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:09 pm

No, it's cos you bribed the examiners :lol:
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby Tenbury on Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:22 pm

I've no problem with my daughter putting in the hours in the run up to these exams but if she thought that busting her arse to get on, get a decent job and acquire loads of stuff was priority one,I reckon I'd be pretty disappointed.
Tenbury

Postby DasNutNock on Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:33 pm

How many of us can realistically say we’ve ever sat an exam and thought afterwards “I wish I hadn’t revised so much, and had done something else with that time?”.
DasNutNock

Next

Return to The Snug